• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Islanders Are Like Totally Over Tavares; Seriously, Like Completely Over Him

Phil

I'll say this much: it may have been one night, and they sure as hell deserve all the flak they get for not coming to see their own team play, but god damn are Isles fans creative as hell when they're inspired to be.

"We Don?t Need You," "That?s Our Captain," "Please Don?t Trade Me," "Barzy?s Better," "Past Your Bedtime," "Get Your Jammies," "You Can?t Beat Us," "Who?s Your Daddy?" ? these are great.

Meanwhile, back at MSG, you can hear a pin drop on the ice when they're not pumping in canned sound, and our claim to fame is telling a guy who hasn't been in the league for 31 years and counting that he sucks on whistle cue. Oh, and a bald guy dancing to Jock James Volume II, is it? Awesome.

And before you write "Can You Hear Us," remember ? that was eight years ago. It's time for new material.

Do you honestly think that if it was at the Garden, they wouldn?t have the same chants? How many opportunities do fans get to be that creative? When opportunity arises, all buildings do it. Isles do it once in 40 years and they?re the best fans all of a sudden? Silliness.

Do you honestly think that if it was at the Garden, they wouldn’t have the same chants? How many opportunities do fans get to be that creative? When opportunity arises, all buildings do it. Isles do it once in 40 years and they’re the best fans all of a sudden? Silliness.

Yes, I honestly think that the Garden lacks the same creativity. Even the "YES!" chant is more original than anything the Rangers have done in years. The last creative moment they had was "Can You Hear Us," which was eight years ago. Nearly a decade.

There hasn't been a creative opportunity in eight years?

I am 100% in agreement with Phil on this. That’s not to say islanders fans are better than rangers fans, but I truly believe that the average 15k in the coliseum are more involved with and in tune with the game than the average 18k fans at MSG.

I had season tickets for 13 years. I’ve sat in every section from 419 to 15 rows off the ice. I’ve sat next to some great fans, but more often than not, I sat next to non English speaking tourists who were there for the novelty of it, guys who came in at the start of the second and then left for the third and teachers who were grading tests. I kid you not, I sat next to a woman that graded tests for the duration of the game. That actually happened twice to me, lol.

There are many variables, price being the most obvious, but the barn brings a better fan base on a Tuesday night than MSG does. That’s for sure.

I considered going to MSG last night. I was going to snipe stub hub tix. I was simultaneously trying to get my buddy islanders tix. There were significantly less islander tix and they were much harder to come by. It’s pretty telling l.

Yes, I honestly think that the Garden lacks the same creativity. Even the "YES!" chant is more original than anything the Rangers have done in years. The last creative moment they had was "Can You Hear Us," which was eight years ago. Nearly a decade.

There hasn't been a creative opportunity in eight years?

Give me an example they passed up.

And listen to what you’re saying ... A group of thousands are more creative than another group of thousands. You mean to tell me there’s not 2-3 Ranger fans on Earth that are smart enough to come up with the same chants? Never mind. Don’t answer that. I’ve seen the posts here for 8 years, and have read some Blue Shirt Banter articles. You might be right.

I’m talking about the game yesterday vs the caps, ya snarky jackles lol.

But yesterday any tickets below $40 were immediately grabbed up. At 5pm, there were 57 tickets on stubhub.

The rangers had several hundred tickets on stubhub in the same time frame. But i’ve also gotten into Billy Joel with last second stubhub tix for pennies on the dollar. It wasn’t the case with the islanders yesterday.

I’m talking about the game yesterday vs the caps, ya snarky jackles lol.

But yesterday any tickets below $40 were immediately grabbed up. At 5pm, there were 57 tickets on stubhub.

The rangers had several hundred tickets on stubhub in the same time frame. But i’ve also gotten into Billy Joel with last second stubhub tix for pennies on the dollar. It wasn’t the case with the islanders yesterday.

You shouldn’t have to brag about selling out your barn when you’re in 1st place playing against a team that is currently 2 points behinds you. Oh, and the defending cup champions. Where the fuck were these “fans” consistently for the last 15-20 years?

I can count on one hand the number of creative chants I've heard from the Garden crowd going back 20+ years.

"Sloppy Seconds!" ? 2017

"Can You Hear Us?" ? 2011

"You Can't Beat Us!" ? 2012

"Re-Sign Avery!" ? 2008

"Uncle Daddy!" ? some time during the Civil War

?We want Hextall? ? c. 1995? Anywhere between 95 and 97. We got him. And we lost.

Archived