• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Face Tough Question on Ryan Spooner?s Future

Phil

Good piece Phil. If Spooner attracts a lot of interest in the off season, he could be a good trade asset. I hit on the idea that trading either Zuc or Spoons in the thread I started today. Might be the best way to go, if it nets us a real building block.

I fine keeping Spooner too, since he was good with the B's when he was healthy. He has more offensive upside in him. He fits very well with Fast and Hayes because they compliment him with their D and Fast's board work. If we resign him, 3 or 4 years can work. Two makes little sense. Four is fine if he is at 3.5 to 3.8. With no clauses he will be a movable asset anyway. Wrapping him up for his 4 best years, might be the best strategy. Spooner is not some meh 3rd liner, he has nice talent.

I dunno. I'm firmly comfortable at three. That extra year might begin to tread on the entry points for players like Howden, and other forwards coming through the pipe right now.

I would keep him, give him a manageable 4 year deal. This team has no one knocking on the door to take his spot, and we are lacking top 6 depth in the system. If we can draft someone now, by the time his contract expires, they will be ready to step in. This team needs some top 6 prospects badly.

Archived