• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL on Track for $87.7m Cap for 24/25 Season

Keirik

SEATTLE — The NHL apprised the Board of Governors on Monday that the salary cap is on track to increase to $87.7 million for the 2024-25 season, exactly “as prescribed in the Memorandum of Understanding signed between the NHL and NHL Players’ Association coming out of the pandemic in 2020.

That’s a welcomed five percent increase from the current $83.5 million, a number that has been essentially frozen for these last four seasons while the players have repaid a $1 billion debt to owners as a result of the pandemic.

In fact, $4.2 million is the minimum the salary cap will increase – as called for in the “lag formula” in the MOU. The two sides can negotiate an even higher number for next season – which NHLPA executive director Marty Walsh hinted at in a recent interview on Frankly Speaking.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/nhl-on-track-for-87-7-million-salary-cap-in-2024-25

5 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Can't wait for teams to start overpaying even more for mediocre players

Oddly that hasn't been the case nearly as much as it used to be. The stars get money, but everyone else squeezed. See: Tarasenko, Vlad

3 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

That is happening because we had a flat cap.

I know, but so many teams are squeezed the bump is just going to give a lot of teams breathing room. Smart teams aren't overpaying UFA middle 6ers anymore.

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

if you think about it in terms of Ranger land, we are pretty good. The bump gives us a bit more room to retain rather than overpay. I E. Lindgren and Schneider. Oh and Kakko I guess

or that Shesterkin fella?  😉

18 minutes ago, siddious said:

Hopefully there’s another significant bump the following year but I have no idea what determines that or if anyone can predict it yet. 

The Cap has been flat because the players were paying back escrow lost during COVID. This bump signifies escrow is whole, so next year cap number will be based on hockey related revenue. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Keirik said:

He has one more year left but yeah, they can start negotiiating it after this season

After seeing what some of his "peers" are getting or just got, I'm wondering how we'd pull that one off.  ...fingers crossed!