• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22: Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award — Chris Drury Nominated

Phil

Who wins?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Julien BriesBois
    • Chris Drury
    • Joe Sakic

10 hours ago, siddious said:

Sakic will probably win but if we’re talking about this past year strictly I think it should be drury. 

Yup. Don't think Sakic has done anything special this year, but he has built an amazing team.

Funny how so many people said Drury and the Rangers had a bad off-season (some are still saying it lol), but taking a team from outside the playoffs to two wins away from a SC final is one hell of an accomplishment.

Honestly I've like all his moves so far. Everyone will not work out as planned of course (Nemeth), but the idea was always the right one. We needed grit and leadership - he got it (Goodrow, Reaves, Blais), we needed a reliable 3RD to play with Lundkvist - he got it (altought it didn't work out and the trade clause was a bit too much). He adapted to his mistake by bringing in Braun for basically nothing. Vatrano for a 4th is probably the best trade of the season, Copp was also a really good find.

Don't care if he wins or not, but I like what Drury has done so far.

I've heard on the Michael Kaye show that a lot of people said the same thing about the Yankees in the off season as well, Zuuuuc man.  Whatever...the fact is that the Rangers gave us a very entertaining ride this season, and a hope that we haven't had for too long, in my book! 

I like the moves too, and I'm anxious to see how this off season works out.  I trust in Drury, and I think he's going to do us proud!

• Cheers 1

Drury did a great job and probably had one of the best trade deadlines of any team in recent memory. When you consider what he gave up, and what they got back for it and how far they went, you can certainly make an argument. 

But Sakic will win. He should win just for having Nate McKinnon playing for 6 million a year. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Drury did a great job and probably had one of the best trade deadlines of any team in recent memory. When you consider what he gave up, and what they got back for it and how far they went, you can certainly make an argument. 

But Sakic will win. He should win just for having Nate McKinnon playing for 6 million a year. 

Talk to me if he gets him to sign for that again 🤣

• 4 months later...

Why is this named after Jim Gregory?  He was GM of the Leafs from 1969 to 1979, ho hum.  Before that he was the manager of their junior team, the Marlboros, where he made the decision to leave a defenseman named Brad Park, who seemed a bit pudgy, unprotected.  He thus rated 20 other junior players above Brad.  

4 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Why is this named after Jim Gregory?  He was GM of the Leafs from 1969 to 1979, ho hum.  Before that he was the manager of their junior team, the Marlboros, where he made the decision to leave a defenseman named Brad Park, who seemed a bit pudgy, unprotected.  He thus rated 20 other junior players above Brad.  

In Gregory's 10 years as general manager, the Maple Leafs made eight playoff appearances.[5] They also introduced many future stars including Darryl Sittler, Lanny McDonald, Tiger Williams, Ian Turnbull, and Mike Palmateer, during a time which many players defected to the rival league, World Hockey Association.[9][10][11] He was one of the first managers to turn to Europe as a source of NHL talent, recruiting defenseman Borje Salming and winger Inge Hammarstrom, in 1973, to play for the Leafs.[12][2] Gregory was also responsible for introducing a scouting system within the organization, hiring five full-time scouts.[3] However, after the Maple Leafs suffered an elimination in the quarterfinal round of the 1979 Stanley Cup playoffs, Gregory was fired by owner Harold Ballard, and replaced with his predecessor, Punch Imlach.[9] Gregory learned of the news when he received a call from an NHL executive offering him the directorship of the NHL Central Scouting Bureau, unaware that Ballard had fired him.[9]

Recognized for his knowledge of potential European talent for the NHL, Gregory was offered and accepted the position of Director of the NHL Central Scouting Service in 1979, replacing Jack Button.[13] Gregory remained until 1986, when he was named Executive Director of Hockey Operations for the NHL. In 1998, he was named chairman of the Hockey Hall of Fame selection committee and Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations of the NHL.[5][14] Considered to be a vital part of the NHL's Hockey Operations and Officiating Department, he was known for introducing goal reviews.[5][15]

You're right, he doesn't deserve recognition because... Brad Park. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

You're right, he doesn't deserve recognition because... Brad Park. 

Just an anecdote of interest to Ranger fans.  No cup wins or trips to the finals in 11 years, during a period when being original six was still an advantage.  The Leafs were not one of the better teams of that period (Canadians, Bruins, Flyers, Rangers, Hawks).  A curious choice for naming this award, to say the least.

• Phil locked this topic