• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Next Rangers Stanley Cup Victory Will Be:

fletch

The next Rangers? next Stanley Cup championship will be  

20 members have voted

1. 1. The next Rangers? next Stanley Cup championship will be

• In the next three years
    • 3-5 years from now
    • 5-10 years from now
    • 10-20 years from now
    • Over 20 years from now

I hate to think that we might have to wait another 7 or 8 years (since its 25 years and counting from 1994) so hopefully the Cup will come sooner. I remember the 1940 chants, and don't want to get to the point where Islanders/Devils/Flyers fans can start chanting 1994.

No one has shit to say about us winning in 1994. We'd have 11 years on the Isles and 20 on the Flyers. The Devils have 9 years on us. We all suck about the same haha.

Over 20 because....2048. The 54 year curse is real.

Seriously though, so many teams doing so much better with their prospect systems. No generational talent to speak of at any position in the pipeline. Always, ALWAYS just good enough to screw themselves out of a top pick. More expansion teams on the way.

I could see us falling for the same thing we fell for after 2010. We develop a roster of good, not great, players. We become obsessed with our "core." We trade futures looking for that "one last piece," except we go for that last piece six years in a row. In the interim, we bog ourselves down with horrible contracts and stubbornly refuse to trade players as they get older and more expensive because, again, we're very proud of ourselves for this "core" we've built. We justify the next time we tie up $13 million between two stay at home defensemen on sister contracts, except this time it's $15-17 million because of inflation. We occasionally go after the #1 free agent and overpay for that too because, you know, this is New York and everyone WANTS to be here. We have a couple of good playoff runs and a lot of spring time heartbreak.

Then...it becomes apparent that this group won't get it done, and then we "rebuild on the fly" again because mediocrity is an option, but tanking sure as shoot isn't. Rinse and repeat at least one more time before we eventually win by nothing other than blind luck....in 2048.

Over 20 because....2048. The 54 year curse is real.

Seriously though, so many teams doing so much better with their prospect systems. No generational talent to speak of at any position in the pipeline. Always, ALWAYS just good enough to screw themselves out of a top pick. More expansion teams on the way.

I could see us falling for the same thing we fell for after 2010. We develop a roster of good, not great, players. We become obsessed with our "core." We trade futures looking for that "one last piece," except we go for that last piece six years in a row. In the interim, we bog ourselves down with horrible contracts and stubbornly refuse to trade players as they get older and more expensive because, again, we're very proud of ourselves for this "core" we've built. We justify the next time we tie up $13 million between two stay at home defensemen on sister contracts, except this time it's $15-17 million because of inflation. We occasionally go after the #1 free agent and overpay for that too because, you know, this is New York and everyone WANTS to be here. We have a couple of good playoff runs and a lot of spring time heartbreak.

Then...it becomes apparent that this group won't get it done, and then we "rebuild on the fly" again because mediocrity is an option, but tanking sure as shoot isn't. Rinse and repeat at least one more time before we eventually win by nothing other than blind luck....in 2048.

Our history suggests this is a possibility. Hopefully the franchise has learned from almost 80 seasons of hockey. I do appreciate loyalty the org has tended to show our veterans on the decline, but the best GMs are pragmatic when rebuilding and trade their assets (esp veterans) at peak value. I'm encouraged that the Rangers traded McDonagh, and if they pull the trigger on Zuccarello and Hayes deals, provided NYR get good value (they don't have to rip off another GM for the trade(s) to be successful)).

Archived