• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bobby Hull, Dead at 84

Phil

On 1/30/2023 at 12:46 PM, Phil said:

Legendary name, complicated/checkered personal life, though. I feel bad for his family, because any time a family member dies it's sad, but Bobby has said some horrendous stuff about Nazis (Hitler had good ideas type shit), and effectively admitted to being a racist and not caring (because he's "not running for office.")

Hawks are in a tough spot here. They're gonna be torn between wanting to honor the player without championing the person.

Very checkered to be honest.

Ill start by saying that it’s good, despite whatever history is there, that he and Brett had a better relationship than they had at one point. There was, if I recall correctly, a time when he and Brett were not really on the best of terms, to where at one point when asked the question, “What do you and your father have in common?”, Brett replied with, “Our last name.”

They mended some fences and got closer, which I always think is a good thing.

But Bobby Hull was no peach.

Yes. A hockey icon.

Yes. One of the 10-20 best Wingers ever.

Yes. Top 100 all-time players. 

But also… a total womanizer. An adulterer. A wife beater. A bigoted person. And also a real dumb fuck who said some of really stupid shit. And he also liked to booze way too much. 

So yeah.

Great hockey player.

Shitty person.

• Keeps it 100 1