• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

WSH Re-Sign Alex Ovechkin to 5-Year/$47.5M Extension; $9.5 AAV

Phil

No sniff of a hometown discount to help the Caps build a stronger team around him? Ouch. Still a 40-goal pace this year at least.

Not even the slightest bit. My guess is that he averages in the low 30s goal pace (over 82 games) over the course of this contract.

WOW!! That's a hefty tag ...even if it is Ovie! Shit I was thinking the same as Keirik. I thought he wasn't worried about it anymore....So much for that!! He's gonna be 40 when this contract is done!! $9.5 million???

That's a pretty nice dent in the Caps wallet! OUCH!

I could still see him easily getting 35-40 goals on average for the remainder of the contract. He's that great. I don't know if he'd actually approach or pass Gretzky's record, but it'll be interesting.

Oh no doubt! The guy is a threat to score from the bench!! LOL

It's just that I was thinking he'd kinda soften the cash demand a little more than that. Ahhh Well, it is Ovie afterall, I suppose.

I could still see him easily getting 35-40 goals on average for the remainder of the contract. He's that great. I don't know if he'd actually approach or pass Gretzky's record, but it'll be interesting.

Well, at the very least it shows he’s planning on going for that. I hope he gets it.

Well, at the very least it shows he’s planning on going for that. I hope he gets it.

Dude, didn't he come out and say he wasn't "in it for the money" anymore, or something to that effect??? ...or am I having one of those "senior moments" again? LOL

Same. He's been one of my favorite non Rangers.

Dude, didn't he come out and say he wasn't "in it for the money" anymore, or something to that effect??? ...or am I having one of those "senior moments" again? LOL

I'm pretty sure he did say something like that, but I guess the mindset changes when it's actually time to sit down and hash out a deal. lol

Very optimistic. The 35+ physical decline in athletes tends to be quite steep, especially considering the physical style he plays. But he still has that shot, so let's see. Will be interesting to see how close he gets when he hangs them up.

No sniff of a hometown discount to help the Caps build a stronger team around him? Ouch. Still a 40-goal pace this year at least.

Weren’t there snippets of him saying he’s made his money, he’s not worried about that, etc during last couple of years?

He learned from Henrik to take the money. Sounds harsh but it is what it is.

Very optimistic. The 35+ physical decline in athletes tends to be quite steep, especially considering the physical style he plays. But he still has that shot, so let's see. Will be interesting to see how close he gets when he hangs them up.

Yeah, it just depends how he ages, I guess. If he can average around 35 goals a year for each of those years, he can do it. But the AAV certainly isn't doing the organization any favors. It is basically a Lundqvist like deal as Frank said.