• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Joonas Donskoi Retires After Just 7 NHL Seasons Due to Concussions

Phil

26 minutes ago, Keirik said:

……It’s only enforcers.…..

Does he have cte? Did he get hurt during play or something outside the rules?

You don't have to answer. You're misrepresenting my point. Nuff said. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Does he have cte? Did he get hurt during play or something outside the rules?

You don't have to answer. You're misrepresenting my point. Nuff said. 

Of course not. He hasn’t played in a calendar year and retired at 31 because of a hang nail. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

CTE ≠ PCS

He got injured playing the game. Not in doing something outside the rules.

Well, I'm not sure you know his entire health chart. Neither one of us knows if he currently has CTE. We also don't know what level of concussions he's had and whether it's led to CTE now or will in the future. To dismiss it just seems like a weird take. 

And actually, one of his concussions was from an illegal hit that led to a suspension from Brendan Lemieux. As far as I know,  a suspensionable hit is further outside the rules than fighting is at the NHL level. 

26 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Well, I'm not sure you know his entire health chart. Neither one of us knows if he currently has CTE. We also don't know what level of concussions he's had and whether it's led to CTE now or will in the future. To dismiss it just seems like a weird take. 

And actually, one of his concussions was from an illegal hit that led to a suspension from Brendan Lemieux. As far as I know,  a suspensionable hit is further outside the rules than fighting is at the NHL level. 

That's a pretty ridiculous rationale, but I have no interest in keeping this going. I should have ignored your nonsense bait to begin with. 

Edited by Pete

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's a pretty ridiculous rationale, but I have no interest in keeping this going. I should have ignored your nonsense bait to begin with. 

Zero interest? I simply said a take that isn't solely yours and within seconds you jumped iright in. If what I'm saying doesn't apply to you, I don't see why you needed a response. 

I'm simply saying that isn't not just enforcers that have worries of life long sypmtons of post concussion syndromes, cte,.etc.  Not even close. There are dozens and dozens of examples showing the opposite and how predatory hits are just as dangerous in many ways. The game is too fast, too strong, and equipment too rigid. There's no downside of becoming a human missile outside of player safety ehere punishments are arbitrary and a joke. 

On 8/28/2023 at 8:20 PM, Keirik said:

Zero interest? I simply said a take that isn't solely yours and within seconds you jumped iright in. If what I'm saying doesn't apply to you, I don't see why you needed a response. 

I'm simply saying that isn't not just enforcers that have worries of life long sypmtons of post concussion syndromes, cte,.etc.  Not even close. There are dozens and dozens of examples showing the opposite and how predatory hits are just as dangerous in many ways. The game is too fast, too strong, and equipment too rigid. There's no downside of becoming a human missile outside of player safety ehere punishments are arbitrary and a joke. 

Not just as dangerous. Much more dangerous.

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Not just as dangerous. Much more dangerous.

Incorrect.

The percentage of players in the subset of "enforcer" have a much higher rate of long-term damage than an average players. 

Illegal head contact has no place in the game, whether it's somebody's shoulder or somebody's fist. 

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Incorrect.

The percentage of players in the subset of "enforcer" have a much higher rate of long-term damage than an average players. 

Illegal head contact has no place in the game, whether it's somebody's shoulder or somebody's fist. 

Define enforcer. It’s not just fighting. That’s such a small part anymore. A necessary part of the game however, and fairly inconsequential in the grand scheme of “health safety”.

Illegal head contact happens on a fairly frequent basis. Both avoidable and unavoidable, under the guise of attempting something under the rules…shoulder to shoulder contact. Shoulder or elbow comes up high. Happens all of the time.

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Define enforcer. It’s not just fighting. That’s such a small part anymore. A necessary part of the game however, and fairly inconsequential in the grand scheme of “health safety”.

Illegal head contact happens on a fairly frequent basis. Both avoidable and unavoidable, under the guise of attempting something under the rules…shoulder to shoulder contact. Shoulder or elbow comes up high. Happens all of the time.

Do you even have a point? Because I'm not clear on what it is. This all stemmed from me saying it was inevitable that fighting at the NHL level would die out, especially with it being limited from the children's leagues.

What's the pushback on that? That we need fighting? Disagree, hard stop. We have fighting, and as you said, head injuries happen all the time. Why do we need more?