• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pet Insurance

quick release

Anyone have experiences (good or bad) with pet insurance? Or a vet discount company like petassure.com?

My dog is a 5 year old boxer and has developed an epulis (benign oral ulcer) on his gum. At some point, it will need to be removed, and I know this might be pricey. I'm trying to figure out how to get this covered by insurance. Would this be a "pre-existing condition"? What's preventing me from getting insurance for a month, getting covered for the surgery, then ditching the insurance after?

I have pet insurance, I use VPI and have used it since my I got my dogs as puppies. It works pretty good, and is based on the age of the dog. It goes up a little every year, I pay a little I've 40 a month, and they do cover a lot. I pay my vet bill in full, then I submit the bill and get back a certain percent. Sometimes I get nothing back, and sometimes I get a good amount. When you get it, you have to see what add on packages they have as well. I don't think it matters on pre-existing conditions. My dog had a hernia as a puppy and they still covered his surgery, we just never told them about it. I don't think they contact the vet because we have to submit everything, not the vet and I don't think they ever asked us for our vets name.

Also, looking into "Pet Assure".

3000 vets honor the membership and basically you just get 25% off everything at the office. The whole bill including surgeries, shots, anything. You dont even have to make a claim. And if you dont like it after 45 days you get a full refund. Plus it only costs 10 dollars a month (for my one dog anyways).

• $0 Deductible

• Instant activation - no waiting period

• No Exclusions, denials or claim forms

• Pre-existing conditions welcome

• EXTRA Savings! Receive 5% - 50% off on pet products at select online merchants

• FREE Lost Pet Service! Receive a collar tag and register all your emergency contacts in our system. If your dog gets lost and the number is called, operators will contact you 24/7/365.

Nice. I like that.

Also, looking into "Pet Assure".

3000 vets honor the membership and basically you just get 25% off everything at the office. The whole bill including surgeries, shots, anything. You dont even have to make a claim. And if you dont like it after 45 days you get a full refund. Plus it only costs 10 dollars a month (for my one dog anyways).

Nice. I like that.

There has to be a catch. Otherwise, I'd look into it for sure.

There has to be a catch. Otherwise, I'd look into it for sure.

Nope. I can't find one. I mean it's only 25% of the bill, which isn't all that much. I'm sure they make out in the end. Also, the signup fee is only 10 dollars!

2 things to note though.

1.) You're very limited to the vet offices that cooperate with Pet Assure. I just called the only place near me and they seem a little bit on the pricey side to begin with.

2.) They cover "professional services" only. This means everything and anything with the exception of anything you would bring home.. I assume this being drugs and stuff, although theres a major discount through their approved vendors. Haven't looked into that much though.

Definitely going to try this out when I take him in for surgery.

My wife's bro is a vet, when we got Oliver (Bulldog, which is known that the breed has MANY health problems), he said its not really worth it to have pet insurance. He said basically put X amount of dollars per paycheck in some sort of account and use that for when your pet needs to go to the vet.

Archived