Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: AMC's 'Preacher'

  1. #1
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    41

    AMC's 'Preacher'

    Best comic EVER is about to be ruined by this tool on AMC.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316546/

    Son of a bitch. This should have been an HBO series, or on Netflix. Its dumbed down and changed already. Fuck you Hollywood.

  2. #2
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,194
    Rep Power
    366
    He's a writer, not acting in it, so it's premature to suggest he'll ruin it. If he were the lead, I'd agree with you out of the gate, because he's the worst actor in Hollywood.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #3
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    He's a writer, not acting in it, so it's premature to suggest he'll ruin it. If he were the lead, I'd agree with you out of the gate, because he's the worst actor in Hollywood.
    I dont mind his acting, but to trust the guy who made Green Hornet into a pile of shit, is just wrong. Have you seen the casting? Tulip is no longer a skinny blonde white girl.

    VYLA Quincannon??? No "pluck the worm smear the cheese"?

    Judging by whats listed as the cast, they have already rearranged the story and made their own characters.

    Im already disappointed.

  4. #4
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,666
    Rep Power
    55
    who?
    what?
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  5. #5
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    who?
    what?
    If you haven't read Preacher, you haven't lived.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    41
    Mehhhhhh. I'm already somewhat pleased. They're doing a pretty shitty job of character development, but I thought it was ok.

  7. #7
    Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Johnnydollaz18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    15,595
    Rep Power
    41
    DVR'ed it, gonna check it out sometime this week. Never read the comic, though.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydollaz18 View Post
    DVR'ed it, gonna check it out sometime this week. Never read the comic, though.
    I highly recommend reading the comic. One of the best ever.

  9. #9
    Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Johnnydollaz18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    15,595
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I highly recommend reading the comic. One of the best ever.
    There is so much to catch up on though, and that will cost a lot of money. lol Wife already told me I have too many comics.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydollaz18 View Post
    There is so much to catch up on though, and that will cost a lot of money. lol Wife already told me I have too many comics.
    You would breeze through it in two weeks. It's that good. It's probably available on Kindle for pretty cheap.

    You can't have too many comics, if you dont have Preacher. LOL.

  11. #11
    Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Johnnydollaz18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    15,595
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    You would breeze through it in two weeks. It's that good. It's probably available on Kindle for pretty cheap.

    You can't have too many comics, if you dont have Preacher. LOL.
    Don't have a Kindle. lol And trust me, I have plenty. lol

  12. #12
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,194
    Rep Power
    366
    I'm loving this series. Super underrated.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  13. #13
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I'm loving this series. Super underrated.
    As a huge fan boy. I agree. Shits all over the place and different, but yeah. I'm digging it.

    Going head to head with Game of Thrones wasn't all that good of an idea. Probably why it's underrated.

  14. #14
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,194
    Rep Power
    366
    Really well acted and cast. Beautifully shot, too. They do such a great job of color theory.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  15. #15
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    41
    It's really nowhere near the source material. For some reason I don't mind it. I'd rather they go by the book and get it over with, because it seems like they are trying to add more to an already long well told story.

    It's got its moments though where it seems like something Ennis would have put in the story. Yes others where he wouldn't.

  16. #16
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,194
    Rep Power
    366
    Rarely are the comics ever held true to television. For good reason. Most of it doesn't translate well, especially in dollars. Take Watchmen for example. Think about what it might have cost them to stay true to the source material and end the film with a giant alien squid destroying Manhattan instead of the bomb. Now, beyond the cost, tell me that the bomb wasn't simply an easier, smarter solution. In the comics, the giant alien squid is fine. On telelvision/film it'd come across as exceedingly stupid.

    I never read the full Preacher line. Just Gone to Texas, but it was so long ago I don't even remember it. This is essentially brand new to me. But what they're doing is working.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #17
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    41
    If people wouldn't get the end of the comic, why is the comic so popular and why bother making the movie to begin with? I disagree with that thinking and have had the same discussion with friends to no avail. I feel watchmen stayed very close to the comic and the end should have been the original ending. I don't think cost of a dead giant octopus would have put weight a nuke by all that much.

    Preacher has a close "feel" the the original material except for the entire story. Nothing. Nothing at all is by the book. It is funny. It is crazy. It's shot well. It's not Preacher.

  18. #18
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,194
    Rep Power
    366

    AMC's 'Preacher'

    You're crossing streams. I said that the comic ending would have been exceptionally more expensive and with a lesser payoff because it would be more difficult to relate to from the perspective of an average viewer (who we need to presume has not read the novel). The bomb was a simpler, safer, more easily understandable conclusion.

    Or try this -- talk to anyone who watched Watchmen that didn't read the novel. Tell them the original ending and ask which they'd prefer if all things are equal. Same movie. Two endings. Which is better?

    As to Preacher, like I said, I can't speak to what they are or aren't changing, but what they're doing is great television. Compelling storylines, relatable characters, clear character progression/regression, etc.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #19
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    You're crossing streams. I said that the comic ending would have been exceptionally more expensive and with a lesser payoff because it would be more difficult to relate to from the perspective of an average viewer (who we need to presume has not read the novel). The bomb was a simpler, safer, more easily understandable conclusion.

    Or try this -- talk to anyone who watched Watchmen that didn't read the novel. Tell them the original ending and ask which they'd prefer if all things are equal. Same movie. Two endings. Which is better?

    As to Preacher, like I said, I can't speak to what they are or aren't changing, but what they're doing is great television. Compelling storylines, relatable characters, clear character progression/regression, etc.
    I'm saying the ending wouldn't have been more expensive.. I'm not crossing streams. I'm disagreeing with your comment which has not one single truth to it.

    As for the pay off..... The source material is what got the movie made to begin with. Why bother making it if you're going to change it? Rip it off then. Don't call it Watchmen. Call it something else. Change the characters too.

    I liked the Watchmen movie. Ending and all. Because it had the feel of the comic. It looked great. Some scenes back grounds and all were lifted straight from the book. I'm pretty sure for the special edition DVD, they may have had the alternate ending. I'll have to check that .

    As for your take on Preacher, then great. Call it Garth Ennis's Texas church show. Because it isn't Preacher.
      Spoiler: {option} 
    Tulip isn't black, nor did she live with Jesse as a child, Jesse didn't pray for his dad's death, Arsface didn't shoot a girl in the head, sheriff Root isn't nice, Quincannon doesn't win Jesse's land in a bet, Genesis didn't live in a coffee can, you don't find out that Cassidy is/was a drug addict and runs away with Tulip until close to the end of the books...there's just so much they have already changed from the book that it's not even the same story at all. Entertaining yes. Preacher? No
    Last edited by The Dude; 07-12-2016 at 07:47 AM.

  20. #20
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,194
    Rep Power
    366

    AMC's 'Preacher'

    Short answer -- because not every filmmaker or director or producer shares the same vision you do of holding truer than true to source contents. Some -- most, really -- enjoy the source enough to want to bring their adaptation of it to life. They add and subtract as they see fit. Sometimes they butcher it, sometimes not. But I can't think of anyone who has produced non-original content and not changed something.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •