• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Have Interest in Bringing Grabner Back; Not Likely Nash

Phil

But at least there are options. If you sign grabner, (Zucc, Kreider, Buchnevich, Fast, Vesey - 6 of 8 wing positions locked) Zib, Hayes, Chytil, Andersson, Spooner, Namestnikov 6Cs plus 2 shift to wing. That’s it.

With a rebuild, you should be trying to develop more than 2 players, especially in a throw away season.

Then we trade Names for prospects and when was the last time we didnt have one single injury? Players will be out, some will be traded, some will be benched.

You even included Chytil and Andersson, so even with Grabner and without any trades or injuries we are playing two forward rookies.

Grabs is good juju. He is one of 3 players on the roster who showed up for both playoffs series. He does his job. He was injury free here. He scored double the amount of goals anyone expected both years here. He is fun to watch play hockey. He brought us Rykov and K'Andre Miller. He is the gift that keeps on giving.

I'd agree if they had any legit wing prospects. Are we planning on seeing Lettieri, Ronning, Gettinger or Gropp up here? One of the European free agents? Let's not forget they also need to fill the TOP four spots. Buch, Kreider, Zucc....In a rebuild year I think we see Vesey and Fast get pushed up the lineup even if they don't deserve it. They don't have many options.

I'd rather play any/all of those guys than Grabner, this team has a bunch of bottom-6 winger prospects. '

Off the top of my head, Meskanen, Lakatos, Lettieri, Lindqvist, and Fontaine should all get a look in the bottom-6 before Grabner. They've all been playing professional hockey, and all project in the bottom-6. I'd add Virta but I think he's going to the KHL and wasn't invited to prospect camp.

I'd rather play any/all of those guys than Grabner, this team has a bunch of bottom-6 winger prospects. '

Off the top of my head, Meskanen, Lakatos, Lettieri, Lindqvist, and Fontaine should all get a look in the bottom-6 before Grabner. They've all been playing professional hockey, and all project in the bottom-6. I'd add Virta but I think he's going to the KHL and wasn't invited to prospect camp.

We can get by not signing any more forwards, just that doesn't seem optimum. Need cheap talent and depth. We may yet trade a forward, have injuries, want competition, etc. I'm afraid the guys you mentioned aren't bottom 6 forwards, but most likely barely serviceable. At best, one or two might get a cup of coffee or two. Hope for a surprise, but that's not a professional plan.

An advantage to Grabs is the PK. Really freeing up others to get more work 5X5 . He also forces and drives home the need to play a faster game and work on attack concepts that incorporate speed. He should also have trade value and allows us to recoup an asset, while giving up none.

I try to be very conscious about roster blockers. They have two elements. 1) Actually block a true prospect 2)A blocker does not add unique, strong and/or important attributes to the overall team. Grabs is no blocker. He's plays both wings, can move up the lineup with ease, etc, etc

We can get by not signing any more forwards, just that doesn't seem optimum. Need cheap talent and depth. We may yet trade a forward, have injuries, want competition, etc. I'm afraid the guys you mentioned aren't bottom 6 forwards, but most likely barely serviceable. At best, one or two might get a cup of coffee or two. Hope for a surprise, but that's not a professional plan.

Well you find out if they're barely serviceable or bottom-6 forwards by, you know, playing them. If they're bad, fine, the Rangers aren't winning anything next year anyways.

Grabner makes the team a little bit better, but with no benefit.

Totally get ya. Just raising the bar.

BTW, Grabs brings benefits as mentioned earlier, including providing more depth for trade flexibility.

What about if the team raises its standards and has a better system? Add more 'free' talent on the NHL level ala Grabs or Roussel, da Haan for D. Those short term deals can potentially fill holes that hurt the whole growth of the team.

Then tell those kids to play their asses off, improve, and perform and you'll have a ticket to NY, asap. Let the kids get better w/o the spotlight. Why not have the barely serviceable actually prove they are better than fringe players? When they perform, reward. Show the kids that playing well in the A is the fastest way to NY and have a few callups throughout the season.

Create a great culture throughout the org.

Archived