• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#46) Rangers vs. Buffalo Soldiers // Dread Lock Rastas

Future

I've been watching a lot of the other teams that are chasing the Rangers (Flyers, Canes, Islanders). They all suck. Rangers may make the playoffs by the sheer fact that the other teams are basically garbage.

The absolute worst end to this season is a 4 or 5 game series blowout to Tampa and one 1st round pick this summer. This is my biggest fear.

Why is that a fear?

I've never in my life seen a fan base that's as afraid to make the playoffs as this one.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is that a fear?

I've never in my life seen a fan base that's as afraid to make the playoffs as this one.

This isn't NCAA basketball. You shouldn't be happy just to be in the tournament. If the Rangers bow out in the first round this season, it'll be three years in a row where no progress was made. Three years in a row where basically the same thing has happened. Then what next year? 8th place again? 1st round exit? The year after that? 1st round exit? What's the point? How many years is too many before you say, okay, let's rethink this because replacing the pieces on a shitty engine just to keep is running isn't working.

They should have made changes after the hapless effort against the penguins two years ago and didn't. They should have made changes after losing to the Sens and Erik Karlsson's broken foot. The goal isn't to make the playoffs. The goal is the win the cup. This group peaked years ago - time to stop holding on to that and move on.

I agree in part. I don't want to see a push for a likely first-round exit (especially if they buy to accomplish it). But that's not actually the worst end to this season. Buying only to just miss and ending up with a shitty mid-round pick as compensation on top of not getting picks for Nash and Grabner is far and away the worst scenario imaginable.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

My point of view: with what the rangers' currently own as far as talent and contracts, if they don't have two 1st round picks in July, a mistake was made.

This isn't NCAA basketball. You shouldn't be happy just to be in the tournament. If the Rangers bow out in the first round this season, it'll be three years in a row where no progress was made. Three years in a row where basically the same thing has happened. Then what next year? 8th place again? 1st round exit? The year after that? 1st round exit? What's the point? How many years is too many before you say, okay, let's rethink this because replacing the pieces on a shitty engine just to keep is running isn't working.

They should have made changes after the hapless effort against the penguins two years ago and didn't. They should have made changes after lose to the Sens and Erik Karlsson's broken foot. The goal isn't to make the playoffs. The goal is the win the cup. This group peaked years ago - time to stop holding on to that and move on.

Well said. Rep when I'm at the laptop later.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They should have made changes after the hapless effort against the penguins two years ago and didn't. They should have made changes after losing to the Sens and Erik Karlsson's broken foot. The goal isn't to make the playoffs. The goal is the win the cup. This group peaked years ago - time to stop holding on to that and move on.

31, Phil, et al. Love reading your hockey opinions, but must at least go on record and take issue with you guys on this.

Not looking to start a long debate, but the counter point should be made. I'll start by saying this isn't NBA basketball either, where only 2-3 teams have a legit shot at the ship.

In the NBA, Lebron touches the ball almost every single time down the court for 40 minutes a game. Top 3 talent trumps all in pro hoops. Know how often McJesus touches the puck each game? I think it is barely over a minute.

Hockey is the ultimate team game. If it wasn't for special teams, OT and the end game, many teams would have 12 forwards getting almost equal ice time. Add 6 D and the way different teams utilize dmen differently and you have possibilities for different outcomes.

Want to know what else is different that nullifies the NCAA analogy. The wide disparity of talent from guys who I could score against to guys who will give NBA stars trouble.

And how about basketball itself. Goaltending goes from critical in hockey versus illegal in hoops. There is no taking 35 shots and hoping 3 go in. There is no puck luck, dirty goals and game winners that happen cause a lumberjack is blocking the vision of the guy with 80lbs of equipment. Worse, no game winners due to a goal that went off someone's skate. Among a million other things.

Additionally, the speed, physicality, live line changes, ice skates, penalties, breakaways, goalies, parity, all add more randomness to the outcome of games.

I had this argument with a guy who used to mod here. Too many 7 & 8 seeds make it to the Finals to say lower seeds are 1st round outs.

Also I will point to the older days when there was more dominant teams and less parity. When 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs Even then, some sub 500 teams advanced far or to the finals. How about that 79/80 Ranger team that beat the dominant Isle team to go to the Finals. Frankly,, almost every year the Isles were dominant, us Ranger fans felt we could beat them and most of those playoff series seemed to go to the wire. There were also the Flyers who were often obviously better during the regular season, but come playoffs they feared us. We had a couple of nice upsets and we didn't think they were miracles.

Even last year... we were better than you guys think. Better than Ottawa, but we lost. Guys slump and get streaky easier in hockey. Miller, Kreids and a bunch of other important forwards disapeared and we still should have advanced. AV doesn't send out Staal and Holden in key last minute situations and the outcome could be different. Our 4th line (Grabs, Oscar, Fast) lifted us past the Habs and almost did it again with the Sens. A little better coaching and we are playing Pitt again, for the ECF.

So, even though I do not think we are as good or healthy as last year, I'd rather make the playoffs than not. I may not like our chances. I may not be optimistic if Tampa is still steamrolling and we draw them first. Barring that, we won't be some joke first round super underdog. Unlike hoops, the last team to win the President's and the Cup was.... ?

So Phil, I'm with you about the first rounders. But I'm afraid unless we sink some in the standings, we aren't moving UFAs for picks. And you and 31 will likely be right. Only 1 team wins the Cup. Of course you will be right.

Archived