• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sabres' Owen Power to Return to University of Michigan This Season

Phil

People will rip this, and/or laugh because Sabres, and that's justified (the laughing part), but this i probably the best course of action for both parties. Developmentally, Power is probably better served going for a national title with one of the hottest NCAA hockey programs in the country than he is sulking through a miserable season with a still bad Sabres team that's about to get a lot worse (when they trade Eichel).

People will rip this, and/or laugh because Sabres, and that's justified (the laughing part), but this i probably the best course of action for both parties. Developmentally, Power is probably better served going for a national title with one of the hottest NCAA hockey programs in the country than he is sulking through a miserable season with a still bad Sabres team that's about to get a lot worse (when they trade Eichel).

Reinforcing that not all top picks need to play in the NHL immediately. We saw Kakko and Lafreniere, clearly neither were ready, but if the option to stay in the NCAA is there, Power should do it.

• Like 1

Reinforcing that not all top picks need to play in the NHL immediately. We saw Kakko and Lafreniere, clearly neither were ready, but if the option to stay in the NCAA is there, Power should do it.

I love that about it, too. I really want that to be normalized again. I don't think Dahlin was ready, either.

disagree. Laf was ready and he showed it towards the end of the shortened season. Kakko is a maybe for me. He had the body but possibly not the mind to jump into the NHL.

disagree. Laf was ready and he showed it towards the end of the shortened season. Kakko is a maybe for me. He had the body but possibly not the mind to jump into the NHL.

If he wasn't ready at the beginning, he wasn't ready. It took him 50 games to be decent. He was god awful for much of the season, and if he were AHL eligible, would have been sent down IMO.

I love that about it, too. I really want that to be normalized again. I don't think Dahlin was ready, either.

Right. It was so clear Laf could have benefitted from even half a season in the AHL to get his legs under him.

Also Eichel prolly called Power and said:

jonahhill-no.gif

Have to think Lafreniere might have been more ready if not for covid stuff. Was there a good option for him to play somewhere else though given the circumstances? They still probably made the right call letting him learn on the job

Have to think Lafreniere might have been more ready if not for covid stuff. Was there a good option for him to play somewhere else though given the circumstances? They still probably made the right call letting him learn on the job

Yea, 100%. They weren't sending Laf back to junior and he wasn't AHL eligible. So if Power can go back to the NCAA, he should.

If he wasn't ready at the beginning, he wasn't ready. It took him 50 games to be decent. He was god awful for much of the season, and if he were AHL eligible, would have been sent down IMO.

im sure he needed time to adjust, jumping into the NHL from Quebec Junior league.

im sure he needed time to adjust, jumping into the NHL from Quebec Junior league.

Yea, I mean...If only there was a league that sat between Junior and the NHL where he could adjust with less pressure before being called up...

Yea, I mean...If only there was a league that sat between Junior and the NHL where he could adjust with less pressure before being called up...

You want him to go to college??

He was NHL ready. It wasn’t a question. Same with Kakko.