• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dylan Garand Continues His Rise — 'Arguably the Best Goalie in the CHL'

Phil

Terrific is a good way to describe Garand’s season so far. He leads all WHL goalies with a .926 save percentage and a 1.97 goals-against average, just ahead of World Junior teammate Sebastian Cossa, the Red Wings’ 2021 first-rounder who, according to sources, was a strong target of the Rangers — Detroit traded up from No. 23 to No. 15 to nab Cossa just ahead of the Rangers.

Garand does not fit the mold of the prototypical NHL goalie of this era: He’s 6-foot-1 and 181 pounds. Rangers goalie guru Benoit Allaire has done wonders with some goalies considered too small to be perfect NHL fits, like that Lundqvist fellow who was also, coincidentally, 6-1 and about 180. Garand has the sort of personal qualities that have allowed him to flourish with Kamloops for four years in the high-scoring WHL, where his save percentage has improved steadily from a .902 in his age 16 rookie season to .921 in his draft and post-draft seasons, even though the 2020-21 “season” in the WHL was a pandemic-shortened 22 games.

“He’s probably the most committed to the process of any goaltender I’ve been around,” Clouston said. “It’s not a surprise to me. It’s just been relentless for the three years that I’ve worked with him — relentless his commitment to his craft. It’s, ‘What can I do today to improve myself to accomplish ultimately what I believe is going to happen?'”

“Besides his skill set, work ethic, that’s probably his greatest ability, is to refocus, reset, reframe everything. … Whether it’s a warmup, cool down, workout, goalie ice, his greatest asset is he’s completely immersed in the moment. We get back from Kelowna, about a two-hour ride, 12:15, 12:30 a.m. — he starts unpacking his gear and filling up the cold tub. He makes sure he’s gonna do that before he hops in the car and goes home. There’s a commitment to what’s next.”

https://theathletic.com/3112080/2022/02/07/rangers-prospect-pipeline-check-in-dylan-garand-continues-his-rise-arguably-the-best-goalie-in-the-chl/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

--

His preparation and mental dedication sound Lundqvist-esque.

• Like 1
  • The Chyt! 1

• Phil changed the title to Dylan Garand Continues His Rise — 'Arguably the Best Goalie in the CHL'
3 hours ago, Pete said:

"Best goalie in the CHL" yet career outlook was "He could be a good backup"... 🤔

I mean… hank was a 7th round pick.

I feel like with goalies you just don’t know what they are until they play in the NHL like Dunny said. But it’s an encouraging report. 

• Like 1