• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bruins to Host 2023 Winter Classic at Fenway Park

Yeah, I'll be interested to see who they pick for the opponents. I was thinking Rangers too for the Fenway Park game, but they just were in one four years ago or so, so they might give another team who hasn't been in that many outdoor games yet a chance. But, the New York/Boston thing playing out on a sheet of ice at Fenway makes a ton of sense, so we'll see.

The rumor originally was Pittsburgh, and it’s not as if they haven’t played in 200 outdoor games already.

I think the Rangers actually make a ton of sense here. Not saying it’s going to happen, but I definitely could see it happening for a lot of reasons. Like you said, NY/Boston at Fenway is a draw. The Rangers are one of the up and coming good teams in the league. Two huge hockey markets. And so on and so forth. Will be interested to see.

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The rumor originally was Pittsburgh, and it’s not as if they haven’t played in 200 outdoor games already.

I think the Rangers actually make a ton of sense here. Not saying it’s going to happen, but I definitely could see it happening for a lot of reasons. Like you said, NY/Boston at Fenway is a draw. The Rangers are one of the up and coming good teams in the league. Two huge hockey markets. And so on and so forth. Will be interested to see.

A little exaggeration here, Pens have been in 5.....Rangers have been in 4 (and that is not counting the Kings/Rangers in Vegas in '91.)

Agree that NYR/Bos makes sense b/c of the markets, NYR are a young team with star appeal.  However, Pittsburgh, Washington, even Florida makes sense.  

I could see the NHL scheduling another outdoor game w/ Pitt vs. Washington in the next couple of years with Crosby/Ovie careers winding down.  

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

A little exaggeration here, Pens have been in 5.....Rangers have been in 4 (and that is not counting the Kings/Rangers in Vegas in '91.)

Agree that NYR/Bos makes sense b/c of the markets, NYR are a young team with star appeal.  However, Pittsburgh, Washington, even Florida makes sense.  

I could see the NHL scheduling another outdoor game w/ Pitt vs. Washington in the next couple of years with Crosby/Ovie careers winding down.  

Wow has it only been 5? Feels like so many more.

33 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Honest question: does anyone care about these anymore? 

I’ll be honest, I do. I’ve gone to all 4 of the Ranger outdoor games, and I’ll be honest, it’s an awesome experience. Is it freezing cold? Yes. Is it for everyone? No. But I always look forward to watching the outdoor games, and attending them when they’re involving the Rangers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThirtyONE said:

Honest question: does anyone care about these anymore? 

I can't understand the appeal. Pay more to be colder and have a worse view...not worth it, IMO. Gimme the Tahoe experience (minus melted ice) any time.

Just a sick view and chill atmosphere make the game more enjoyable on TV. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yeah, I'd much rather they look to put these on in iconic settings. Banff. Central Park. Just something other than another stadium.

Banff would be pretty sick from a scenic point of view. Or like a global game in like  Switzerland 

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Banff would be pretty sick from a scenic point of view. Or like a global game in like  Switzerland 

Yeah, there are probably a bunch of sites you could work. Ideally, it works best where a stadium or arena is already in place but has that backdrop, but I'm fully on board with the idea of building a rink, Mystery Alaska-style, just to capture the big shot.

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Yeah, I'd much rather they look to put these on in iconic settings. Banff. Central Park. Just something other than another stadium.

I agree. I think they hit most of the no brainer locations for stadiums by now. Notre Dame, Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, etc. But watching the game in Lake Tahoe was just an awesome thing. I’d love to see them try and figure out, like you said, something like a game in Central Park.

8 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I agree. I think they hit most of the no brainer locations for stadiums by now. Notre Dame, Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, etc. But watching the game in Lake Tahoe was just an awesome thing. I’d love to see them try and figure out, like you said, something like a game in Central Park.

Yeah, even West Point and Air Force were unique. I'm just completely over baseball and football stadiums. 

16 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’ll be honest, I do. I’ve gone to all 4 of the Ranger outdoor games, and I’ll be honest, it’s an awesome experience. Is it freezing cold? Yes. Is it for everyone? No. But I always look forward to watching the outdoor games, and attending them when they’re involving the Rangers.

You've been to all four? That's awesome. I'm jealous. lol I would have loved to have gone to the ones at Yankee Stadium especially.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

You've been to all four? That's awesome. I'm jealous. lol I would have loved to have gone to the ones at Yankee Stadium especially.

Yeah I still had my seasons for them all except the 2018 one. That one, I got in through a friend who had tickets. The Yankee Stadium ones were great; the Devil one was cold and snowy but the Islander game was absolutely freezing. The coldest one was the Citi Field game. Luckily I wound up in a suite for that game, haha. The one in Philly I had tickets in the lower bowl. Probably the most memorable of the 4.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I went to 3, didnt go to the NYR/NYI at Yankee Stadium.  

Honestly, the Winter Classic in Philly was the best experience.  Had the best seats, mid level, suites were right behind me so it wasnt cold, it was a warmer day but at night it started to get a little windy but we were blocked by the wind.  The other ones were miserable b/c it was like in the teens at the other 3 games.  

I spent a lot of time in the club area just to stay warm at the CitiField one.  

With that said i'll probably be a sucker and go to Fenway Park.  

• 4 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/news/carolina-hurricanes-to-host-washington-capitals-in-2023-stadium-series/nBCeRgcQfvjp/

The Carolina Hurricanes will host the Washington Capitals in Raleigh’s Carter-Finley Stadium as part of the NHL’s Stadium Series for the 2022-23 season. Previously it had been announced Carolina would host a game on Feb. 20, 2021, but that game was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This game will take place on Feb. 18.

Edited by Blue Heaven

Foxboro is simply a way better choice than Fenway. It's big, confortable, lots of bars and restaurants right there,and you can tailgate. Figure though the Patriots might be using it, but it could be worked out. Fenway for all the history is a dump and a firetrap. 

• 1 month later...

Are you KIDDING me? My goodness, market another fucking franchise. This will be their 6th outdoor game. The Penguins and Bruins don’t even have a rivalry, so this is strictly just a “put Crosby outdoors” play. There is no historic relevance between the cities of Pittsburgh and Boston.

Hell, even the Rangers, who have been in 4, have more of an old school rivalry history with the Bruins.

But, again. Sidney, Sidney, Sidney.

Yawn.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Are you KIDDING me? My goodness, market another fucking franchise. This will be their 6th outdoor game. The Penguins and Bruins don’t even have a rivalry, so this is strictly just a “put Crosby outdoors” play. There is no historic relevance between the cities of Pittsburgh and Boston.

Hell, even the Rangers, who have been in 4, have more of an old school rivalry history with the Bruins.

But, again. Sidney, Sidney, Sidney.

Yawn.

It's a simple reason.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+nhl+teams+get+highest+TV+ratings&oq=what+nhl+teams+get+highest+TV+ratings&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i22i29i30.13682j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8