• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Maple Leafs Place Ilya Samsonov on Waivers

I have my doubts about an 8 year contract for Sheshy lasting until he is 38, but I look at what so many other teams are going through in terms of goalies and I don't want that, either.

11 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I have my doubts about an 8 year contract for Sheshy lasting until he is 38, but I look at what so many other teams are going through in terms of goalies and I don't want that, either.

Some of it may depend on how well Garand develops. I still think Igor gets his extension. It's going to be a Henrik situation where you're probably going to regret the last two or three years of the deal, but you worry about that then. Goaltending around the league has been rough this year. Good goaltending is at an absolute premium and we are fortunate to be in the situation we are in. We have two, actually.

47 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Some of it may depend on how well Garand develops. I still think Igor gets his extension. It's going to be a Henrik situation where you're probably going to regret the last two or three years of the deal, but you worry about that then. Goaltending around the league has been rough this year. Good goaltending is at an absolute premium and we are fortunate to be in the situation we are in. We have two, actually.

The Lundqvist extension was a prime example of why you don't pay goalies that much.

They had built a team that couldn't score and was completely reliant on blocking shots and outstanding goaltending. But those teams were not successful because they couldn't get goals at key times. The year his extension kicked in, Zuccarello led the team with 59 points. That's simply not a recipe for success.

You don't have to spend a lot of money at the goalie position to get good goaltending. Once you start paying too much money for goaltending, you can't address other positions that are more critical. 

A goalie can't score goals. That's the name of the game. 

• Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Lundqvist extension was a prime example of why you don't pay goalies that much.

They had built a team that couldn't score and was completely reliant on blocking shots and outstanding goaltending. But those teams were not successful because they couldn't get goals at key times. The year his extension kicked in, Zuccarello led the team with 59 points. That's simply not a recipe for success.

You don't have to spend a lot of money at the goalie position to get good goaltending. Once you start paying too much money for goaltending, you can't address other positions that are more critical. 

Yeah, with the exception of Gaborik and Nash for one year, most of those Lundqvist era teams had no offense. Well, they had Jagr for a couple of years, but when they were truly contending, they didn't have much. The 2014 and 2015 teams I think Zuc also led the team in scoring with 56 points or something. lol At least now they have both a good offense and top notch goaltending.

I don't know. I still have a feeling they're going to do the same thing with Shesterkin even though you don't need to spend premium on goaltending as you said. I kind of hope they don't, and it may or may not depend on how Garand develops. I don't know what goalies will be available in free agency at the end of next year to really gauge where they could go. 

On 1/2/2024 at 10:24 AM, Pete said:

thats 100% correct and i was all against that monstrous contract.  But thinking back, what could they have done? not sign him and let him go in free agency?  a franchise goalie? HOFer?

tough decision.

2 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

thats 100% correct and i was all against that monstrous contract.  But thinking back, what could they have done? not sign him and let him go in free agency?  a franchise goalie? HOFer?

tough decision.

That's basically what they said... "What were we supposed to do?"

But sports are all about tough decisions.