• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Vince Vaughn to Return in Dodgeball Sequel

Phil

On 4/27/2023 at 11:17 PM, Sharpshooter said:

Hollywood really running out of ideas churning out unnecessary sequels and reboots of old material. 

Comedy in particular. When was the last time an actually funny movie came out? 

16 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

With more and more people getting bent out of shape about things, I feel a lot of comedy is dying.

Correct. The reason nothing gets done is because even when a remake gets made, it quickly becomes a vehicle for bad faith political actors to rail against if there's even the perception that their "team" is the target.

Like, Glass Onion was called "polarizing."

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Correct. The reason nothing gets done is because even when a remake gets made, it quickly becomes a vehicle for bad faith political actors to rail against if there's even the perception that their "team" is the target.

It was? lol Geez.

44 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, a lot of it is just looking for even easier ways to make quick money (and a lot of it), so it's just constantly bringing back old properties right now.

If you're going to remake it better with a compelling story, that makes sense... Like Star Trek was a great remake.

If you're going to remake Father of the Bride specifically because we need Latinx representation, that's a shitty remake. 

• Bullseye 1

27 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Thor Ragnarok? 

Not a comedy. "Action comedy" is arguably one of the only major genres left where humor still thrives because it's not sold on its comedy but it's blockbuster graphics.

No one bought a ticket to Ragnarok because they knew the jokes would crush.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not a comedy. "Action comedy" is arguably one of the only major genres left where humor still thrives because it's not sold on its comedy but it's blockbuster graphics.

No one bought a ticket to Ragnarok because they knew the jokes would crush.

Yeah fair. I feel like a lot of movies don't follow the solo-archetype now. I thought Everything Everywhere All At Once was hilarious in addition to being a nice family story with moral lessons and drama added in.

The best comedies have been movies where comedy is a feature, not the main attraction.

6 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

With more and more people getting bent out of shape about things, I feel a lot of comedy is dying.

6 hours ago, Phil said:

I feel like this is basically it. Every stand up I have watched over the last few years the comedians all basically have the same joke about how you cant joke about anything anymore. People have completely forgotten that context matters.

I remember a friend of mine who works in the movie industry saying they basically want every movie to be PG13 these days too because it draws the biggest crowds. 

Im okay with raunchy stuff going straight to streaming.. i havent been to the movies since maybe 2019 anyway.

and yea remakes are a cash cow- unless your disney and have franchises like star wars which you can milk with generic and poorly thought out plots that bring you big money anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 4:00 PM, siddious said:

I feel like this is basically it. Every stand up I have watched over the last few years the comedians all basically have the same joke about how you cant joke about anything anymore. People have completely forgotten that context matters.

I remember a friend of mine who works in the movie industry saying they basically want every movie to be PG13 these days too because it draws the biggest crowds. 

Im okay with raunchy stuff going straight to streaming.. i havent been to the movies since maybe 2019 anyway.

and yea remakes are a cash cow- unless your disney and have franchises like star wars which you can milk with generic and poorly thought out plots that bring you big money anyway.

check out Vengeance by BJ Novak, the guy who was in The Office.  Excellent dark comedy

• Like 1