PDA

View Full Version : First Round Reactions

Fatfrancesa
06-22-2018, 08:39 PM
Fuck glen sather.

Mr.wiskers
06-22-2018, 08:43 PM
Wow! Wow!

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

RJWantsTheCup
06-22-2018, 08:45 PM
WTF

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

Chuck_IV
06-22-2018, 08:47 PM
I cannot believe I actually thought things would be different...

I have no idea why they couldn't have worked a deal with Arizona(who's pick would have probably still been there at 9 anyway) to swap picks and grab Zadina

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9+ using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

torontonyr
06-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Last year it took this board about 2 hours before they turned around. How long tonight? Poll?

Pete
06-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Trash at #9. Gold at 26.

So Nashty
06-22-2018, 08:50 PM
jesus relax lol

Fatfrancesa
06-22-2018, 08:58 PM
And I still hate the pick of Lias Andersson.

Dunny
06-22-2018, 09:04 PM
They should have taken the guy whose name we recognized. Everybody knows that's the key to drafting.

josh
06-22-2018, 09:04 PM
Love the pick!

NYR2711
06-22-2018, 09:07 PM
The guy had 3 goals and 4 assists in 35 games. WTF, I guess the rebuild is over.

NYRangers723
06-22-2018, 09:09 PM
They should have taken the guy whose name we recognized. Everybody knows that's the key to drafting.

Haha Exactly. Love how some act like they know more than scouts. The kid a pure goal scorer and has a high ceiling which is what i thought our fans wanted. But because he is a euro and they havent seen him play they already say it was a bad pick lol

Blue Heaven
06-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Couldn't the Rangers have traded down a few slots to pick up Kravtsov?

Dunny
06-22-2018, 09:14 PM
Maybe, maybe not.

It wasn't exactly going to script.

josh
06-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Couldn't the Rangers have traded down a few slots to pick up Kravtsov?

Probably not. Same situation as Montreal. There is no sense risking your guy to move back 4 picks.

NYRangers723
06-22-2018, 09:20 PM
Probably not. Same situation as Montreal. There is no sense risking your guy to move back 4 picks.

Exactly. People acting like he is a monster reach....he was rising fast. Wouldnt be surprised if isles had him on their list

ThirtyONE
06-22-2018, 09:21 PM

Can’t rep anymore aparently.

Progrocker
06-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Dobson there at #9 and they take Kravtsov???? WTF!!!

NYRangers723
06-22-2018, 09:27 PM
He was rookie of the year in his league and a beast in the playoffs. He could very well have a higher upside than oliver

RJWantsTheCup
06-22-2018, 09:28 PM
#24 ranked prospect at 9. Glad to see the Rangers haven’t changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

NYRangers723
06-22-2018, 09:34 PM
#24 ranked prospect at 9. Glad to see the Rangers haven’t changed.

he was also ranked as high as 6 on other list. Similar to chytil he was rising fast. Of course people who bashed the chytil pick now love it. Im sure people will be eating a shitload of crow again

RJWantsTheCup
06-22-2018, 11:03 PM
I like the last first round pick better than the first two.

NYRangers723
06-22-2018, 11:27 PM

then you havent watched much hockey lol

josh
06-22-2018, 11:30 PM

Hopefully, they all end up being great picks

RJWantsTheCup
06-22-2018, 11:38 PM
Always hope all the Rangers picks end up being great. They just scare me with their track record on picks

josh
06-23-2018, 12:12 AM
They haven’t had any top end guys, yeah, that’s a concern. But I don’t think we can complain too much about Staal, Kreider, Miller, Skjei

Pete
06-23-2018, 08:16 AM
"Trust the scouts, they know better than anyone!" Except when they don't and draft McIlrath and Lias way too early.

Worle Ranger
06-23-2018, 08:41 AM
"Trust the scouts, they know better than anyone!" Except when they don't and draft McIlrath and Lias way too early.

A bit early to make that assessment on Lias, no?

