• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The One That Got Away

17 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

JT Miller. His attitude apparently sucked when he was here but hell, didn't we all suck in our early 20's at times? That's a huge misstep which looking back, haunts us. Paper thin down the middle. Grrrr..... Thanks for making this thread; you can find me punching holes in my walls.

Agreed with this. You could see he had game, all he needed to do was grow up a little bit. Now he's a dominant player. 

Alexei Kovalev and Sergei Zubov.  Alex is a borderline HOFer with over 1000 points in the NHL and Zubov is one outscoring all but 21 defensemen in NHL history. Both were traded at 25 years old lol. Thanks Mess. 

Next thread should be, "the one who stuck around too long." 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

32 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Alexei Kovalev and Sergei Zubov.  Alex is a borderline HOFer with over 1000 points in the NHL and Zubov is one outscoring all but 21 defensemen in NHL history. Both were traded at 25 years old lol. Thanks Mess. 

Mess...lol

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Yeah.

He was a rotten SOB who lived off of 94 for too long

Plus Keenan was a selfish prick

And Neil Smith had no balls when it came to Mess.

He did Nedved ugly too

I see a lot of people have stated the obvious ones, like Miller or Zubov. I’ll go a bit off the board, though he may have been mentioned too.

I understood why it was made because of the cap issues, but I absolutely despised trading Carl Hagelin. I remember having a talk with someone back a few years before we dealt him that he is the type of depth player teams win championships with. He can play up and down, he never shrunk in big moments, his speed was a level above elite. I understood why it needed to be done but I wish it was done with someone else. Lo and behold, he goes on to win a few Cups in rival sweaters. Always loved him.

• Like 4
  • Keeps it 100 1

16 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I know it all worked out - "MATTEAU, MATTEAU, MATTEAU" and all that - but Tony Amonte. 

That shit got me grounded.

I was in the kitchen eating a bowl of cornflakes. The house phone rang, my mother picked it up and goes "your brother would like a word with you". 

He goes "You won't believe it, they've traded Tony!"

"For who?????"

"Brian Noonan and Stephane Matteau"

And with that I yelled "FUCK OFF" and launched the bowl of cornflakes across the room. I was so mad. I couldn't believe it. Tony Amonte trade for two complete water carriers. My mother didn't care about Tony and gave me a couple of days to think things over.

I guess a cup is a cup, but that one hurt and did so for a very long time.

54 minutes ago, Gravesy said:

I was in the kitchen eating a bowl of cornflakes. The house phone rang, my mother picked it up and goes "your brother would like a word with you". 

"For who?????"

And with that I yelled "FUCK OFF" and launched the bowl of cornflakes across the room. I was so mad. I couldn't believe it. Tony Amonte trade for two complete water carriers. My mother didn't care about Tony and gave me a couple of days to think things over.

Playing devils advocate here, what did he ever do besides go on to be a top contributor on some stacked Blackhawks teams that never went past the 2nd round of the playoffs. 

Putting the Matteau Cup run aside for a moment, I am not sure of he is the difference between another Cup if he doesn't get traded. Guess you could make an argument for 1996-97 run, but I ma not sure anyone was getting past the Legion of Doom in their prime and that Wings team that actually won it that year.  

41 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Playing devils advocate here, what did he ever do besides go on to be a top contributor on some stacked Blackhawks teams that never went past the 2nd round of the playoffs. 

Putting the Matteau Cup run aside for a moment, I am not sure of he is the difference between another Cup if he doesn't get traded. Guess you could make an argument for 1996-97 run, but I ma not sure anyone was getting past the Legion of Doom in their prime and that Wings team that actually won it that year.  

I think that because we stayed competitive for a few years after the Cup, but got old real fast and then went into the Dark Ages, there's a lot of the "what if" around whether or not some of those bottom-line trades were the best moves. We traded three guys who would go on to have extremely productive careers for a few guys who would barely crack NHL lineups a few months down the road.

Amonte gets the worse of it since both Noonan and Matteau were clearly nowhere near what Amonte would become, but we also moved Mike Gartner for Glenn Anderson (don't care what anyone says, go back and watch those games. Anderson was AWFUL.), Todd Marchant for Craig MacTavish, among others. 

At the end of the day - flags fly forever and none of us would seriously consider doing anything differently. But it's fun to speculate.

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

Yeah the dark ages was just a culmination of trading away some good, young talent for a Cup and not the best drafting after that. It took a few years to kind of catch up to them, but boy, did it ever. lol The worst stretch in team history, certainly in the modern era. They hadn't been on that bad of a run since the early to mid 60's or so.

21 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I think that because we stayed competitive for a few years after the Cup, but got old real fast and then went into the Dark Ages, there's a lot of the "what if" around whether or not some of those bottom-line trades were the best moves. We traded three guys who would go on to have extremely productive careers for a few guys who would barely crack NHL lineups a few months down the road.

Amonte gets the worse of it since both Noonan and Matteau were clearly nowhere near what Amonte would become, but we also moved Mike Gartner for Glenn Anderson (don't care what anyone says, go back and watch those games. Anderson was AWFUL.), Todd Marchant for Craig MacTavish, among others. 

At the end of the day - flags fly forever and none of us would seriously consider doing anything differently. But it's fun to speculate.

Tikkanen was great here, and really did things and brought an element that they needed…

But trading Weight for him killed them in the long run. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Gravesy said:

"For who?????"

Thats the same exact reaction i had when we traded the original rangers board for this place. But then i came down and had couple of kids. 

21 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Tikkanen was great here, and really did things and brought an element that they needed…

Agree completely; I LOVED Tikkanen as a Ranger both tours here, but trading him for Weight was probably a much bigger detriment than the Amonte trade. Whatever the case, they totally paid for today with tomorrow to get that Cup.

6 minutes ago, CBrowningPI said:

Agree with all aforementioned above. How about a 6'5, 220 lb., young defenseman in Ryan Graves? The kid led the league for awhile in +/- in Colorado. I forgot what we got for him, if anything. I think he's 2nd pair on Pitts.

A second round pick, Chris Begras.

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Tikkanen for Weight is a decent example of a good trade though. Tikkanen had like 55 points for us that season in a mid-six role, Weight was not quite primed yet as to what he would be.

Would I have preferred Doug Weight in the future? Sure. In hindsight, Amonte for Tikkanen would have been better. We could absolutely have passed on Glenn Anderson and just rolled with Larmer/Gartner there, and I'm sure Peter Ferraro would have been a coup for the Blackhawks for Noonan/Matteau at the time.

20 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Tikkanen for Weight is a decent example of a good trade though. Tikkanen had like 55 points for us that season in a mid-six role, Weight was not quite primed yet as to what he would be.

Would I have preferred Doug Weight in the future? Sure. In hindsight, Amonte for Tikkanen would have been better. We could absolutely have passed on Glenn Anderson and just rolled with Larmer/Gartner there, and I'm sure Peter Ferraro would have been a coup for the Blackhawks for Noonan/Matteau at the time.

Does anyone remember the logic of trading a 2 time 30 goal scorer for a 3rd and 4th liner?

I know Messier was the shadow GM and him & Keenan thought some guys were "too soft" for the playoffs, but geez!