• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Zibanejad Seeking 7-8 Years, $10M AAV on Next Contract

9 million for 6 years is probably what theyde need to offer to lock him right now, along with full NMC and whatever up front signing bonuses are possible. Dont think hed take any less.

Of course, if hes ripping it up this season, scoring at his insane end of last year and previous year pace, the price could go up.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With some reluctance, I'd swallow those terms. I think you'd be probably looking at 3-4 elite seasons and 2-3 more ordinary ones. I think Zib is going to drag this out into the season, and the Rangers will be pretty much bidding against themselves before that.

The thing is trying to predict what the cap ceiling will be for the start of the 23/24 season will be. By that time Kakko, Fox, and Kravtsov will be on their second contracts and ALF will be up for his. If ALF has blossomed by then to a superstar status and we have paid Ziby his money, we are really tight cap wise.

Panarin 11.6

Zibanejad 9 (if you assume he comes down slightly)

Fox 9 (assuming Makar set the bar and we lock him up long term)

Trouba 8

Kreider 6.5

Shesty 4

Goodrow 3.6

Kakko 3.5 (just guessing but it seems realistic if not low to me)

Kravtsov 3

Lindgren 3

That’s 61 million on 10 players and that’s without a 2C, ALF in the top 6 if you are assuming Kreider is a third liner, a potential raise for K’Andre, 2 other D, backup goalie, and about 4 of your bottom six. Cap is what, 82 million or so now with a possibility of covid shutting down fans at any time, at best a small bump for the 22/23 season and who knows for 23/24? It’s doable but it’s tight. Very tight. We either have to assume we leap bounds forward and our window is in these next two years or we pray guys don’t develop too fast (Kakko/Kravy) with increased ice time and production to anything elite next season or we have even worse decisions to make. That 8m for Trouba and 6.5 for Kreider are killers on a team with high potential draftees.

On 7/1/24, I want Trouba & Kreider's no trade list TOUT SUITE. Now looking at the trajectory of both players career, what do you see as a possible return on a potential trade of these two.

As soon as 2024 FA hits I WANT TROUBA & KREIDER GONE!! Now looking at the trajectory of both players career, what do you see as a possible return on a potential trade of these two.
They wouldn't get traded at the deadline if we were contending, they probably get traded at the draft. Probably allow us to move up in one of the early rounds, or make a hockey trade. Too early to say.

On 7/1/24, I want Trouba & Kreider's no trade list TOUT SUITE. Now looking at the trajectory of both players career, what do you see as a possible return on a potential trade of these two.

They wouldn't get traded at the deadline if we were contending, they probably get traded at the draft. Probably allow us to move up in one of the early rounds, or make a hockey trade. Too early to say.

Yeah. I’d assume kreider would be a salary dump type trade with him being around 33 by then and oft injured oft not give a fuck type seasons. Trouba who knows.

So signing Zibanejad so there’s another contract they have to move in 3 years?

Getting rid of the Trouba and Kreider contracts is a pipe dream. By 2024, they will simply be salary dumps that require retention. We can only hope the cap is going up by then.

If Zib wants his maximum value, 10m for 7-8, he's just going to have to go UFA and sign with a bad team, because basically no contender is going to be in a position to give him the max. He'd also be risking only having a pretty good year this year (or less) and not getting the max from anyone. If I were advising him, I'd say jump on 9m for 6 from the Rangers. I worry about him being in a bit a bubble with his brother as agent. An independent agent might have a more detached assessment.

Getting rid of the Trouba and Kreider contracts is a pipe dream. By 2024, they will simply be salary dumps that require retention. We can only hope the cap is going up by then.

If Zib wants his maximum value, 10m for 7-8, he's just going to have to go UFA and sign with a bad team, because basically no contender is going to be in a position to give him the max. He'd also be risking only having a pretty good year this year (or less) and not getting the max from anyone. If I were advising him, I'd say jump on 9m for 6 from the Rangers. I worry about him being in a bit a bubble with his brother as agent. An independent agent might have a more detached assessment.

That's in two years. I don't think that's true at all. Trouba won't even be 30 yet. If the Rangers make a couple runs between now and then and he plays well in the playoffs his deal is going to look like a steal compared to Werenski, Jones, Nurse, and some of the new deals to be signed in the next two years.

Trouba's deal does not look that bad now in comparison to those guys, but I don't think any of them will be particularly moveable in a couple of years, save perhaps for Jones. Actually, Kreider's contract doesn't look as bad now compared to some that are being doled out. Reinhart is getting the same thing, for a shorter term (he may not have wanted a longer one). Warts and all, Kreider is a better player.

That's in two years. I don't think that's true at all. Trouba won't even be 30 yet. If the Rangers make a couple runs between now and then and he plays well in the playoffs his deal is going to look like a steal compared to Werenski, Jones, Nurse, and some of the new deals to be signed in the next two years.

It's actually ironic because Trouba's shitty deal likely set the bar for some of those other shitty deals.