Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top Free Agents Available by Position

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Guys like Lindgren and Rykov need to be swapped in for each other.

No reason for Staal to be a 7th. He'll get some nights off.
    Unless something unexpected happens in camp I’d look at something like

Skjei-Trouba
    Hajek/Rykov-Fox
    Staal-DeAngelo
    Hajek/Rykov

Absolutely no harm in rotating Hajek and Rykov as the 7th d, at least until their performance dictate otherwise. 40ish games for those two would be just fine.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Unless something unexpected happens in camp I’d look at something like

Skjei-Trouba
    Hajek/Rykov-Fox
    Staal-DeAngelo
    Hajek/Rykov

Absolutely no harm in rotating Hajek and Rykov as the 7th d, at least until their performance dictate otherwise. 40ish games for those two would be just fine.
    Lindgren could be in that mix too.

So many Left D in the organization right now that are relatively close
    Hajek
    Rykov
    Lindgren
    Reunanen

Then Miller and now Matthew Robertson

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Lindgren could be in that mix too.

So many Left D in the organization right now that are relatively close
    Hajek
    Rykov
    Lindgren
    Reunanen

Then Miller and now Matthew Robertson
    overall the depth on the back end is strong. the guys already mentioned, as well as lundkvist and Nico Gross, I don't see how we don't end up with an entirely prospect driven, cost controlled back end that turns out to be really good

Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    overall the depth on the back end is strong. the guys already mentioned, as well as lundkvist and Nico Gross, I don't see how we don't end up with an entirely prospect driven, cost controlled back end that turns out to be really good
    It reminds me of 10 years ago when had the last strong crop of defensemen coming up over a 3-4 year period.

Tyutin
    Staal
    Girardi
    Del Zotto
    Sauer
    McDonough
    Stralman

Not to mention other notables that didn't quite pan out like:

Thomas Pock
    Bobby Sanguetti
    Matt Gilroy
    Dylan McIlrath

Even though none of the first group arguably went on to being perennial all star defenseman, the Rangers defense was for a long time, a major strength of this team and majorly cost controlled. Maybe they held on to Staal & Girardi too long, and probably should have extended Stralman, but nobody can really argue about having such a strong core of defenseman. If our current crop of defense prospects has that same or better level of success, the Rangers defense should be in good shape for the next 10+ years, despite the work in progress it is now.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyInTheMiddle View Post
    It reminds me of 10 years ago when had the last strong crop of defensemen coming up over a 3-4 year period.

Tyutin
    Staal
    Girardi
    Del Zotto
    Sauer
    McDonough
    Stralman

Thomas Pock
    Bobby Sanguetti
    Matt Gilroy
    Dylan McIlrath

Even though none of the first group arguably went on to being perennial all star defenseman, the Rangers defense was for a long time, a major strength of this team and majorly cost controlled. Maybe they held on to Staal & Girardi too long, and probably should have extended Stralman, but nobody can really argue about having such a strong core of defenseman. If our current crop of defense prospects has that same or better level of success, the Rangers defense should be in good shape for the next 10+ years, despite the work in progress it is now.
    Your timelines are way off. Staal was on the team for 3 seasons before Mac arrived. Tyutin was like 4 years before Staal. Stralman was acquired as a 25 y.o. free agent.

They've never had a defensive pipeline like this, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Your timelines are way off. Staal was on the team for 3 seasons before Mac arrived. Tyutin was like 4 years before Staal. Stralman was acquired as a 25 y.o. free agent.

They've never had a defensive pipeline like this, not even close.
    Way to nitpick. Tyutin debuted in 2003-4 for 25 games before the locked out lost season, before taking a full time role in 2005-6. McDonaugh debuted in 2010-11with Girardi, Staal, & Del Zotto already playing prominent roles. Fine it was a 4-5 year window(or 6-7 year window if you really want to measure Tyutin's first game to Stralman's) instead of a 3-4 year window. You get the Blueshirts Brotherhood fact checker award for August.

