• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Othmann, Cuylle, Garand Named to 2022 Canadian World Junior Championship Team

Phil

his attitude is great but Cuylle out produced him in the WJC.  Other than throwing couple of good hits, he was a non-factor and mostly invisible.  That is a concern.  On the positive note, he played all over the ice, did not discriminate on which side he was,  so playing RW may not be a concern.  

But Cuylle, on the other hand, was much more impressive.  He's big and physical and can score occasionally.  I can see him competing for the 4th line spot. 

Garand needs a lot more seasoning IMO.  Needs another 2-3 years until he sniffs the NHL.  He was outplayed by Finnish and Czechia goalies for sure

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

his attitude is great but Cuylle out produced him in the WJC.  Other than throwing couple of good hits, he was a non-factor and mostly invisible.  That is a concern.  On the positive note, he played all over the ice, did not discriminate on which side he was,  so playing RW may not be a concern.  

But Cuylle, on the other hand, was much more impressive.  He's big and physical and can score occasionally.  I can see him competing for the 4th line spot. 

Garand needs a lot more seasoning IMO.  Needs another 2-3 years until he sniffs the NHL.  He was outplayed by Finnish and Czechia goalies for sure

I thought Othmann looked great when he was playing on the top line. He wa a scratch, played well, then moved down to the 4th line. 

i don’t recall Cuylle playing outside of a shift or too, easily in the tournament. He also put up less points in more games compared to othmann, so I’m confused on the “out produced”.

i also don’t want Cuylle in a 4th line role. His potential is so much higher. 

12 minutes ago, josh said:

I thought Othmann looked great when he was playing on the top line. He wa a scratch, played well, then moved down to the 4th line. 

i don’t recall Cuylle playing outside of a shift or too, easily in the tournament. He also put up less points in more games compared to othmann, so I’m confused on the “out produced”.

i also don’t want Cuylle in a 4th line role. His potential is so much higher. 

All reports have Cuylle as a bottom 6 player including Cuylle’s current coach who vince mercagliano interviewed at one point (I might have that wrong but I believe it was his coach) on his podcast. 

34 minutes ago, josh said:

Cuylle looked great playing on the first line too.  Other than the final, Canada's competition mainly sucked.

I totally dont remember Othmann scoring the second goal, and i watched all Canada games.  That's why i thought Cuylle out produced him. Never looked up the stats. 

25 minutes ago, siddious said:

All reports have Cuylle as a bottom 6 player including Cuylle’s current coach who vince mercagliano interviewed at one point (I might have that wrong but I believe it was his coach) on his podcast. 

i'm sure he's going to start out as bottom 6.  He's big and hits.  He was the biggest player on the Canadian team.

Edited by CCCP

2 hours ago, siddious said:

he’s not a 4th liner. That’d literally limit his best asset, and much needed asset for the team - his shot 

doesnt sound like a guy whose slated to be a 4th liner 

Cuylle is also drawing an impressive comparison from his well-known coach.

“I look at Milan Lucic in his prime,” said of Cuylle. “Cools skates a little better than Looch, but the physical presence is the same. Maybe Cools doesn’t have Looch’s fighting skills, but as a guy I played with in the league, Cools reminds me of him. And Cools is going to play in the league for sure.”

prospect expert Pronman is one saying he’s a bottom 6 guy. Everyone whose watched knows he’ll be a complimentary piece with skilled players. 

39 minutes ago, josh said:

he’s not a 4th liner. That’d literally limit his best asset, and much needed asset for the team - his shot 

doesnt sound like a guy whose slated to be a 4th liner 

prospect expert Pronman is one saying he’s a bottom 6 guy. Everyone whose watched knows he’ll be a complimentary piece with skilled players. 

I’m no expert and maybe it wasnt his coach but I’ve def seen more than one report saying his ceiling is projected to be 3-4th line. 

hope you’re right though . 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2022/08/31/will-cuylle-ny-rangers-prospect-2022-2023-season/65401777007/

“He has a great shot and he'll get to the dirty areas with no problem around the net,” Savard said. “He's a good guy to play with because he gets in, bangs bodies and creates openings for his linemates. They’re able to get pucks, and then he goes to the net where he gets rewarded.”

Ortmeyer envisions Cuylle as “someone you can move up and down your lineup” who will “enhance the talents” of his linemates by clearing space in the middle of the ice, pounding opponents along the boards and finishing around the net.