• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mac Problems

quick release

I'm looking for some kind of Apple wizard because I'm really stumped here. I have an old Power PC G4 Mirrored Drive Doors. My brother forgot the password to it so theres no way to install ANYTHING including flash or even open up terminal. So, I found instructions on how to reset the password. It involved booting straight into Terminal (apples + s) but that wont work! Granted, I am using a PC keyboard but I've tried Windows+S, Alt+s, etc, and I cant get the thing to boot into Terminal.

The other option is a fresh install but there is no install CD. This machine will take anything up to Leopard, but those osx versions go for 100 dollars on ebay. I dont have 100 dollars to throw at this machine.

Anyone have any ideas before I chuck this thing out the window?

Google it. Any time my wife has a problem with her lap top she researches it. The answer may not be on the first page. Sometimes finding a forum that discusses that certain topic helps a great deal.

If that fails, sell it on ebay for parts or repair.

Tiger. It can run Leopard or below so 10-10.5

I guess I can also use the install cd to boot it into terminal or something? But I dont even know whether to look (on ebay) for a tiger disc or a g4 disc or does it have to be specifically g4 powermac (vs powerbook) or specifically g4 powermac mdd edition? I'm so damn confused. And do I need the install cd or the restore cd? Blahhhhhhhrrr.

I'm looking for some kind of Apple wizard because I'm really stumped here. I have an old Power PC G4 Mirrored Drive Doors. My brother forgot the password to it so theres no way to install ANYTHING including flash or even open up terminal. So, I found instructions on how to reset the password. It involved booting straight into Terminal (apples + s) but that wont work! Granted, I am using a PC keyboard but I've tried Windows+S, Alt+s, etc, and I cant get the thing to boot into Terminal.

The other option is a fresh install but there is no install CD. This machine will take anything up to Leopard, but those osx versions go for 100 dollars on ebay. I dont have 100 dollars to throw at this machine.

Anyone have any ideas before I chuck this thing out the window?

I actually have a ton of old install discs you could use to boot/install from. PM me your address and let me know what version you are looking for and I'll mail it out on Tuesday.

You don't need a specialized CD, though I would be sending you G4 [Quicksilver model] discs anyway.

I actually have a ton of old install discs you could use to boot/install from. PM me your address and let me know what version you are looking for and I'll mail it out on Tuesday.

!!!!!!!!!!

Well thats the thing. I'm not sure what disc I need. No clue. Would it be a Tiger disc because it's running tiger now? Or would it be an original install disc for the machine (Power Mac G4 MDD). I'm sure it came loaded with either Panther or something

You should be able to use any of these discs to do a clean install on the drive to overwrite the previous system.

Worst case scenario, if the data on the machine isn't important to you, boot from the disc and run Disk Utility to zero out the data on the drive, then do a clean install.

Archived