Don't know how you can argue though that this was not a defensive pipeline though, in that they were all drafted or signed as undeveloped free agents over a reasonably short window.
    Last edited by MuddyInTheMiddle; 08-16-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Moderator Junior Division
    Way to nitpick. Tyutin debuted in 2003-4 for 25 games before the locked out lost season, before taking a full time role in 2005-6. McDonaugh debuted in 2010-11with Girardi, Staal, & Del Zotto already playing prominent roles. Fine it was a 4-5 year window(or 6-7 year window if you really want to measure Tyutin's first game to Stralman's) instead of a 3-4 year window. You get the Blueshirts Brotherhood fact checker award for August.

Don't know how you can argue though that this was not a defensive pipeline though, in that they were all drafted or signed as undeveloped free agents over a reasonably short window.
    I mean you can say at one point they had 6-7 guys in their system who were, presumably, good. But you mentioned Tyutin, drafted in 2001 and Stralman acquired in 2011. Tyutin left in 2008. You're referencing a decades' worth of players with a couple who were never even really in the pipeline (Mac, Stralman).

If you would've just said that they had a good group around 2010, then fine. But it's not close at all to the pipeline BBBE was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I mean you can say at one point they had 6-7 guys in their system who were, presumably, good. But you mentioned Tyutin, drafted in 2001 and Stralman acquired in 2011. Tyutin left in 2008. You're referencing a decades' worth of players with a couple who were never even really in the pipeline (Mac, Stralman).

If you would've just said that they had a good group around 2010, then fine. But it's not close at all to the pipeline BBBE was talking about.
    This must be the middle of August of we are debating minutia like this. Sticking with your thought process, if McDonaugh was never in the pipeline then I guess Lingdren, Rykov, & Hajek are not either since none of them were drafted by the Rangers either.

Rather than spending energy debating what is and is not a "pipeline" which is really doesn't have any sort qualified definition; let me just reset my original statement by dropping Tyutin from the conversation and say that over a 3-5 window the Rangers did a very good job of developing a solid if not flashy core of defensemen. I am even more optimistic about this group when you add Miller, Fox, Lunqvist, D' Angelo, Keane, & Robertson to the group BBBE referenced above.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie

Tyutin
    Staal
    Girardi
    Del Zotto
    Sauer
    McDonough
    Stralman

Thomas Pock
    Bobby Sanguetti
    Matt Gilroy
    Dylan McIlrath

You forgot Baranka, Erixon, Potter, Kondratyev, Rachunek, & Heikkenen! Defense depth set for the next 10 seasons!
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    You forgot Baranka, Erixon, Potter, Kondratyev, Rachunek, & Heikkenen!
    Corey Potter actually had a career as a journeyman depth defenseman; but yeah what you said.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Didn't his father Harold play for the Dumpoldorfs in the OHL?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'll never understand the clamoring that people do over Fast. The exaggeration of what roles he can do just blows my mind. He's a bottom 6 winger who can kill penalties. He does not perform if given an expanded role. He doesn't make a difference when slotted up. He had a small run of 5-10 games or so where he did well about a year or so ago, when given a scoring role but that was it.

Let him go. His roster spot can be filled by someone with either more talent, or with more grit. He's not any kind of problem, but he's definitely not a part of a solution going forward.

I'd even try to unload him now, to get more space for DeAngelo and Lemieux extensions.
    Last edited by The Dude; 08-18-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    You forgot Baranka, Erixon, Potter, Kondratyev, Rachunek, & Heikkenen! Defense depth set for the next 10 seasons!
    I'm still waiting for Kloucek to come back. I had such high hopes for that kid.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    Brassard just got 1 yr. and 1.2 mil.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Kloucek was the man, too bad he never recovered fully from that knee Injury

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/02/s...ng-streak.html

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    same with Sauer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123