• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers are in the 'Chychrun Sweepstakes'

Phil

4 hours ago, Pete said:

He's a good player, but don't see the point when we have tremendous depth on defense up and coming. He's just going to eat cap and block cheaper options. Isn't like we're asking him to put up offensive numbers.

Shneider is looking the goods 

3rd center who can win FOs

4 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

Yeah, I just don't know why we'd be interested in a dman who's signed beyond this year. Makes no sense to me and I think Friedman's comments are more of a dart throw "what if" kind of comment. 

Because he's really fucking good, and is 23, and signed for the next four years at $4.6 million? Why wouldn't you want him? I'd rather pay Chychrun $4.6 million x 4 than whatever amount of money and years it takes to suffer Nemeth and keep Miller.

• VINNY! 2

10 hours ago, Phil said:

By offering them some salary going the other way to help offset — especially salary you don't have to re-up yourself. Shit, I'd add to my deal just to include Nemeth, too.

I guess it could work, but is it really worth giving up the little we have in cap space and 3 solid pieces just to upgrade Miller to Chychrun? Wouldn't it be better to use all that cap space and those assets to upgrade on Chytil and then just find a new veteran 3rd pair D to help offset Miller a little? I just feel like this is overkill for a #4D that's been playing on a shit team for years and never played playoff hockey.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I guess it could work, but is it really worth giving up the little we have in cap space and 3 solid pieces just to upgrade Miller to Chychrun? Wouldn't it be better to use all that cap space and those assets to upgrade on Chytil and then just find a new veteran 3rd pair D to help offset Miller a little? I just feel like this is overkill for a #4D that's been playing on a shit team for years and never played playoff hockey.

He's a 1D, not a 4D. So, yes.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

He's a 1D, not a 4D. So, yes.

On this team he's nowhere near 1D. We have THE 1D.

And I'm not interesting in splitting up Lindgren - Fox because of Chychrun and I would also assume Trouba is ahead of him with how he's played so far this season. So he'll be a #4D. He'll play 2nd pair, no (or minimal) PP time and I don't think having a guy that's -27 (yes bad team, useless stats bla bla) having be our "shutdown guy". Because that's really what we need on defense. Not another offensive-Dman.

• VINNY! 1

Just now, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

On this team he's nowhere near 1D. We have THE 1D.

And I'm not interesting in splitting up Lindgren - Fox because of Chychrun and I would also assume Trouba is ahead of him with how he's played so far this season. So he'll be a #4D. He'll play 2nd pair, no (or minimal) PP time and I don't think having a guy that's -27 (yes bad team, useless stats bla bla) having be our "shutdown guy". Because that's really what we need on defense. Not another offensive-Dman.

Chychrun-Fox

Lindgren-Trouba

Or 

Lindgren-Fox

Chychrun-Trouba

Doesn't matter. Rock solid, playoff-winning defense.

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Phil said:

Chychrun-Fox

Lindgren-Trouba

Or 

Lindgren-Fox

Chychrun-Trouba

I guess it could work.

The problem here is that those guys got like ~30 playoff games between them and Trouba's the only with anything close to playoff experience. I guess we have the same problem right now with Miller tho.

Lindgren - Fox

(Solid "shutdown D") - Trouba

Miller - Schneider

Ideally I would go for something like this and rather use the assets on upgrading 3C/RW.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm borderline sold on the player, but not the contract or the cost to acquire.

The contract is the least of my worries. Cost to acquire is absolutely the "issue." Because everyone is gonna want him. That might end up making someone pay stupid pricing.

• VINNY! 1

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

Chychrun-Fox

Lindgren-Trouba

Or 

Lindgren-Fox

Chychrun-Trouba

Our defense isn't really an issue though. Personally, I have no problem with Nemeth as a 6th. And who's playing the 3rd pair in this scenario? Because you're going to have to give a lot to get this dude. 

To me, I think the obvious hole is on RW. 3C after that. That should be the focus. We have the assets to get rentals for those roles and it would be relatively painless. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Our defense isn't really an issue though. Personally, I have no problem with Nemeth as a 6th. And who's playing the 3rd pair in this scenario? Because you're going to have to give a lot to get this dude. 

To me, I think the obvious hole is on RW. 3C after that. That should be the focus. We have the assets to get rentals for those roles and it would be relatively painless. 

If can still be relatively painless. Tyler Toffoli and Chris Tierney aren't breaking the bank to acquire.

2 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

I wouldn't say defense isn't an issue, they're 4th worst in high danger chances against. You'd love to be able to push Miller to the 3rd pair and have Cimmichurri on the 2nd. And that's the value in his contract at under $5M...but we just can't afford that. There's no dead weight you can move.

Just now, Phil said:

If can still be relatively painless. Tyler Toffoli and Chris Tierney aren't breaking the bank to acquire.

How are you affording all this? Tyler Toffoli still has 3 years left and a 4.5 cap hit. He's going to cost a pretty penny. Chychrun is going to cost an arm and a leg. Plus that's what, 10m added to the cap?

After this season we have a cap problem, so to me, the only real answer at this deadline is rental players. They go away after the season, we resign our core, and run it back next season. 

Adding players with contracts really makes a mess of things in the summer.

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm borderline sold on the player, but not the contract or the cost to acquire.

Exactly how I feel as well.

The cost to acquire almost, by default, has to include sending 5M in cap the other way - probably for this and next year. That's going to start with Chytil, likely include Nemeth because it should, but the pluses atop that are likely to be pretty significant. 

Arizona can handle bad cap. Heck, they probably have to in order to ice a team next season, but you have to figure that just drives the cost up even higher.

• VINNY! 1

3 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

How are you affording all this? Tyler Toffoli still has 3 years left and a 4.5 cap hit. He's going to cost a pretty penny. Chychrun is going to cost an arm and a leg. Plus that's what, 10m added to the cap?

After this season we have a cap problem, so to me, the only real answer at this deadline is rental players. They go away after the season, we resign our core, and run it back next season. 

Agree. That's why I'm all over JT Miller with retention. I'd rather sell what it takes to get Miller at 50% and get 2 kicks at the can with him. This year at 2RW, maybe next year he shores up 3C. 

• Keeps it 100 2

4 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Actually, you're right on Toffoli. It's the type of player I'm after, though. Good, reliable, not exactly flashy.

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Didn't some genius give Nemeth trade protection? I doubt he wants to go to Arizona.

"Hey Pat...Choose your next destination...Arizona or Hartford. Did they travel by bus to every away game in the SEL?"

3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Didn't some genius give Nemeth trade protection? I doubt he wants to go to Arizona.

I mean, I get it, but that almost never stops an player from being traded, only from being traded to a market he doesn't want to be in. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Winnipeg and the entirety of Canada make up the majority of no trade lists, not Arizona.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, I get it, but that almost never stops an player from being traded, only from being traded to a market he doesn't want to be in. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Winnipeg and the entirety of Canada make up the majority of no trade lists, not Arizona.

That, and since he has an 8 team list, we'd just have to be so unlucky that Arizona is the non-canadian team.

Most players aren't averse to going to Arizona. They get paid whether they show up or not, their performance on-ice doesn't matter at all, the area isn't super expensive, he's gonna bank much more without NY/C taxes, and players just stay there.

• Keeps it 100 1