• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

WPG Re-Sign Neal Pionk to 4-Year/$23.5M Extension; $5.875M AAV

Phil

I'd much rather have had Pionk at his deal, then Trouba at his deal.

The trade itself made sense, at the time, right up until Gorton drove a hard bargain against himself and opened up his wallet for no reason at all, handing over top dollar to an unproven player.

The trade itself made sense, at the time, right up until Gorton drove a hard bargain against himself and opened up his wallet for no reason at all, handing over top dollar to an unproven player.

Was he UFA or RFA at the time? I cant remember.

Imagine we gave them pionk and didnt end up signing trouba

Yes, up to this point.

Trouba wasn't, by any stretch, "unproven." He'd been in the league for six seasons when they acquired him. He also wasn't paid for "no reason at all." He was paid for similarly damaging reasons, though. "What have you done for me lately?"

They acquired and paid a career 40-point defender, who put up career-best numbers in a contract year, like the 60-point defender he was for... one year. That's the problem, in a nut shell.

Yes, up to this point.

Trouba wasn't, by any stretch, "unproven." He'd been in the league for six seasons when they acquired him. He also wasn't paid for "no reason at all." He was paid for similarly damaging reasons, though. "What have you done for me lately?"

They acquired and paid a career 40-point defender, who put up career-best numbers in a contract year, like the 60-point defender he was for... one year. That's the problem, in a nut shell.

He had not proven he was an $8M player at the time. He just forced his way to new york, and we paid him like we had to give him extra money to play here... Like we're fuckin Edmonton

We do get about $4.5 million back off the Dead Cap after the '22-'23 season....that might help mentally digest Trouba's contract a little easier...I'm not saying it validates the over-payment, but just kinda looking at the glass as half full.