• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Seattle is Here: Release the Kraken!

Phil

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering our last new names have been the Golden Knights, Blue Jackets, and Wild.. I'm fine with a little creativity, even if borderline silly.. A little eccentricity is never a bad thing

I'll give you Golden Knights but I think their branding was good enough to overcome. Wild and CBJ makes sense to me. It at least has something to do with the area. Kraken is a fictional animal that has no relation to Seattle...

It's fine. Hopefully they nail their jerseys/logo/etc.

I like the name. I remember it being one of the few I liked on the list. A team name like Rainiers or Sockeyes, which I also liked, might have been more appropriate given the link to Seattle for both of those, but I think the art work and jersey based around a Kraken concept can be exceptional if done right.

I don’t think it’s that bad. Half the sport names are just dumb anyway. Rangers? Z z z z z z

Tex's NY Rangers were corporate sponsored, "NY Americans" weren't. How American.

And the Rangers is so great, they even have a major league baseball team with the same name. Any other team names represented in multiple team sports' highest level? Besides Kraken, obviously

All new names are dumb. They're all synthetic products of corporations, which are by default, poisononous trash.

I thought my suggestion of "LV Clubs" was both good and corp friendly. And Seattle Sea Greens/Greens - same thing, marijuana industry booming! and they can use the 'kraken' logo.

The best thing to do is call yourself the Seattle Hockey Club. The fan base will determine a nickname over time, organically.

Naturally, that's really dumb from a marketing/corporate perspective, which is how you know it's the right way to do it, ultimately.

The biggest sports clubs in the world don't have gimmicky nicknames.

However, you see how material things like 8th jersey releases are fawned over here, and I see how my kid picks his fav teams and I get it, it's just a shortcut IMO.

All new names are dumb. They're all synthetic products of corporations, which are by default, poisononous trash.

Leafs

Canadiens

Flyers

Red Wings

These are all dumb names.

Heck, even the Rangers are built off of a Texas joke. So, wrong ocean but who cares, really?

What would work? Emeralds? Coffee beans? Frasiers?

Leafs

Canadiens

Flyers

Red Wings

These are all dumb names.

Heck, even the Rangers are built off of a Texas joke. So, wrong ocean but who cares, really?

What would work? Emeralds? Coffee beans? Frasiers?

A Texas joke? no. lol. a dude name Tex Rickman, IIRC.

Leafs, Canadiens are two of the best names.

I think the Flyers went with the name last minute after a failed fan vote for Liberty Bells and Sabres (I could be wrong, here, too late to look up).

I think Red Wings revolves around motor city (the wheel)

OK, so the iconic names are dumb, but naming a sports club after the latest pop culture reference is cool. You would probably be correct from a marketing perspective, but I'll also assume you're patiently waiting for the next Marvel release.

OK, so the iconic names are dumb, but naming a sports club after the latest pop culture reference is cool. You would probably be correct from a marketing perspective, but I'll also assume you're patiently waiting for the next Marvel release.
Yea, God forbid he actually spend 3 hours being entertained and shutting his brain off.

You're so "woke"!

Don't let the big corporate NHL naming machine get you down Dunny. I'm here if you need a shoulder to cry on.

• Like 1

I think the Flyers went with the name last minute after a failed fan vote for Liberty Bells and Sabres (I could be wrong, here, too late to look up).

Yes, hence a Tex(as) joke. The leafs and canadiens are about as low hanging as naming your team the Americans or the Eagles.

Old doesn't mean good.

Yea, God forbid he actually spend 3 hours being entertained and shutting his brain off.

You're so "woke"!

Don't let the big corporate NHL naming machine get you down Dunny. I'm here if you need a shoulder to cry on.

I am woke, thanks.

I sometimes let my youngest son briefly dance to youtube videos on TV, as long as he isn't too gratuitous about it.

Wasn't a failed fan vote - Ed Snider's sister came up with it.

The Red Wings actually have a funny logo history - James Norris basically stole the logo from a defunct hockey team he played for as a kid called the Winged Wheelers, and swapped the color palette to red.

The best thing to do is call yourself the Seattle Hockey Club. The fan base will determine a nickname over time, organically.

Naturally, that's really dumb from a marketing/corporate perspective, which is how you know it's the right way to do it, ultimately.

The biggest sports clubs in the world don't have gimmicky nicknames.

However, you see how material things like 8th jersey releases are fawned over here, and I see how my kid picks his fav teams and I get it, it's just a shortcut IMO.

I love this idea. MLS is doing this, and yeah it might be more of a "european thing", but it's really clean. Gives it a sense of class and history even if there isn't any. Seattle has had teams in the past so Hockey Club could celebrate all of that.

Kraken, a sea beast from mythology familiar mainly to dudes wearing mangy Kurt Cobain sweaters and hanging out in coffee shops where they play backgammon at best and Dungeon and Dragons at worst. At least they don't defecate on the sidewalk. Vancouver once had a team called the Millionaires. Why not the Seattle Billionaires?