• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#75) Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins — Trouba Is Risen

Rangers are suffering from too much depth and talent right now.  Trouba needs ice team to get ready for the playoffs but he may actually still be injured.  That said, Rempe is the only piece of the puzzle the Rangers need right that brings the physical dirt the Rangers will need to win.  Just having him on the bench is enough to keep opponents from bumping and poking Igor or running at Fox.  I'm old school on the physical part of the game.  The skill players need someone to help give them room and Rempe is the only player on the team with that presence even if he just rides the bench.  As for the penalties Rempe takes - let's face it, the refs are inconsistent at best and the value of his presense far exceeds the cost.  Igor should not ever have to cross check anyone to get them out of his way like he did Crosby without a Ranger coming to his defense even if it means dropping the gloves with Crosby.  Opponents do these things to the Rangers because they know the Rangers won't do anything material about it.  You can't win in the playoffs like this... 

• Keeps it 100 1

The Trouba problem could be somewhat similar to the Kane debacle...

The Rangers simply would've been better off without Kane last season/playoffs...but GM and/or coach just did not have the guts to go against the grain of his 'status'

• TroCheckmark 2

16 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

The Trouba problem could be somewhat similar to the Kane debacle...

The Rangers simply would've been better off without Kane last season/playoffs...but GM and/or coach just did not have the guts to go against the grain of his 'status'

Being the captain, you can't exactly bench the guy. But I DO think you can limit his ice time, based on what we've seen so far and even the coaches own comments. Drop him to the 3rd pairing with limited TOI, to let him "shake off the rust".

Give him a couple of games to get his wheels back on the tracks. ‘Trouba Train’ is real! When the guy plays physically, that snark energizes us. I’m not too worried about him. Would I like ‘bettter?’ Of course. You can’t really write-off what he brings in leadership. 

• Like 1

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

It's one thing to be rusty, but the decision he made that led to the 3rd goal was an atrocious hockey play.  Has nothing to do with rust.  

What the fuck was he thinking?  ...we needed 4 guys at their blue line??  Decision making rusty too I guess!  LOL

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Give him a couple of games to get his wheels back on the tracks. ‘Trouba Train’ is real! When the guy plays physically, that snark energizes us. I’m not too worried about him. Would I like ‘bettter?’ Of course. You can’t really write-off what he brings in leadership. 

I actually think there's plenty of leadership on the team. They've got six A's for Christ sakes. 

You simply can't trot out a guy who sucks and puts your team behind because of "leadership".

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

I actually think there's plenty of leadership on the team. They've got six A's for Christ sakes. 

You simply can't trot out a guy who sucks and puts your team behind because of "leadership".

Fair today.

5 years ago though… that’s when they needed the leadership.

When they had Tony D, we’re breaking in Fox and Lindgren, and had guys like Miller and Lundqvist on the horizon, and the vet defensemen they had were gonna be moving on before too long. 

He was exactly what they needed when they signed him. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Fair today.

5 years ago though… that’s when they needed the leadership.

When they had Tony D, we’re breaking in Fox and Lindgren, and had guys like Miller and Lundqvist on the horizon, and the vet defensemen they had were gonna be moving on before too long. 

He was exactly what they needed when they signed him. 

This is kind of debatable, but it's not really something I'm interested in debating because here we are today and he's arguably the weakest defenseman on the team in his role. 

Were he playing a lesser role, that wouldn't be the case. But as a top four defenseman he is sorely lacking.