• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Boston, Colorado Linked to Kevin Hayes

Phil

For me, Hayes is too questionable a player. This year he gets tons of ice time and he gets a couple of points every third game. Everyone says how he's great at defense but the guy never blocks shots. Never. He uses his long reach to poke away once in a while. His skating is sporadic at best and he's unreliable with the opportunities he creates. If he scores or there is a scrum on the ice we always get the same expression, like he's watching Tom and Jerry in his pj's. His trade value is better for the team then what he gives the team.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

For me, Hayes is too questionable a player. This year he gets tons of ice time and he gets a couple of points every third game. Everyone says how he's great at defense but the guy never blocks shots. Never. He uses his long reach to poke away once in a while. His skating is sporadic at best and he's unreliable with the opportunities he creates. If he scores or there is a scrum on the ice we always get the same expression, like he's watching Tom and Jerry in his pj's. His trade value is better for the team then what he gives the team.

He has an incredible knack for creating turnovers in the opponents side of the ice, which often turn into great opportunities. He cashed in on one the other night, unassisted. He also can slow the game down, keep the puck glued to his stick and protect it with his body/reach. Very good on the PK and can be a playmaker with his passing and creativity. When he is skating hard and mixing his game up assertively, he becomes a force.

Because someone doesn’t block shots doesn’t mean they aren’t great defensively.

Blocking shots is for guys who can't actually defend. Datsyuk blocked one every other game.

Yea, agreed here. Comment doesn't make a ton of sense, Hayes leads the team in takeaways.

No way to tell how many shot attempts he suppressed based on stick or body position taking the shot lane away, so the puck carrier has to make a different play.

Yea, agreed here. Comment doesn't make a ton of sense, Hayes leads the team in takeaways.

No way to tell how many shot attempts he suppressed based on stick or body position taking the shot lane away, so the puck carrier has to make a different play.

He also leads the team in giveaways.

Blocking shots could make the difference between being a good defender and a great one. I'm not suggesting this is the case but to say it doesn't make sense is just speculative.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Blocking shots could make the difference between being a good defender and a great one. I'm not suggesting this is the case but to say it doesn't make sense is just speculative.

Couple things there. Leading the team in giveaways has nothing to do with how good a defensive player he is, which was your original argument. Sounds like it's hate for hate's sake.

Secondly, look at the top 20 players in the NHL in giveaways. They're talented offensive players. Doughty, Pastrnak, Gaudreau. When you have the puck a lot and you're trying to create a play, you give it away sometimes.

Would you call perennial Selke finalist Jonathan Toews a great defender? Go look up how many shots he blocks.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived