• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Next Year's Cap Crunch

Sod16

Right now, we have $1m in cap space.  Next summer we will have the following probable additional cap hits:

LaF: $4 million (925K to 4.925m)

Miller: $4 million (92kK to 4.925m)

Chytil: $2 million (2.3m to 4.3m)

That's $10 million.  So where can we get that?

$1m increase in cap

$3.4m expiration of dead cap hits

$750K (Reaves at 1.75 gone in favor of 1.0m player)

$500K (Blais at 1.5 gone in favor of 1.0m player)

$500K (Halak at 1.5 gone in favor of 1.0m player)

$1m (use up buffer and leave no room to wiggle)

That's $7.15m and assumes no raises for several low payed players not discussed here.  It also assumes that we walk away from Kravtsov.

Where is the other $3m to come from (more if we want Kravtsov)?.  Who is available for a salary dump?  Lindgren?  That's about it.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/rangers

38 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Right now, we have $1m in cap space.  Next summer we will have the following probable additional cap hits:

LaF: $4 million (925K to 4.925m)

Miller: $4 million (92kK to 4.925m)

Chytil: $2 million (2.3m to 4.3m)

Honestly, those guys aren’t close to those numbers. Chytil is a 20pt C that’s not good defensively. Lafreniere is the least productive #1 pick as shown by his inconsistent and unreliable play. Miller played well for 30 games. 

i know their collective play at the end of the season left us with slight chubs, but right now they’re closer to that 2.5 mark based on their play combined with the Kakko deal. 

I started a roster on cp awhile back and it wasn’t bad

$2.83 with this, and these are ceilings, sans MVP-like seasons. 

Kreider  - Zibanejad Lafreniere (5.4x5)

Panarin Trocheck- othmann (.895)

Goodrow - [center] - kakko

Cuylle - Henriksson- Trivigno 

lindgren fox

Miller 3.8x4 - Trouba

Robertson - Schneider

Lundkvist

Shesterkin

Louis

On 8/9/2022 at 6:33 PM, josh said:

I started a roster on cp awhile back and it wasn’t bad

$2.83 with this, and these are ceilings, sans MVP-like seasons. 

Kreider  - Zibanejad Lafreniere (5.4x5)

Panarin Trocheck- othmann (.895)

Goodrow - [center] - kakko

Cuylle - Henriksson- Trivigno 

lindgren fox

Miller 3.8x4 - Trouba

Robertson - Schneider

Lundkvist

Shesterkin

Louis

Yeah, this is probably somewhat close, though I don't know on that Laf deal, both in AAV and length. My guess is they're going long or short on him. Nothing in between. 6x8 or Nx2. Something like that. 6x8 is contingent on a massive breakout year. Call it 30~ goals and 60~ points.

Push comes to shove, I think they'll be OK liquidating Goodrow (M-NTC — 15 teams). There will be no shortage of suitors for him.

While I never want to stifle conversations, it's simply impractical to try envisioning any realistic outcomes this far in advance. We know too little about what might happen with performance, injury, etc. If Chytil still Chytil's, who's to say they'll even want to re-sign him? Miller feels legit, but there's a pretty visible production ceiling there. Same with Lindgren. It's possible they'll even be competing for who stays and who goes. It's an easy argument, too. They've decided to keep Trouba, so you're either paying Key or Lindgren — whoever you think is your 1LD in the long-run. The other one is trade fodder IMO, to backfill with something more controllable. Schneider, Robertson, or maybe Lundkvist probably get asked to play up with Trouba and we repeat the process again in 2–3 years.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:55 PM, Capt said:

Oh no is this a Panarin thread?

Might be one if he wilts again, but until then, no.

16 hours ago, Phil said:

Yeah, this is probably somewhat close, though I don't know on that Laf deal, both in AAV and length. My guess is they're going long or short on him. Nothing in between. 6x8 or Nx2. Something like that. 6x8 is contingent on a massive breakout year. Call it 30~ goals and 60~ points.

