• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kane on Hughes: He does a lot of things better than me

BrooksBurner

https://www.nhl.com/news/jack-hughes-gets-assist-from-family-ahead-of-2019-nhl-draft/c-307453174

"I feel like when smaller players come into the League and they have that offensive-type game, it seems to be easy to compare them to a guy like me," said Kane, who is 5-foot-10, 170 pounds, but was 5-9, 160 at the 2007 NHL Scouting Combine. "But I think he does a lot of things better than me, to be honest with you.

"He's always moving, always skating, and even if he's not near the puck or the action, he's still got his speed and he's coming into the zone or coming into the action with a lot of movement and speed."

When was the last time anyone felt this fortunate to have the #2? Probably Tampa Bay when they took Hedman after Tavares went #1. Either way, they were getting a stud.

Yup. I do think if the Rangers had the #1 pick, the tune around here and other Rangers fan message boards would be different though with regards to Hughes vs Kakko. To me, Hughes is and has been the best prospect for this draft class for 2-3 years. A few games in a tournament doesn't change that. Nothing against Kakko, but Hughes is the superior prospect and is elite in the types of things that make a player elite in today's NHL. That's not to say Kakko isn't a very high end prospect in his own right and has a chance to be better than Hughes, but it does feel like there's some sugar coating going on just because we are almost definitely getting Kakko instead.

• 3 years later...
On 5/19/2019 at 11:58 AM, BrooksBurner said:

Yup. I do think if the Rangers had the #1 pick, the tune around here and other Rangers fan message boards would be different though with regards to Hughes vs Kakko. To me, Hughes is and has been the best prospect for this draft class for 2-3 years. A few games in a tournament doesn't change that. Nothing against Kakko, but Hughes is the superior prospect and is elite in the types of things that make a player elite in today's NHL. That's not to say Kakko isn't a very high end prospect in his own right and has a chance to be better than Hughes, but it does feel like there's some sugar coating going on just because we are almost definitely getting Kakko instead.

Bump.

Just had to watch the tape back then with an objective eye 🤷‍♂️

• Bullseye 1

I live up the block from a casual devil's fan, today at the bus stop he was shocked to learn that Lafreniere and Kakko were out #1 and #2, because he's so used to seeing Hughes and Hischier and he thought that's what top picks wound up being. 

Edited by Pete

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

I live up the block from a casual devil's fan, today at the bus stop he was shocked to learn that Lafreniere and Kakko were out #1 and #2, because he's so used to seeing Hughes and Hischier and he thought that's what top picks wound up being. 

Actually impressive to watch hockey and not know that Lafreniere was a #1 pick lol.

Just imagine if we got the #1 and #2 pick in opposite years. We could've had Hughes and Stutzle...

• Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

48 minutes ago, Pete said:

spacer.png

• Bullseye 1

3 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Actually impressive to watch hockey and not know that Lafreniere was a #1 pick lol.

Just imagine if we got the #1 and #2 pick in opposite years. We could've had Hughes and Stutzle...

Pardon  me while I excuse myself to have a good cry.

• LMFAO 2

The scariest part about missing on consecutive second- and first-overall picks like this is the price the org will pay down the line for it. This team is fine right now because its top-end players make up for the lack of anything from Laugh and Kakko, but when those veterans wane (as all do), this team is gonna be in a world of hurt.

My fear is that the Rangers effectively go the same route as the Sharks — from powerhouse to poorhouse in very short order unless something pretty drastic happens between now and then.

40 minutes ago, Phil said:

The scariest part about missing on consecutive second- and first-overall picks like this is the price the org will pay down the line for it. This team is fine right now because its top-end players make up for the lack of anything from Laugh and Kakko, but when those veterans wane (as all do), this team is gonna be in a world of hurt.

My fear is that the Rangers effectively go the same route as the Sharks — from powerhouse to poorhouse in very short order unless something pretty drastic happens between now and then.

They're paying for it now. The big guns are silent, where is the secondary scoring? Missing the net by 3 feet from 2 feet in front of the net?

1 minute ago, Pete said:

They're paying for it now. The big guns are silent, where is the secondary scoring? Missing the net by 3 feet from 2 feet in front of the net?

Oh, 100%, but I mean really pay for it. There's not going to be any "changing of the guard" here. If anything, with how badly they whiffed on four top-ten picks during this rebuild window, they're going to have to rebuild again.

It wouldn't shock me in the least if they basically go from early playoffs exit to total tear down three or four years from now.

22 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Who are you kidding? The Rangers would have been one of the few rumored teams that apparently liked Kakko over Hughes, and then would have needed a center so Byfield over Stutzle.