• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lightning Suspend Ian Cole, Accused of Grooming, Sexual Assault; League Investigating

Phil

1 minute ago, Sod16 said:

Anonymous accuser who refuses to cooperate with an investigation.  Maybe everything she claimed was valid, but given the above, nothing can get done about it.

Like a lot of guys, I really didn't think there were a lot of psychos out there, until I found myself dating one.

Exactly. I think @josh was right earlier about the language they used re: "case closed," but principally, this is the correct course of action.

I hope it’s not the NHL investigation that is the end all be all then. If I was the victim of any crime committed by a member of a professional sports league I would not be confident in that league to handle investigating. 

I’ll concede the point though. You’re right. NHL can’t do anymore than this about it. But if there is any legs to this and this starts becoming a criminal investigation or if the accuser goes through alternate channels to continue the accusations, the nhl can’t just twiddle their thumbs on it 

40 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I hope it’s not the NHL investigation that is the end all be all then. If I was the victim of any crime committed by a member of a professional sports league I would not be confident in that league to handle investigating. 

I’ll concede the point though. You’re right. NHL can’t do anymore than this about it. But if there is any legs to this and this starts becoming a criminal investigation or if the accuser goes through alternate channels to continue the accusations, the nhl can’t just twiddle their thumbs on it 

It's not like Gary was out there with a magnifying glass playing Sherlock.

My brother-in-law lives next door to the head of NHL security....NHL security is comprised of lawyers and ex-law enforcement. These are the same people that also have to explore death threats that come Bettman. They know what they're doing. 

3 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I don't think a few days is enough time to look into the validity of these claims. It's a bad look for the team and the league if this becomes something bigger and they continued employing/using a person who groomed and had sex with a minor

editz: I'll add this. If they found proof it was just a hoax and completely made up, fine, put him back in, sucks that it happened.

The NHLs statement is worded in a way though that doesn't show he didn't do it, just that the alleged victim didn't respond to them so they don't have proof it happened. This isn't the legal system, innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply. If the extent of their investigation was to DM the alleged victim on twitter, not get a response (why would this person want to go to the NHL, which has a vested interest in this not being a story, with their statements) and then be done with it, then that's really not a good enough investigation, in my opinion at least 

I think the NHL handled this fine. I don’t even think there is remotely any bad optics here. If they continued suspending him long term based on an anonymous complaint over social media, they open the door for every lunatic to do the same thing just for the hell of it.

want to have a better chance to win a playoff series against the Rangers ? Just post an anonymous complaint on Twitter right before and let it gain steam. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

2 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

If you were the victim then I would hope you would answer their inquiries.  You can lead a horse to water...

3 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I think I wouldn’t trust the nhl to be the ones investigating and would much rather go a different route. Not in the NHLs interest to do anything but make it go away

Then cooperate with whomever you choose to go to.  This person seems to not have gone anywhere but Twitter.  And then didn't cooperate when the effort was put forth.  That's on them, not the NHL.  

• Bullseye 1