Obvs spot on with McIlrath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flynn
06-23-2018, 08:43 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/1JyWrrkCIUQyQ/giphy.gif

Gravesy
06-23-2018, 08:52 AM
Internet experts: it's a shit pick
Actual experts: it's a good pick

Hmmm.

Dunny
06-23-2018, 08:58 AM
I loved when they announced his name, it sucked the air out of the broadcast on SN, the talking heads that have never actually had FO jobs panned it immediately, and Burke instantly said it was a good pick.

I was thoroughly entertained. Giddy actually.

I would have been fine with Wahlstrom, I just didn't want a Dman at that spot.

NYRangers723
06-23-2018, 09:00 AM
A bit early to make that assessment on Lias, no?

Obvs spot on with McIlrath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i dont understand the hate on lias. I mean he has already reached the nhl and didnt look out of place considering he drafted only like 10 months before.

The Dude
06-23-2018, 09:01 AM
They haven’t had any top end guys, yeah, that’s a concern. But I don’t think we can complain too much about Staal, Kreider, Miller, Skjei

Sure we can. None have reached what people thought their potential should have been. Not 1 of them are first liners. Not one of them are game breakers. This team can't draft elite talent. It hasn't since Brian Leetch.

The Dude
06-23-2018, 09:05 AM
i dont understand the hate on lias. I mean he has already reached the nhl and didnt look out of place considering he drafted only like 10 months before.

He DID look out of place. He DIDN'T make it to the NHL. The team was tanking and decided that they wanted to see how their best prospect looked compared to the shit sandwich they put on the ice prior.

His skating was in question, as well as his strength, and maybe his offensive ability, when he was called up.. He hasn't made it yet, and doesn't seem to pan out as a 1st line player. Something I expect from a #7 overall pick, with other high ceiling players left on the board.

lefty9
06-23-2018, 09:19 AM
the rangers needed a forward at #9,so it was either whalstrom or Kravtsov,we all know who they got
either choice would of been ok with me

lefty9
06-23-2018, 09:26 AM
He DID look out of place. He DIDN'T make it to the NHL. The team was tanking and decided that they wanted to see how their best prospect looked compared to the shit sandwich they put on the ice prior.

His skating was in question, as well as his strength, and maybe his offensive ability, when he was called up.. He hasn't made it yet, and doesn't seem to pan out as a 1st line player. Something I expect from a #7 overall pick, with other high ceiling players left on the board.

the kid still 19 years old

NYRangers723
06-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Exactly. But apparently that doesnt matter because THE DUDE knows everything lol

The Dude
06-23-2018, 09:57 AM

And? He hyped him up and said he's in the NHL and didn't look out of place. Just correcting an inaccuracy.

The Dude
06-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Exactly. But apparently that doesnt matter because THE DUDE knows everything lol

Well, as long as you know that now.......

NYRangers723
06-23-2018, 10:09 AM
Well, as long as you know that now.......

well actually judging your past piss poor ptedictions im even more pumped for Lias :)

The Dude
06-23-2018, 10:44 AM
well actually judging your past piss poor ptedictions im even more pumped for Lias :)

? Meaning what? What past piss poor predictions sir? Contribute something. Anything.

Puck Head
06-23-2018, 11:31 AM
Pretty happy overall.
Three excellent prospects for a org needing it.

rangers02
06-23-2018, 12:55 PM
Great picks for a team that is still in rebuilding. Kravtsov can skate, just not as good as Hughes (Drew a Penalty). K'andre Miller and Lundkvist to build up what was a terrible and injury-riddled defense

Giacomin
06-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Great picks for a team that is still in rebuilding. Kravtsov can skate, just not as good as Hughes (Drew a Penalty). K'andre Miller and Lundkvist to build up what was a terrible and injury-riddled defense

I took an over critical look at Dmen after Ty Smith, for our 26 and 28 picks. There were really only 4 (maybe 5) players that stood out as good bets to be top 4 Dmen who could skate. And Bode Wilde had other issues.

I think we got the best lefty and righty. Though I dig Sandin too. These later firsts are key and we scored.

RodrigueGabriel
06-23-2018, 01:25 PM
If you need to feel a little better about Kravtsov, go back and listen to the HockeyProspect.com podcast. They had him rated #6 overall (though nobody else was close to that). The superlatives come fast and furiously. Put it on repeat until the pain goes away.

Sent from my [device_name] using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Pete
06-23-2018, 06:34 PM
Internet experts: it's a shit pick
Actual experts: it's a good pick

Hmmm.Expect the actual experts are also questioning the pick.

But then we says they're shitty experts because they don't like the pick.

So really the only real experts are the ones that agree with the internet experts.

Respecttheblue
06-23-2018, 07:32 PM
Solid enough to me.
Glad we drafted a scoring forward ... because NYR (which shed some point-productive players during the last year, Nash, Stepan, Grabner, Miller however frustrating each might have been ) has been having trouble finishing in what is now an even more offense-oriented league that is was, at least in the regular season.
While I was hoping for Wahlstrom, I'm still excited by Kravstov.
Where I am a bit dumbfounded is the next slew of picks featured only 1 forward and 58 defensemen.
OK so we were shyte in that department, but we recently added, Rykov, Lindgren, Pionk, Hajek, and we get Shattenkirk back from injury, so I thought we'd add more forwards.
It is what it is.

So Nashty
06-23-2018, 08:53 PM
It’s cool, it’s looking more and more like we are poised to draft Hughes next draft. That is before we take the 46th ranked guy with our first over all pick (sorry I had to).

Gravesy
06-24-2018, 04:08 AM
Expect the actual experts are also questioning the pick.

But then we says they're shitty experts because they don't like the pick.

So really the only real experts are the ones that agree with the internet experts.

Link to an expert calling it a reach, a poor or questionable pick or going off the board please? Not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen them.

Pete
06-24-2018, 07:14 AM
Link to an expert calling it a reach, a poor or questionable pick or going off the board please? Not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen them.Did you watch the draft?

Gravesy
06-25-2018, 09:55 AM
Yes.

Pete
06-25-2018, 08:53 PM
So then you have your answer LOL.

AmericanJesus
06-25-2018, 09:06 PM
McKenzie had Kravtsov at 12 and the only forward between he and Wahlstrom was Barrett Hayton, taken 5th overall by Arizona.

So for one of the most respected men in hockey, Wahlstrom and Kravtsov were right next to each other as far as forwards and only 3 picks apart. This wasn't a reach like taking someone ranked 18th overall in the 7th spot. It wasn't even the reach that Arizona made for Hayton because they wanted a center.

This was simply a matter of preference between two very similar in value prospects.

josh
06-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Can we simulate a season or 2?

Pete
06-25-2018, 10:03 PM
McKenzie had Kravtsov at 12 and the only forward between he and Wahlstrom was Barrett Hayton, taken 5th overall by Arizona.

So for one of the most respected men in hockey, Wahlstrom and Kravtsov were right next to each other as far as forwards and only 3 picks apart. This wasn't a reach like taking someone ranked 18th overall in the 7th spot. It wasn't even the reach that Arizona made for Hayton because they wanted a center.

This was simply a matter of preference between two very similar in value prospects.Sure.

Unless we look at Wahlstrom who was highly rated all year vs a guy who flew up the ranks because of a hot playoff.

AmericanJesus
06-25-2018, 11:09 PM
Sure.

Unless we look at Wahlstrom who was highly rated all year vs a guy who flew up the ranks because of a hot playoff.Whalstrom dominated his peers as an 18 year old. Kravtsov flew up the rank because of success against the better teams of grown men in the KHL playoffs. He had already had success against players his own age when he was 17. I suspect if he stayed in the lower ranks in Russia he'd have been similarly as dominate.

Sent from my [device_name] using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
06-26-2018, 03:38 AM
I think the FO thought Wahlstrom would be off the boards when we were to make the pick, so they scouted the next best available winger (Kravstov) and fell in love with him.

Gravesy
06-26-2018, 07:11 AM
So then you have your answer LOL.

McKenzie didn't describe the pick as shit, poor or a reach as far as I could hear.

Vodka Drunkenski
06-26-2018, 08:41 AM
I’ll hold judgement on this pick for a couple of years.

So Nashty
06-26-2018, 09:24 AM
McKenzie didn't describe the pick as shit, poor or a reach as far as I could hear.

I believe the exact words after he was drafted were something like “this pick isn’t entirely off the boards”...

I think they were surprised we didn’t go Wahlstrom but then they had nothing but good things to say about Krav.

Pete
06-26-2018, 09:31 AM
McKenzie didn't describe the pick as shit, poor or a reach as far as I could hear.Let's just call a spade a spade. There was no one here or on TV who saw us passing on Wahlstrom in that spot. Nobody.

Was this a reach of McIlrath proportions? No. But similar logic was used there..."Well Edmonton was going to take him, too..." That's an awful rationale.

End of day, I don't mind the pick really. I like the player. But I also feel we passed on a player who CAN be a Jamie Benn for one who MIGHT be Kuznetsov.

What I take issue with is the Monday morning quarterbacking by everyone here acting like we got the better player.

If he was the better player then why was he not on anyone's board for us?

Future
06-26-2018, 11:46 AM
The guy had 3 goals and 4 assists in 35 games. WTF, I guess the rebuild is over.
Kuznetsov had 2 and 7 the year he was drafted. Kravtsov was 11 in 16 in the playoffs - that's when his stock skyrocketed.

rmc51
06-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Question for those that think we missed out on Wahlstrom: Why did 8 teams (not including Buff/Car) pass on Wahlstrom? Other teams besides the Rangers passed on Wahlstrom and arguably "reached more" than the Rangers. Montreal @ 3 with Kotkaniemi and Arizona @ 5 with Hayton. What did these teams see (or not see) in Wahlstrom?

AmericanJesus
06-26-2018, 01:48 PM
Question for those that think we missed out on Wahlstrom: Why did 8 teams (not including Buff/Car) pass on Wahlstrom? Other teams besides the Rangers passed on Wahlstrom and arguably "reached more" than the Rangers. Montreal @ 3 with Kotkaniemi and Arizona @ 5 with Hayton. What did these teams see (or not see) in Wahlstrom?

First, I think you can call Kravtsov a reach in that he was the second best forward available taken when he was. The question is how much is the gap between he and Whalstrom? I don't think it's very big at all, so I don't mind the pick.

To your questions, those two franchises wanted centers, so they took the two best available at the time they drafted. It was drafting for need rather than skill.

AmericanJesus
06-26-2018, 01:57 PM
For the discussion, here's what was said when the Rangers selected Kravtsov.

NBCSN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd018i3fF7E&feature=youtu.be&t=1h19m00s (https://youtu.be/Jd018i3fF7E?t=1h19m00s)

"It's not an off the board pick, persey, but when you take a Russian in the top 10 and the player isn't likely to arrive in the NHL for another year or two, a lot of fans don't identify very much with that player..."

Gravesy
06-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Let's just call a spade a spade. There was no one here or on TV who saw us passing on Wahlstrom in that spot. Nobody.

Was this a reach of McIlrath proportions? No. But similar logic was used there..."Well Edmonton was going to take him, too..." That's an awful rationale.

End of day, I don't mind the pick really. I like the player. But I also feel we passed on a player who CAN be a Jamie Benn for one who MIGHT be Kuznetsov.

What I take issue with is the Monday morning quarterbacking by everyone here acting like we got the better player.

If he was the better player then why was he not on anyone's board for us?

I think that’s a perfectly fair way of looking at it.
It’s also quite far from the reactions I was responding to initially. To be clear, I’ve not once said I think we got the better player. I don’t know that, and I don’t think anybody does. At the time, like everybody else, I was shocked when we left both Wahlstrom and Dobson on the board.
But after reading up a bit, I feel pretty confident this was not a “desperate reach”, not “same old Rangers trying to be clever”, certainly no reason to wish cancer on Gorton and his team. It was unexpected, but all of the writers I trust think it was a really good pick. And I’ve certainly not seen anyone murdering it or coming even close to how it was described on here.

Future
06-26-2018, 02:26 PM
First, I think you can call Kravtsov a reach in that he was the second best forward available taken when he was. The question is how much is the gap between he and Whalstrom? I don't think it's very big at all, so I don't mind the pick.

To your questions, those two franchises wanted centers, so they took the two best available at the time they drafted. It was drafting for need rather than skill.
Well the Rangers had him graded as the #2 forward overall, so, presumably, he was the top player on their board when they picked. It's not a reach, in that sense.

Pete
06-26-2018, 03:19 PM
I think that’s a perfectly fair way of looking at it.
It’s also quite far from the reactions I was responding to initially. To be clear, I’ve not once said I think we got the better player. I don’t know that, and I don’t think anybody does. At the time, like everybody else, I was shocked when we left both Wahlstrom and Dobson on the board.
But after reading up a bit, I feel pretty confident this was not a “desperate reach”, not “same old Rangers trying to be clever”, certainly no reason to wish cancer on Gorton and his team. It was unexpected, but all of the writers I trust think it was a really good pick. And I’ve certainly not seen anyone murdering it or coming even close to how it was described on here.All fair points.

Fatfrancesa
06-26-2018, 03:39 PM
I haven’t seen a post yet trashing the player. Hopefully Clarke and the rangers are right. History matters though. In the past we’ve had players (guys who were consensus top 10 guys for the past 6 months) fall into our laps only to draft a more unknown quantity. While the rangers might have had Kravtsov as the second best forward at the time of the pick, they didn’t draft jessiman or mcilrath with them not being the highest rated forward or defenseman available then either. Point is these guys are usually wrong. The crazy reactions to the pick is not about Kravtsov. It’s about three guys falling to the rangers, two in particular, that was a wet dream only a week ago. The Habs and coyotes go off the board opening the door for the rangers to get a possible top 5 guy. I’m sitting there thinking thank god they can’t fuck this up. And then they do what they’ve done every time. Maybe Kravtsov proves them right this time. If he doesn’t then what? This scouting group has already survived two enormous busts, jessiman being an all time one.

josh
06-26-2018, 03:47 PM
McIlrath and Jessiman were both drafted to fill specific roles. Hence why a lot of fans stressed drafting "best player available"

Gravesy
06-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Well, we’re currently posting in a thread you originally called «awful» with an opening post of “fuck Glen Sather” so I’m sure you’ll excuse me for thinking that wasn’t a ringing endorsement of the pick, player and the guys responsible for it.

Fatfrancesa
06-26-2018, 05:59 PM
Well, we’re currently posting in a thread you originally called «awful» with an opening post of “fuck Glen Sather” so I’m sure you’ll excuse me for thinking that wasn’t a ringing endorsement of the pick, player and the guys responsible for it.

It’s not. Nothing against the player but Clarke, sather, and now Gorton continue to try to outsmart the league. While nobody here brought the player up pre draft at even being a possibility at our spot, especially with who was on the board, I don’t choose to close my eyes to possibility that once again these guys fucked up. So far there isn’t a time when going off the board to take their guy has worked. I’m not going to hold any of that against the player it has nothing to do with him. He’s a nice prospect and I hope he delivers. Sad thing is they can be wrong because lifetime contracts kind of stipulate that results don’t matter. If they did Clarke would not be here after mcilrath.

And josh drafting either of those players for whatever reason doesn’t matter. They never played a meaningful stretch in the nhl. They were top picks and the players drafted after them make it AWFUL.

josh
06-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Kravtsov was discussed on here. Anywhere from 9 to late teens, and some optimistically wanted him at 26.

Yes, why they draft someone at the time does matter. Based on the draft this season, and the number of defensemaen they drafted, it seems like they were targeting the best all-around forward in the first. Previous management would have said “we need goal scoring”, and drafted a guy based solely on that. So we escaped that, thankfully, unlike drafts 10 seasons ago.

Pete
06-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Kravtsov was discussed on here. Anywhere from 9 to late teens, and some optimistically wanted him at 26.

Yes, why they draft someone at the time does matter. Based on the draft this season, and the number of defensemaen they drafted, it seems like they were targeting the best all-around forward in the first. Previous management would have said “we need goal scoring”, and drafted a guy based solely on that. So we escaped that, thankfully, unlike drafts 10 seasons ago.

Sorry but there is not one person here who had Krav on their board over Wahlstrom. Anyone who had him at 9 had Walhstrom going to Chicago at 8.

That said, previous management said we needed a punishing defenseman for Torts, so they drafted a 5 year project. This time they drafted a 2 year project rather than someone likely to play right away, which I guess...helps?

Vodka Drunkenski
06-26-2018, 07:58 PM
Dunny was calling for Him since April

Pete
06-26-2018, 08:03 PM
At #9?

josh
06-26-2018, 08:06 PM
In general

Dunny
To be fair, I wanted him a little later, using the other picks to move up to 12-15 spot.

But, even since then his stock continued to rise, so I don't blame them for taking him @ 9. Fuck, I was stoked.

There's really not much else to say, it's time to produce.

Vodka Drunkenski
At #9?

Yes, he said it a couple of times. I believe Josh did too

josh
06-26-2018, 08:09 PM
To be fair, I wanted him a little later, using the other picks to move up to 12-15 spot.

But, even since then his stock continued to rise, so I don't blame them for taking him @ 9. Fuck, I was stoked.

There's really not much else to say, it's time to produce.

stfu, we trying 2 prove Peter wrong

Dunny
06-26-2018, 08:09 PM
I said it that night.

Fatfrancesa
06-26-2018, 08:33 PM
I can’t fibd where anyone said anything about him at 9. Went back and read all the posts leading up to the rangers pick in the draft day discussion thread. Nothing. Dunny did say we were left with shit after Zadina was picked and then was happy with a fuck yeah after we drafted Kravtsov. Other than that everyone here was having a panic attack about chicago grabbing wahlstrom. Some discussion about Dobson before. Go back and read it. Nothing about Kravtsov. You would think if anyone wanted him at 9 somebody would have at least brought him up once. Not there.

Fatfrancesa
06-26-2018, 08:36 PM
Can anyone direct me to the posts in other threads where Kravtsov was discussed at 9. Even the thread I will go back and find it. I’m on here pretty regularly and I don’t remember it. I brought him up weeks ago as liking him with their late first rounders.

Fatfrancesa
06-26-2018, 08:41 PM
I found dunny mention he would take him on 9 in the prediction thread. Josh listed him as a possibility but an off the board one while also saying he’d prefer a defenseman

josh
06-26-2018, 08:43 PM
You’re probably reading the wrong thread.

Pete
06-26-2018, 08:47 PM

There's really not much else to say, it's time to produce.That all I'm saying...I like the player but no one was taking him over Wahlstrom.

josh
06-26-2018, 08:51 PM
That all I'm saying...I like the player but no one was taking him over Wahlstrom.

I honestly, didn’t think it was an option. But I did cheer twice during the draft, when Zadina wasn’t taken 4th, and when the Rangers took Kravtsov

Dunny
06-26-2018, 09:13 PM
I honestly, didn’t think it was an option. But I did cheer twice during the draft, when Zadina wasn’t taken 4th, and when the Rangers took Kravtsov

My evening exactly.

josh
06-26-2018, 09:28 PM
My evening exactly.

My wife was saying "seriously? Its a draft."

Shes been sleeping on the couch. #PCversion

Fatfrancesa
06-26-2018, 10:53 PM
Just asking. If Zadina was on the board we should assume they still take Kravtsov right? He was their 2nd rated forward. Would you question them then?

rmc51
06-26-2018, 11:51 PM
Just asking. If Zadina was on the board we should assume they still take Kravtsov right? He was their 2nd rated forward. Would you question them then?

That's assuming Zadina wasn't their #1 rated forward instead of Svechnikov. Who knows with the Rangers am I right?

Really though, I don't have a problem that they had Kravtsov as their #2 forward and wanted him. I'm more than happy we have him. Obviously most of us fans can only go on YouTube and look at clips. I think this kid oozes talent, and I come away a little more impressed with him than Wahlstrom from the little bit of tape I've seen. My problem with the pick is that they simply didn't maximize the value. Wahlstrom was worth more, though not necessarily better. I feel like they could have taken Wahlstrom at #9 then either A) worked out a trade to move up from 26/28 to get high enough to take Kravtsov or B) field calls from teams picking after them for Wahlstrom and still get Kravtsov + extra. I get it thought. It's a risk. Maybe some other teams were as high on Kravtsov and the Rangers would have walked away with egg on their face not having the guy they really wanted. They decided to just take the guy they wanted instead of messing around.

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
06-27-2018, 02:48 AM
Have I missed something or has they said he was their #2 rated forward? Could they really have Kravtsov before Zadina?

Pete
06-27-2018, 05:26 AM
Have I missed something or has they said he was their #2 rated forward? Could they really have Kravtsov before Zadina?Yes

Giacomin
06-27-2018, 09:07 AM
That's assuming Zadina wasn't their #1 rated forward instead of Svechnikov. Who knows with the Rangers am I right?

Really though, I don't have a problem that they had Kravtsov as their #2 forward and wanted him. I'm more than happy we have him. Obviously most of us fans can only go on YouTube and look at clips. I think this kid oozes talent, and I come away a little more impressed with him than Wahlstrom from the little bit of tape I've seen. My problem with the pick is that they simply didn't maximize the value. Wahlstrom was worth more, though not necessarily better. I feel like they could have taken Wahlstrom at #9 then either A) worked out a trade to move up from 26/28 to get high enough to take Kravtsov or B) field calls from teams picking after them for Wahlstrom and still get Kravtsov + extra. I get it thought. It's a risk. Maybe some other teams were as high on Kravtsov and the Rangers would have walked away with egg on their face not having the guy they really wanted. They decided to just take the guy they wanted instead of messing around.

No, it was definitely Svech at 1 and the Rangers inquired about the pick. It really wasn't available, according to McK and others.

So, that means they had Krav ahead of Zadina, Tkachuk and Wahl. I'm surprised they put that out there because now we will compare Krav to all 3 of them. In a few years we will know everything we need to about our scouting.

Fatty I brought to the top a few threads where Krav was discussed favorably. I also mentioned him in a combine report...
"Kratsov - 6'3 and also climbing the rankings, good interviews"

AmericanJesus
06-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Well the Rangers had him graded as the #2 forward overall, so, presumably, he was the top player on their board when they picked. It's not a reach, in that sense.

Well, the reach would be if you disagree with their assessment. If you just accept a team's evaluation at face value, then there are no reaches ever.

Future
06-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Well, the reach would be if you disagree with their assessment. If you just accept a team's evaluation at face value, then there are no reaches ever.
I don't think teams draft to their board 100% of the time so, yes, there's still plenty of reaches.

Kevin
06-27-2018, 08:13 PM
Have I missed something or has they said he was their #2 rated forward? Could they really have Kravtsov before Zadina?

If this is really accurate, thank god Detroit took Zadina. I would have lost my shit if we passed on him.

Fatfrancesa
06-27-2018, 11:07 PM
Clarke said today the rangers would have passed on Zadina to take Kravtsov

So Nashty
06-29-2018, 05:02 PM
some insight or whatever you want to call this into the draft

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1012787794601578496/video/1

Gravesy
06-30-2018, 03:44 AM
If this is really accurate, thank god Detroit took Zadina. I would have lost my shit if we passed on him.

Can you imagine the fucking scenes if Rangers had actually passed on Zadina :rofl: