• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

My Case for Signing Strome AND Kreider

ThirtyONE

I think 4M is a touch low for the cutoff on complementary/role players. Maybe a few years ago. With cap increases, I see it more as 4.5-5M which is where I would suspect Strome would be at (4-5 years length), but I have always agreed with your sentiment of avoiding danger zone contracts. I don't view Strome @ 4.5-5M as a danger zone contract given what he has brought to the team. It would always be tradeable, so I'd probably be more concerned with what trade protection is required to sign him. I suspect he'd value trade protection more than extra $, given how much he likes it in NY.

Chris Kreider @ 7M is the guy I see as a danger zone contract. He's not a line driver and that kind of cap space being clogged up is tough to take when he's not producing, which has been too often in his career. That cap hit also makes it very difficult to move, and on top of whatever trade protection you'd have to give him.

If it were up to me right now, I'd be keeping Strome because he makes sense cap wise and plays a position of need. And I'd be letting Kreider go.

Not now. But in 3, 4, 5 seasons... thats the issue that gets the Rangers. Guys live up to their contracts the first few seasons, but when you are overpaying complimentary guys, or similarly role players, it eventually comes back to haunt you.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strome has also played with on teams with Tavares and McDavid/Draisaitl and never produced like this. I think its pretty clear they compliment each other well and have some special chemistry. All the more reason Strome might be willing to take a team friendly deal to keep himself in this situation.

He didn?t skate on a line with those elite players though.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk