• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Showtime's 'The Affair'

Phil

I'm not sure why we don't have a thread on this already, I thought we did, but man, this show just got good. I was really on the fence early and my wife had to convince me to follow through, but I'm glad she did.

Anyone else watching this?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right? I had almost the same feeling about this early on that I did about The Leftovers, where I was so bored because they were being so intentionally vague about what was actually happening (aside from the affair itself) that I wanted to quit. My wife was like "let's just see it through" and I'm glad we did. That finale was great. I love the dichotomy thing they do every few episodes too, showing the different takes from the different sides (Alison/Noah). I read an interview with the director a few weeks ago too that pointed out something really cool — the wife (Noah's wife) is the link between the two stories, obviously, and one of the little things he wanted to focus on was how she appeared in each story. Every time it's Noah's POV, she's kind of a boring, somewhat disheveled housewife. Whenever it's Alison's POV, she's much more put together, much more appealing.

Right? I had almost the same feeling about this early on that I did about The Leftovers, where I was so bored because they were being so intentionally vague about what was actually happening (aside from the affair itself) that I wanted to quit. My wife was like "let's just see it through" and I'm glad we did. That finale was great. I love the dichotomy thing they do every few episodes too, showing the different takes from the different sides (Alison/Noah). I read an interview with the director a few weeks ago too that pointed out something really cool ? the wife (Noah's wife) is the link between the two stories, obviously, and one of the little things he wanted to focus on was how she appeared in each story. Every time it's Noah's POV, she's kind of a boring, somewhat disheveled housewife. Whenever it's Alison's POV, she's much more put together, much more appealing.

Watch the Extra stuff on Showtime on Demand. They explain everything. They do this for all the characters and costumes. Amazing stuff.

The Creator of this also did HBOs In Treatment which was fantastic in its first season.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump this, but I have a question. I decided to watch this series on ShowtimeAnytime, but I didn't realize that they put the season up in reverse order. I just clicked the first screen capture and watched it. It seemed confusing, but like a show that was going to give big plot points and then you discover them through flash backs or something. I honestly thought maybe they were going to show the same sequence from each character's perspective over the course of the entire season. Only after watching it did I realize I watched the Finale first.

DOH!

Any reason to go through and watch from the beginning now or should I just pick it up when Season 2 comes out?

Sorry to bump this, but I have a question. I decided to watch this series on ShowtimeAnytime, but I didn't realize that they put the season up in reverse order. I just clicked the first screen capture and watched it. It seemed confusing, but like a show that was going to give big plot points and then you discover them through flash backs or something. I honestly thought maybe they were going to show the same sequence from each character's perspective over the course of the entire season. Only after watching it did I realize I watched the Finale first.

DOH!

Any reason to go through and watch from the beginning now or should I just pick it up when Season 2 comes out?

Yes, watch it. I can't forsee if you'll love it or hate it, but it's a unique way to tell a story. Watch the bonus materials, too.

• 2 weeks later...
I think if I didn't watch the finale first, I might not have stuck with this as it does start very slowly. It was an excellent ride through the three relationships as the season heated up though. Alison being sort of unveiled as things moved along was done really well, as are the two perspectives. I'm guessing the nuanced differences between the two stories are going to be what gets Noah tripped up. You at least get the sense that Alison is more cunning than he is. I was confused, watching the finale first it seemed like based on the tow truck driver scenes, I thought all along it was the Darren (the Diner owner) who was killed, not the brother. Not sure why he was paying off the tow truck driver, unless I completely missed something.

• 5 months later...
New season is off to a great start and pace. Excellent story-telling going on again. Amazing how quickly they made Cole such a grounded character. He went from holding a gun to the head of Noah's daughter to being the guy you feel the worst for in like three episodes between two seasons.

New season is off to a great start and pace. Excellent story-telling going on again. Amazing how quickly they made Cole such a grounded character. He went from holding a gun to the head of Noah's daughter to being the guy you feel the worst for in like three episodes between two seasons.

Think so?

I hate it. They are overdoing what used to be subtle differences in how people remember events.

Yeah, I've been really entertained with how they've flipped the script on so many of the characters this year, and you're getting that same really unsure-how-to-feel feeling when you see the his-part, her-part splits on the same sequences. The divorce attorney, for example, from Noah's perspective versus Helen's.

• 1 month later...

That entire ending sequence to last Sunday’s episode was one of the best television sequences I’ve seen all year. Just wonderfully choreographed with the life/death symbolism between Allison’s giving birth and Cole seemingly committing suicide in their home.

This show is wonderful.

last week's episode was epic. love how he got in the hot tub only to find out it was his daughter in there.

last nite's was pretty good as well, though i hope they don't cliff hang us again as far as the trial goes. i would like to see that wrapped up.

the finale of the left overs was awesome last night.

I'd imagine the verdict itself is going to be the cliffhanger this year. I have no real theories as to what it'll mean, but I do think now that Scotty's "that's our baby" line was his way of saying the kid is a Lockhart. Not that the kid is actually his. Specifically from when Allison and Cole last slept together before they sold the house.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, one of the best finales I've seen in a while. Really, this whole season was such a thrill ride.

One of the few shows where season 2 has thoroughly outdone season 1. There are quite a few moments of suspended disbelief, but I can't wait for season 3.

Same. I love that they've found a really nice thread to sew between the end of season one, all of season two and probably all of season three.

I also think and underrated positive to this year is that they added Cole and Helen as POV characters. It made Noah and Allison no longer the only central part of the show, even though they are still the two most important characters.

• 10 months later...