• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Spiking electric bills

I had suspected something was up with my (and other friends I have talked to) electric bill. Got the bill yesterday for $330

we haven't had the heat on in over two months, yet the last bills were $275, $285, AND NOW $330

We have energy efficient washers and dryers, electric stove tops and, while we aren't super conservationists, we do a good enough job of keeping unneeded lights and other electronics off

has anyone else noticed an insane spike in their utility bills? It's ridiculous and there is no explanation.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer today said he will urge federal regulators to investigate the "mind-boggling'' increase in New York state electric rates this winter to see whether they resulted from price gouging or market manipulation.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/04/schumer_seeks_federal_probe_of_spiking_new_york_electric_bills.html

If there's some fishiness going on I want to be reimbursed because this is insane.

I looked at my usage graphs that they let you see on their site, and my usage has been going down but the bill has been going up.

edit: It shows a huge spike in my gas usages over the last 4 months, which isn't possible because the heat has been off. Even so, the usage has gone down (albeit, not far enough based of what we've actually done) but its still going up

bunch of fucking scammers

Water company wants to replace my meter. Not sure I want to let them.

DO NOT LET THEM! I made that mistake, they just came and did it. Water spiked from around $80 every 3 months to a high of $180....Just got my bill today and it was $137. The last 2-3 bills it has gone down so Im thinking they did some adjustments.

DO NOT LET THEM! I made that mistake, they just came and did it. Water spiked from around $80 every 3 months to a high of $180....Just got my bill today and it was $137. The last 2-3 bills it has gone down so Im thinking they did some adjustments.

Am I allowed to refuse?

Am I allowed to refuse?

I believe so, just prolong it as long as possible....they're gonna tell you this is the way every household has their water meter checked, etc......but seriously how accurate can a digital reading can be compared to someone coming to check the water meter? Tell them you'd rather have someone come and check the meter.

I believe so, just prolong it as long as possible....they're gonna tell you this is the way every household has their water meter checked, etc......but seriously how accurate can a digital reading can be compared to someone coming to check the water meter? Tell them you'd rather have someone come and check the meter.

The letter they sent said it was maintenance or something. I'll find and and let you know exact verbiage.

I leveled off and agreed to a standard monthly bill based on two years' worth of averages to avoid this. Over the summer I had my bills spike like crazy. Had a $380 bill last July, for example.

See I have 2 bills that vary. Gas is around $225-$250 in the winter, electricity is about $90. They reverse in the summer, so I'm good to go.

See I have 2 bills that vary. Gas is around $225-$250 in the winter, electricity is about $90. They reverse in the summer, so I'm good to go.

The way I sweat, it was worth it for the summer alone, especially because I need the AC's running full-time to keep the aquarium climatized as well.

I have my electric down to $118 a month, averaged.

I leveled off and agreed to a standard monthly bill based on two years' worth of averages to avoid this. Over the summer I had my bills spike like crazy. Had a $380 bill last July, for example.

I wish I could do that. The only type of deal like that is where they average the usage for 3 months and than I think you pay that for 3 months and so on. Regardless, I'd still be paying out the ass.

I've found all the charts and my usage has gone down across the board but the price is skyrocketing. I'm going to call and complain

When I lived in the backwoods I was paying close to $600/month. That was with Geo-thermal.

They need to stop with the wind and solar bullshit and just build more nukes. It's a no-brainer IMO.

Nah, if we finally had good solar technology, that energy would be cheaper than nuclear.

In long term anyway.

Change your supplier. The distribution has to be Con Ed or for me Central Hudson. But the supply of the energy itself you are free to choose. Hence this website which is part of NY.gov. Enter your zip code, and the chart gives you a list of all of the possible deals you can get on your energy supply. For me, the best is Green Mountain Energy. I can lock in for 6 months at .0799 /kwh plus it's 100 % wind energy. For you guys, the options might be different.

http://www.newyorkpowertochoose.com/ptc_find.cfm?CFID=910537&CFTOKEN=76707008

Archived