• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pens Re-Sign Kris Letang to 6-Year/$36.6M Extension; $6.1M AAV

• Phil changed the title to Penguins Close to Re-Signing Kris Letang to 3-Year Deal
  • Phil changed the title to Pens Re-Sign Kris Letang to 6-Year/$36.6M Extension; $6.1M AAV
27 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

35+, full NMC, until he's 41. Highest paid defender on the team currently. Even if it's a good deal for a year or two, that's an awful contract. Have a feeling he'll be on LTIR for years 4-6.

does the cap hit come off for a 35+ contract even if on LTIR?  im not sure it does

They'll be chanting Hexxxxtal, Hexxxtal when they are paying a 39 through 41 year old 6.1 per year and he's doing spot duty on the third pair.

They better hope the LTIR exception still applies after a new CBA is passed.  He's likely to be out with a runny nose for the second half of this contract.

• Like 1

Just now, Cash or Czech said:

Pretty sure you can't/get no cap benefit from buying out a 35+ contract

I didn't know there was an age thing associated with a buyout? I thought a certain amount of the AAV was on your cap for a few years depending on the length of the deal? Still a bad contract either way.

21 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I didn't know there was an age thing associated with a buyout? I thought a certain amount of the AAV was on your cap for a few years depending on the length of the deal? Still a bad contract either way.

35+ contracts have extra restrictions on them

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, H-Dreamer said:

Could they find a team (Coyotes usually?) to bury that contract eventually or would that still give them a cap penalty?

Actually the two words "Penguins" and "Penalty" don't often or rarely, collide in the same sentence!!!  LOL

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • LMFAO 1