• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Look Out, Bay Ridge ? The Hipsters Are Coming!

Phil

http://gothamist.com/2013/01/10/hipster_bar_specter_scares_bejesus.php

Back in September, Bay Ridge had a slight freakout when it was announced that a bar targeting hipsters was coming to the hood. And the freaking out has not ceased! In fact, the Brooklyn Paper reports, some neighbors are trying to stop the madness before it even begins. Because Bay Ridge, a place where on New Year's Eve a man ran over four people outside a nightclub in "self-defense" is a quiet neighborhood, y'know?

"This idea of bringing a young crowd from Williamsburg and Park Slope, it’s unacceptable," declared literal NIMBY Elizabeth Pabian, whose backyard borders the Fifth Avenue space between 92nd and 93rd streets where the new bar, the Lock Yard, is set to open. "My whole life will change."

Fearing the bar, which will boast an outdoor space when it opens in the old Bridgeview Locksmith space this summer, Pabian has gone and collected 29 signatures from neighbors. That list includes one under-30 woman, Amanda Tigio, who is not looking forward to the bar despite being in the "hipster" demographic. "I bet 20-somethings would be an even more of a late night crowd, so that perpetuates my fears about the sound," she told the Paper. "I can hear when a buzzing alarm goes off next door. I can only imagine what this is going to be like."

And it isn't just fears that, in the hyperbolic words of Paper writer Will Bredderman, an influx of "trendy newcomers will shatter their block’s tranquility faster than the screen of an iPhone 5 stashed in the same pocket as a mustache comb." Folks are also worried that hipsters will hurt the neighborhood's (not necessarily on the up) property values. "What’s going to happen to the value of that house, if there’s a beer garden in back of it full of drunk people?" wondered one nearby property owner.

So, your counterpoint to a hipster revolution raising property values in Bay Ridge is that since it hasn't happened yet and there's been a drop in price/sqft, it won't happen - in spite of using the same evidence to show that where the hipsters move, property values have skyrocketed.

C'mon man. That's no dice.

The values of the properties aren't skyrocketing because hipsters move there, dude. That's ridiculous.

And there's something different about the population of Bay Ridge that isn't shared by Bed Stuy, Bushwick, Williamsburgh, Fort Greene, etc. I'll let you figure out what it is.

The values of the properties aren't skyrocketing because hipsters move there, dude. That's ridiculous.

Isn't this EXACTLY what happened to every single freaking neighborhood below? They became "swanky" neighborhoods, people wanted to live there. Demand > Supply.

And there's something different about the population of Bay Ridge that isn't shared by Bed Stuy, Bushwick, Williamsburgh, Fort Greene, etc. I'll let you figure out what it is.

Populations change. They always do.

Isn't this EXACTLY what happened to every single freaking neighborhood below? They became "swanky" neighborhoods, people wanted to live there. Demand > Supply.

Populations change. They always do.

Incorrect. I think you're going to have a hard time winning this debate seeing as I actually grew up and live(d) in the area. Property values rise when white folks move in. White folks are already the majority in Bay Ridge, by a wide margin. You aren't talking about a shit neighborhood that's "up and coming". Bay Ridge is already pretty affluent, there are million dollar homes (not multi family rentals) there. Bed Stuy, Bushwick, Williamsburgh, Fort Greene could NEVER boast that. It's a totally different area.

Basically, these kids in skinny jeans are about to get their asses handed to them by Jersey Shore rejects who are going to send them scurrying back north.

Before it was cool.

Archived