• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Torts on Zegras/Milano: "I'm not so sure it's good for the game,"

Dunny

Re: Tortorella's comments around the Milano goal, I see the usual suspects are jumping down this throat. 

It always amuses me that guys like Westhead, Seravelli, and, that guy from The Athletic whose name isn't worth attempting, are given free reign to go on full court presses around subverting, and degrading the game of hockey.

In the case of Seravelli and Westhead, it has to be their instructions from TSN, who is never getting the National rights back, here. It seems like a deliberate attempt to devalue the product. They have regional games, which will always be watch by the home team fans, but the National games are where the casual fans come in.

All this talk about "evolving" the game. Why? As Tortorella said, what's wrong with playing an honest game, where heart, and bravery, where equally valued, why the constant pressure to evolve in to something barely resembling hockey?

13 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Re: Tortorella's comments around the Milano goal, I see the usual suspects are jumping down this throat. 

It always amuses me that guys like Westhead, Seravelli, and, that guy from The Athletic whose name isn't worth attempting, are given free reign to go on full court presses around subverting, and degrading the game of hockey.

In the case of Seravelli and Westhead, it has to be their instructions from TSN, who is never getting the National rights back, here. It seems like a deliberate attempt to devalue the product. They have regional games, which will always be watch by the home team fans, but the National games are where the casual fans come in.

All this talk about "evolving" the game. Why? As Tortorella said, what's wrong with playing an honest game, where heart, and bravery, where equally valued, why the constant pressure to evolve in to something barely resembling hockey?

My only issue with Torts comments are that he'd take his own player aside for doing it. Why? 

In my opinion the message should be "That was pretty... Don't complain if your head gets taken off on your next shift".

I don't even really have an issue with the Milano goal, it's the Michigan's where the players looking down at the puck and nobody's making them pay the price as they come around the other side of the net.

I'm all for the trick shot goals, but if you're embarrassing the other team, there's a price for that in the game of hockey.

Good points, but I see that as the core issue. The violent aspect is gone. There's no fear. Nobody heards footsteps, anymore. 

Trouba makes the most basic, standard, clean body check and the everyone is shocked, and half the room is wondering if he can even do that.

• LOL 1

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Good points, but I see that as the core issue. The violent aspect is gone. There's no fear. Nobody heards footsteps, anymore. 

Trouba makes the most basic, standard, clean body check and the everyone is shocked, and half the room is wondering if he can even do that.

Yea, Trouba has only made one suspect hit in my mind and that was 2 years ago on Pageau. 

Marek and Friedman were talking about this on 32 Thoughts... They basically said skill players can still get angry and play physically, and nobody ever showed up to a hockey game saying "I can't wait to see these two teams respect the hell out of each other".

All that being said, there is a part of me who also understands that we need to protect players brains.

At the end of the day I'm kind of torn about it all.

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

As I'd say to Torts, "bro, they have shootouts and jersey ads. You're too late"

• Phil changed the title to Torts on Zegras/Milano: “I’m not so sure it's good for the game,”
  • Phil changed the title to Torts on Zegras/Milano: 'i'm Not So Sure It's Good for the Game,'
  • Phil changed the title to Torts on Zegras/Milano: "I'm not so sure it's good for the game,"
28 minutes ago, Pete said:

"Man fuck Torts for not being inclusive to this new side of the game. He should be completely excluded from it unless he subscribes to the group think."

Come on.

It's the same shit from the other side though. "This has no place in MY hockey." Why should I concede when he won't either? Why am I wrong if he's not?

4 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

It's the same shit from the other side though. "This has no place in MY hockey." Why should I concede when he won't either? Why am I wrong if he's not?

I listened to both interviews, and he literally never said  the words "my game". What he said is the game has become too easy to play. There are people who agree with him. I love seeing the skill, but I also would love to see someone on the other team get embarrassed and let Zegras know...You want to try trick shots, go for it. Good goal. Know what else is cool? Clean hits.

The fact that people, even in the media, are ripping this dude apart for simply having a dissenting opinion, is more embarrassing for them than for him.

Edited by Pete
  • VINNY! 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I listened to both interviews, and he literally never said  the words "my game". What he said is the game has become too easy to play. There are people who agree with him.

The fact that people, even in the media, are ripping this dude apart for simply having a dissenting opinion, is more embarrassing for them than for him.

I'm not ripping him a new one. I'm saying that I don't agree with him as much as he doesn't agree with me. It's not that the game has become too easy to play. It's that players have ridiculously more skill than they did 20, hell even 10 years ago. The guys who will punch your skull in for doing this aren't in the NHL anymore because they're ineffective. I'm sorry the game has evolved in a way that Torts doesn't like.

Edited by Cash or Czech

39 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I'm sorry the game has evolved in a way that Torts doesn't like.

Well you're actually saying that he's not allowed to say he doesn't like it, and he should just stop watching....So you're no better since you are both saying "If you don't like what I like, then GTFO".

Regarding the rest of the post, if Zegras did that and Trouba planted him into the 3rd row for it, I'm sure nobody here would complain about it.

Edited by Pete

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well you're actually saying that he's not allowed to say he doesn't like it, and he should just stop watching....So you're no better since you are both saying "If you don't like what I like, then GTFO".

Regarding the rest of the post, if Zegras did that and Trouba planted him into the 3rd row for it, I'm sure nobody here would complain about it.

Fine, fair point. I'm wrong in that. He can voice his displeasure. 

Also agree, and I think that's Torts' point. He wants more folks to pummel the guy trying the Michigan into a pile of rubble on the boards. Those types of players aren't as present as they used to be. It's more challenging to be a physical behemoth that can catch these shifty, smaller, skilled players. Paging McIlrath. That's how I see the game evolving and I'm not upset by it.

24 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Fine, fair point. I'm wrong in that. He can voice his displeasure. 

Also agree, and I think that's Torts' point. He wants more folks to pummel the guy trying the Michigan into a pile of rubble on the boards. Those types of players aren't as present as they used to be. It's more challenging to be a physical behemoth that can catch these shifty, smaller, skilled players. Paging McIlrath. That's how I see the game evolving and I'm not upset by it.

I get what you're saying, but I don't see why it has to be either or. Players are more creative, great. Zegras was behind the net and no one even tried to get after him, and I get not chasing a player behind the net when we always said "No one's gonna score from behind the net", but now they do, so that thinking is also old. Also, why was Milano unmolested in front? Take the penalty. Make them earn it. That's my $.02.

• Keeps it 100 1