• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How would this situation be called? (ZebraDude Specialty)

Mike

This happened in a youth game this weekend. Apparently there was massive confusion and arguing. I don't even know what the final decision was but it's an interesting situation:

Team "A" player skating down the boards is tripped by Team "B" player.....refs hand goes up signaling the delayed penalty.

Another player from team "A" picks up the loose puck and maintains possession into the corner. The ref who made the original call still has his hand elevated and the delayed penalty continues while Team "A" maintains possession.

The same player from Team "B" who committed the trip now pursues the team "A" and hooks him. The other ref now raises his arm on the second penalty against the same player.

The player who was hooked loses the puck, since however, team "B" has not yet touched the puck, so play still continues despite the two penalties.

The same player from team "B" who committed both the trip and the hook is now in pursuit of the puck and interferes with a Team "A" before finally touching the puck.

The whistle blows and it is the intention of the refs to impose three minor penalties on the same player during the same play......a trip...a hook...and an interference call.

Question, how does it go up on the clock, and how is the manpower on the ice affected?

I'll take a stab at a guess...it's a 6:00 powerplay, but the first 4 minutes are a 5 on 3, another player has to serve the first 4 minutes, the penalized player serves the full 6 and comes back out after the 6 for 5 on 5. If a goal is scored in the first 2:00, it becomes a 4:00 PP, the first 2 minutes 5 on 3, with another player still serving the first 2:00. The penalized player's 2:00 begins when the first PP ends, as a 5 on 4.

Make sense?

I would think it would be a 5 on 3 for 2 min followed by a 5 on 4 for 2 min.

I agree with you until someone mentioned that there's a rule that the same player can't serve 2 penalties at once so they should run concurrently. I don't know if that's true but it certainly is possible.

Why in the hell are Ref's calling 3 minors on one player that young (two being delayed).

That's the SEIROUS question being asked.

These are kids who barely know how to play the game, one penalty should have been PLENTY

When I said "youth game", I didn't mean kids our kid's age. I believe it was either in a 16 or 18U game. But yeah, I get your point. Also, as you know, if a team could keep possession that long to draw 3 penalties, they must know what they're doing to an extent. But that's just for the higher level teams ;)

• 2 weeks later...

New situation:

There is a sog, the goaltender makes the save and covers the puck. The whistle blows. A player whacks at the goalie well after the whistle. A teammate of the goalie pushes the player that was whacking away. They both get matching penalties. Where's the face off?

It would just be the circle nearest to the shot (the usual face off spot when neither penalty were to take place). Since the matching penalties cancel each other out, in essence they have no effect on where the puck is dropped.

Archived