• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Christmas Ranger Fun …Top Memorable Games for Me Since Mid 70s

RangersLEETCH

Here are some of the top New York Rangers Hockey games for me 

just m opinion …please add if you like 

1. game 6 1994 messiers guarantee

2. game 7 1994 rangers ot matteau matteau

3.  Lundqvist stonewalls carries the Rangers past Pittsburgh in game 7 to win and advance to the East finals 2014

4. Beezer—Vanbiesbrouck stops Flyers game 5 1986 1st round … We out lasted the Icelanders finally getting hi were eliminated by the caps that round! 
5. 1979 beating the Icelanders to advance to the cup finals. 
6. Breadman OT winner game 7 vs Pittsburgh 2022 1st round …wow! 
7. Game 4 1994 sweep the Icelanders 

8. Esa Tikkanen OT blast shot that beat Panthers..that slap shot would have taken any goaltenders head off! Crazy shot! 
Ok please add .. agree disagree have fun! 
Ranger Ed 

5 hours ago, siddious said:

The only memory I want is to see some ranger hoist the cup in my life time. I can’t even imagine the happiness that comes with that. Good god that’s the only thing I want 

Dude. Same.

I was alive for 1994. Way too young for any solid memories. Heard a bunch from my uncle, who was the one that initially turned me into a psychotic fan of this team. He and a few of his cousins all got season tickets in 1978 so my first memories of Ranger hockey were him coming by everyday, watching games with him and my grandpa and going to games up in his old section, 405, right next to the TV booth.

I didn’t start getting wild with the Rangers until 1997. I remember everything about that season and playoff run. So that, and hearing all about 94, I kind of just assumed it was only a matter of time before I saw another one and was able to enjoy it.

Wrong.

I can’t imagine what the feeling will be like to finally see this team finally push that rock up that hill. I can’t imagine. All of the amazing moments over the years, from the 2012 moments to 2014 and that wild run and the whole 2015 season, all the amazing finishes and OT goals. I saw how insane and wild we got for those. But to win it all? Shit man, I cannot wait. It would be mayhem.

Hopefully soon…..

5 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Dude. Same.

I was alive for 1994. Way too young for any solid memories. Heard a bunch from my uncle, who was the one that initially turned me into a psychotic fan of this team. He and a few of his cousins all got season tickets in 1978 so my first memories of Ranger hockey were him coming by everyday, watching games with him and my grandpa and going to games up in his old section, 405, right next to the TV booth.

I didn’t start getting wild with the Rangers until 1997. I remember everything about that season and playoff run. So that, and hearing all about 94, I kind of just assumed it was only a matter of time before I saw another one and was able to enjoy it.

Wrong.

I can’t imagine what the feeling will be like to finally see this team finally push that rock up that hill. I can’t imagine. All of the amazing moments over the years, from the 2012 moments to 2014 and that wild run and the whole 2015 season, all the amazing finishes and OT goals. I saw how insane and wild we got for those. But to win it all? Shit man, I cannot wait. It would be mayhem.

Hopefully soon…..

They did everything but win the Cup, but those 2011-2015 were some god damn great times as a fan. So many memorable things, not even just in the postseason either.

I'll throw in an unusual one.  In early 1977 a Canadiens team more mighty than anything the NHL has seen in recent times had not lost a game at home in over a year.  The Rangers, a non-playoff team in an era when almost everyone made it, wearing embarrising Johnny Ferguson sweaters, walked into the Forum and started in goal one Hardy Astrom, essentially never heard of since, and put a licking on the Habs.  Genuinely astounding.

1974 pivitol Game 5 at forum where MacGregor tied it with 16 seconds left and Ron Harris won it in OT.

Going back a little earlier than the mid-70s, you have to throw in the highly unusual 9 goal outburst game against Detroit that put the Rangers in the playoffs in 1970.

Another out of the box one: New Years 1988 or 1989 when the Rangers beat the Islanders in OT at MSG, and the "festive" Rangers crowd just about tore the place down.  The Rangers, who had always played a New Years Eve game at the Garden for over 50 years, have never played one since.  Perfect capsulization of the way it "usta be" at the Garden.

• Applause 1

40 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

I'll throw in an unusual one.  In early 1977 a Canadiens team more mighty than anything the NHL has seen in recent times had not lost a game at home in over a year.  The Rangers, a non-playoff team in an era when almost everyone made it, wearing embarrising Johnny Ferguson sweaters, walked into the Forum and started in goal one Hardy Astrom, essentially never heard of since, and put a licking on the Habs.  Genuinely astounding.

1974 pivitol Game 5 at forum where MacGregor tied it with 16 seconds left and Ron Harris won it in OT.

Going back a little earlier than the mid-70s, you have to throw in the highly unusual 9 goal outburst game against Detroit that put the Rangers in the playoffs in 1970.

Another out of the box one: New Years 1988 or 1989 when the Rangers beat the Islanders in OT at MSG, and the "festive" Rangers crowd just about tore the place down.  The Rangers, who had always played a New Years Eve game at the Garden for over 50 years, have never played one since.  Perfect capsulization of the way it "usta be" at the Garden.

That's probably why. LOL! Great memories, though. The MSG crowd will never be the same as a good chunk of the die hards have been priced out. Sad.

Some memorable games that I have been to. 

NYR and Tie Domi kicking the shit out of the Islanders on Valentine's Day 9-2 back sometime in the early 90s. Domi scored 2 goals, road the stick, bloodied Ken Baumgarter.  

David Shaw 2 handed slash across the chest of Mario Lemieux, wires got crossed and just turned around and swung his stick Chris Simon style.

Martin St. Louis Mother's Day Game

Derek Stepan GWG in OT

Mentioned in another thread, John Tortorella losing his shit and squirting/throwing the water bottle at a Caps fan in Game 5 of the playoffs where the Rangers ended up choking.  

Sean Avery screening Martin Broduer which then instantly became the Avery Rule after that.  Best part about the whole thing was that Avery ended up scoring on that shift.  

Messier, Graves, Leetch, Lundqvist retirements

Last game the NYR played at the Montreal Forum, such a cool experience

Edited by Blue Heaven