Push comes to shove, I think they'll be OK liquidating Goodrow (M-NTC — 15 teams). There will be no shortage of suitors for him.

While I never want to stifle conversations, it's simply impractical to try envisioning any realistic outcomes this far in advance. We know too little about what might happen with performance, injury, etc. If Chytil still Chytil's, who's to say they'll even want to re-sign him? Miller feels legit, but there's a pretty visible production ceiling there. Same with Lindgren. It's possible they'll even be competing for who stays and who goes. It's an easy argument, too. They've decided to keep Trouba, so you're either paying Key or Lindgren — whoever you think is your 1LD in the long-run. The other one is trade fodder IMO, to backfill with something more controllable. Schneider, Robertson, or maybe Lundkvist probably get asked to play up with Trouba and we repeat the process again in 2–3 years.

Might be one if he wilts again, but until then, no.

We might also see a loosening of the flat cap and a rise in it.

You never know

12 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

We might also see a loosening of the flat cap and a rise in it.

You never know

Not by very much too soon. Believe estimates still suggest around a million again next season (2023–24).

K'Andre has been growing at a trajectory that could have him pegged as a top 10 D in the league if the progression continues. He def has the tools. Trading him is tough to stomach imo. Is he RFA or UFA at the end of this year? What is the expected salary increase?

Lindgren is a heart and soul kind of guy that teams love BUT the mileage adds up so much quicker on these guys. He will be 26 at the end of this current contract with an expected raise to 5 or 6 mil?

Schneider is going to be more in line to replace Lindgren than Miller imo. Saying good bye to any of the new generation of this team will be tough but necessary to keep the wheels rolling. Kakko needs to break out this year to make his extension worth our time. AND if Chytil doesn't progress further then I am sending him packing at the deadline. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

K'Andre has been growing at a trajectory that could have him pegged as a top 10 D in the league if the progression continues. He def has the tools. Trading him is tough to stomach imo. Is he RFA or UFA at the end of this year? What is the expected salary increase?

Lindgren is a heart and soul kind of guy that teams love BUT the mileage adds up so much quicker on these guys. He will be 26 at the end of this current contract with an expected raise to 5 or 6 mil?

Schneider is going to be more in line to replace Lindgren than Miller imo. Saying good bye to any of the new generation of this team will be tough but necessary to keep the wheels rolling. Kakko needs to break out this year to make his extension worth our time. AND if Chytil doesn't progress further then I am sending him packing at the deadline. 

I agree with all of this, but it's still a tough call, because Lindgren is highly respected (think Girardi and Staal). He's also, like Trouba, going to be pretty hard to replace (you can't really buy heart).

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

I agree with all of this, but it's still a tough call, because Lindgren is highly respected (think Girardi and Staal). He's also, like Trouba, going to be pretty hard to replace (you can’t really buy heart).

I thought you said this wasn’t a Panarin thread 

🙂

Schneider isn't going to move to the left to play with Fox though. Do you break up Miller/Trouba? I don't see Miller doing well with Fox against heavy teams.

Lindgen might be a cap casualty but he would be sorely  missed IMO.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah…. But they can change that at any time if the numbers are good

I mean, barring what miraculous business deal? They're not pulling these estimates out of their ass, they're based on actual growth against actual deals and working against the nearly $1.2 billion debt the players owe the owners over the pandemic season(s).

Yes, they can change. They're just not likely to. Not that drastically.

26 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Where do we anticipate Lindgren's next contract in terms of AAV? Solid top-4 shut down guy who plays the PK. $5mil AAV?

Hampus Lindholm ceiling ($6.5M)? I think we'd have to look more closely at all the numbers, including age, because Lindgren will be 25 or 26 when he's due his big deal. Lindholm was 28? Not a huge difference, but there's going to be one more RFA year left on Lindgren that will factor in.