• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

More Players Step Forward in Hockey Canada Sex Assault Investigation as Probe is Re-Opened

Phil

Slowly but surely, the players from Canada’s 2018 world junior hockey team are speaking up, distancing themselves from an alleged sex assault after a team reunion that has shaken Hockey Canada to its core.

Arizona Coyotes defenceman Conor Timmins was the latest to step forward, with management group Quartexx tweeting on his behalf: “I am aware of the allegations made against some of the members of the 2018 Canadian World Junior Hockey team at the London, Ontario gala event in June of 2018. I was not involved in any way in the incident that gave rise to the allegations that have been reported. No one alleges that I was present or involved and I have no personal knowledge of what occurred.”

Timmins — who also pledged to “continue to co-operate” with investigations — is the 14th player from the team of 22 to step forward with a statement either directly or through a representative. Some have proclaimed innocence. Most have promised co-operation. Some simply reminded fans they weren’t at the event.

Hockey Canada recently announced it would be reopening an investigation into the alleged incident involving eight unidentified players, including members of that 2018 team. The NHL also promises to reveal the results of its own investigation when it is complete.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2022/07/18/more-players-step-forward-in-hockey-canada-sex-assault-investigation.html

--

TSN first reported on the allegations in May, citing a lawsuit filed by the woman who made the allegation earlier this year. In it, she alleged eight players from the Canadian Hockey League and the World Junior championship team bought her alcoholic beverages and that she went back to a nearby hotel with one of the players.

TSN reported that after allegedly engaging in sexual acts with the woman, a player cited only as John Doe 1  “invited the remainder of the John Doe defendants into the room without the knowledge or consent of the Plaintiff,” where they allegedly repeatedly sexually assaulted her.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8935781/hockey-canada-alleged-sex-assault-probe-player-responses/

--

Hockey Canada has been taking it in the teeth for weeks/months on this story, which just gets worse and worse with each new chapter in the reporting, including a recent report that indicates they used registration fees to build a fund to cover sexual assault claims.

As of this moment, Conor Timmins, Cale Makar, Victor Mete, Dante Fabbro, Jonah Gadjovich, and Cal Foote have all spoken out to claim they weren't involved in what reportedly took place, which suggests there's now a public pressure campaign on other members of the team to also declare their innocence. I'd imagine we'll have a functional list of potential culprits really soon.

• Phil changed the title to More Players Step Forward in Hockey Canada Sex Assault Investigation as Probe is Re-Opened

I haven’t read all the statements by players, but I don’t recall many “I had no knowledge of the incident”

and the fact they all lawyered up to release the statement is a huge red flag to me. 

13 hours ago, josh said:

I haven’t read all the statements by players, but I don’t recall many “I had no knowledge of the incident”

and the fact they all lawyered up to release the statement is a huge red flag to me. 

It's 2022, everybody's lawyered up. 

• 2 months later...

6 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

All it took was all of their sponsors dropping out and their subsidiaries not paying player fees...

i mean, they did just get the cover of “cHeL”. Best publicity you can get for the game.