• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Merkley is on Numerous Do Not Draft Lists

Phil

On the latest episode of the 31 Thoughts podcast, Friedge and Marek interviewed Sam Cosentino, who noted that while Merkley is supremely talented, he's been told he's on multiple do not draft lists and said the only way he sees him going in round one is if a team like the Rangers, with multiple picks, takes him at the very end (28).

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/5/20/17367124/ryan-merkley-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-high-risk-high-reward-defenseman-guelph

Where is Ryan Merkley Ranked?

Merkley’s production and skillset garnered a lot of attention. As did his other issues. As a result, his rankings have been all over the place.

NHL Central Scouting Services: North America - 45 (Final), North America - 21 (Midterm)

Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst - 46 (April, Sporting News), 34 (January Top 500), 9 (September Preseason 500)

Future Considerations - 24 (Final)

McKeen’s Hockey - 24 (April, Top 31 only)

Hockey Prospect - N/A (March, Top 31 only)

International Scouting Services - N/A (May, Top 31 only)

Craig Button - 26 (March)

Depending who is still on the board, I'd certainly entertain the idea of drafting him with our 3rd pick of the draft.

:palm:

Yeah, only the Rangers are dumb enough. Cosentino said this? Phil, they talked about this at the combine. I mentioned it on the other thread.

Forget the off ice and locker room stuff. This guys has not performed like a top 20-25 player on ice. We'll be able to select two guys ranked that high on our board. Our draft team won't blow a 1st just cause we have extra picks.

Forget the off ice and locker room stuff. This guys has not performed like a top 20-25 player on ice.

I don’t think that’s entirely true. He is extremely inconsistent, but when he’s on it he plays like a future star. Over 1 ppg for an average team.

Pronman has him going to the Leafs at 25. I think that’s about right. He might go even earlier imo.

Gentlemans bet he doesn't go in the first.

Yeah he's an offensive dynamo at times, he's got great moves with the puck and is a slick skater. Once he teams loses the puck he's terrible. Worse, he often gives a weak effort if he gets caught deep. He quits. For anyone that's bad. For a small fast Dman it is unacceptable.

Overall, he is truly a project on D and character project as well.

Late. Yeah. I see Day/Duclair here.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Merkley is more talented than either, though. His “offensive defenseman “ skill set is still 2nd, maybe 3rd best in this draft?

And we aren’t talking about taking him 9th overall. I said with our 3rd pick, which will be early-mid 2nd, if he’s still there,you have to take him.

Gentlemans bet he doesn't go in the first.

Yeah he's an offensive dynamo at times, he's got great moves with the puck and is a slick skater. Once he teams loses the puck he's terrible. Worse, he often gives a weak effort if he gets caught deep. He quits. For anyone that's bad. For a small fast Dman it is unacceptable.

Overall, he is truly a project on D and character project as well.

Based on that alone I wouldn't want him. Seen enough of that chyte to last half a lifetime. it comes back to bite a team in the butt.

Archived