Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NJD Acquire Nikita Gusev from VGK for 2021 2nd-Round Pick, 2020 3rd-Round Pick

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I thought you said they could've finished 14th. they had to have 66 points to finish 14th. they had 97. NJ was not as bad as you are making them out to bed

they collapsed because Hall was injured most of the season. The year before they were good enough to make the playoffs. Shittsburg had 100 points to NJ's 97.
    You're missing the point. They were bad enough to finish 14th too. Finishing 8th in the East doesn't make you good. It means you're slightly less shitty than the really shitty teams you finished ahead of. There's a difference between that and being actually a good team.

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    You're missing the point. They were bad enough to finish 14th too. Finishing 8th in the East doesn't make you good. It means you're slightly less shitty than the really shitty teams you finished ahead of. There's a difference between that and being actually a good team.
    the really shitty teams finished with 62, 67, 71, 73 points respectively. Slightly less shitty were the Rangers with 77 points. Again, NJ had 97. Cup champions had 8 more points than NJ. they were good enough because Hall carried them

the really shitty teams finished with 62, 67, 71, 73 points respectively. Slightly less shitty were the Rangers with 77 points. Again, NJ had 97. Cup champions had 8 more points than NJ. they were good enough because Hall carried them
    Christ, the point is not where they finished in the standings or how other teams were shittier.

The point is that, regardless of where they finished, they were bad. You can be in the playoffs and be a bad team.

Banned Junior Division
    Jesus, I guess I just don't understand how a bad team can get 97 points in a season and make the playoffs.
    ..and have a Hart winner to boot

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Jesus, I guess I just don't understand how a bad team can get 97 points in a season and make the playoffs.
    Simple. They weren't bad.

Saying they're bad and not having to quantify it is just a means to an end.

Because when a team is 15th in goals for, 17th in goals against, 21st in SAT%, and has one player score on 38% of the team's goals (with a career-high SH%, btw), they are bad. Especially when a third of the league was sellers by Christmas.

They're bad in the same way that Edmonton is bad. McDavid can get them to the playoffs by himself, but they still suck.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I guess at some point we decided that teams were either good or bad and forgot words like average or mediocre.

Laughable.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    It's splitting hairs to argue that there's a discernible difference between "bad" and "mediocre." The end result is the same: nonsuccess.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I guess at some point we decided that teams were either good or bad and forgot words like average or mediocre.

Laughable.
    The Devils were bad. The Blue Jackets, Leafs, Pens, and Caps were mediocre.

Banned Junior Division
    Im sure every coach would love to be 97 points bad

Im sure every coach would love to be 97 points bad
    In the sense that they'll probably keep their job, sure. But good coaches judge play, not results.

Standings aren't a measure of whether or not a team is good.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    It's splitting hairs to argue that there's a discernible difference between "bad" and "mediocre." The end result is the same: nonsuccess.
    Firstly, that's ridiculous to say the difference between bad and mediocre is splitting hairs. You're making a black and white argument about something that's not black and white.

Secondly, to say that they were bad enough to finish with 66 points but somehow had 97 is made up bullshit.

Thirdly, when you're bad and make the moves the Devils made, you can get to mediocre. When you're mediocre and you make those additions, you can get to good... Which is the point here.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    In the sense that they'll probably keep their job, sure. But good coaches judge play, not results.

Standings aren't a measure of whether or not a team is good.
    @Phil, this is the definition of splitting hairs.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Firstly, that's ridiculous to say the difference between bad and mediocre is splitting hairs. You're making a black and white argument about something that's not black and white.

Secondly, to say that they were bad enough to finish with 66 points but somehow had 97 is made up bullshit.

Thirdly, when you're bad and make the moves the Devils made, you can get to mediocre. When you're mediocre and you make those additions, you can get to good... Which is the point here.
    Agreed, might take a while, but the devils might just be good by the end of the season.
    They’ve added some key additions, who can do more than just PP.
    Hall has proven he’s one of the NHL’s elite, and they just added a franchise rookie in Hughes.

Their future looks solid. And seems to parallel the Rangers, but with less dead cap space, bad contracts, and top end slightly better offensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend

I'm talking about it from a terminology perspective, not the specific point totals you're referencing here.

A "bad" team and a "mediocre" team are awfully close in my book. Buffalo, Minnesota, Detroit, Vancouver — these types. I don't disagree with the logic that you can move from one to the next, and then from that to "good," and from "good" to "great." That's all progress.

Last year's Devils team were bad or mediocre — I don't think it matters which you call them. This year's team made progress, for sure. They're maybe good?
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I'm talking about it from a terminology perspective, not the specific point totals you're referencing here.

A "bad" team and a "mediocre" team are awfully close in my book. Buffalo, Minnesota, Detroit, Vancouver — these types. I don't disagree with the logic that you can move from one to the next, and then from that to "good," and from "good" to "great." That's all progress.

Last year's Devils team were bad or mediocre — I don't think it matters which you call them. This year's team made progress, for sure. They're maybe good?
    Last year's Ottawa team was bad.

Finishing with 97 points and having someone try to say they could have also easy swung down by 30 points to miss the playoffs is in no way, shape or form a bad team.

Like, I can buy the argument that in another division, they miss the playoffs. I don't buy that they were "bad". Weak division but you still have to win your games. Bad teams lose those games.

Last year's Ottawa team was bad.

Finishing with 97 points and having someone try to say they could have also easy swung down by 30 points to miss the playoffs is in no way, shape or form a bad team.

Like, I can buy the argument that in another division, they miss the playoffs. I don't buy that they were "bad". Weak division but you still have to win your games. Bad teams lose those games.
    Last year's Ottawa team was bad. Two years ago, Philly and NJD made the playoffs and were bad. Last year, the Isles were bad in the same way.

You don't want to get into degrees of bad because you think it is splitting hairs, fine. I just don't think that making the playoffs makes you not bad.

Banned Junior Division
    I guess its a matter of opinion but i in no way can buy that a team that makes playoffs can be considered bad. No matter how the word ‘bad’ is twisted. Maybe be ‘average’, or not good enough to win it all? But they were definitely good enough to make playoffs.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Last year's Ottawa team was bad. Two years ago, Philly and NJD made the playoffs and were bad. Last year, the Isles were bad in the same way.

You don't want to get into degrees of bad because you think it is splitting hairs, fine. I just don't think that making the playoffs makes you not bad.
    Half the league makes the playoffs so by definition, the worst playoff team is still "average" or "mediocre"... As in... Falling in the middle. So... Not bad.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I hope the Rangers are a bad team that gets 97 points this year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast