• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Wild to Buy Out Zach Parise, Ryan Suter

Phil

According to sources, Wild general manager Bill Guerin called both Parise and Suter to inform each of them that the team is buying out the remaining four years of each of their contracts.

They will each be put on waivers today at 11 a.m. CT and can become free agents.

The Wild will pay each $6.7 million over the next eight years and be charged with $2.371 million, $6.371 million and $7.371 million cap hits in the next four years, respectively, for each, then $833,333 cap hits the four years after that for each.

This gives the Wild another $10.33 million in cap space to play with this summer.

https://theathletic.com/2704643/2021/07/13/wild-buying-out-zach-parise-and-ryan-suter-sources/

Damn, I remember like it was just yesterday when both of them signed those monster contracts. Time flies...

I'm sure both of them still have some gas in the tank and will be useful contributors to a contending team.

Parise, the all-time leading goal scorer among Minnesotans in NHL history, hung up and immediately called his longtime comrade in arms, Suter, to inform his 2012 free-agent tag-team partner and fellow nine-year alternate captain that the Wild were buying out the final four years of his contract.

Suter tried to lift Parise’s spirits. He even told him that funny enough he himself had a missed call from Guerin.

That’s when Guerin suddenly called again. The veteran defenseman answered and was blindsided with the exact same news that he, too, was being bought out of the final four years of his contract.

That call with Guerin wasn’t as lengthy … or as friendly.

Suter, never, ever envisioning that the Wild would actually buy out both contracts at the same time, hung up on the GM.

“These calls are not fun to make,” Guerin said a few hours later at a news conference. “In this position, the chair I’m sitting in, you have to do difficult things.”

https://theathletic.com/2705545/2021/07/13/wilds-stunning-zach-parise-and-ryan-suter-buyouts-could-create-salary-cap-repercussions-for-years/?source=emp_shared_article

--

This is — all pun intended — wild.

You know what, fuck those guys. They were part of the group that ruined the NHL with these stupid contracts

Its not all in them. Its was also the management’s fault for giving those contracts out. Especially for players who only wanted to play for Minny. Sounds familiar?

I mean, are you gonna blame players for taking a lot of money to play sports? blame management for offering the contracts. blame owners for greenlighting the spending. Players have short careers overall. I wouldn't ever blame a player for signing the big ticket when they get offered it.

If someone called me tomorrow and said "hey, I'll pay you 10 times more to do your exact same job, the contract is basically inescapable and lasts 13 years and if I decide I'm done with you you'll get 2/3 the remaining value of the contract over double the time", I'd fucking sign that contract too.

If someone called me tomorrow and said "hey, I'll pay you 10 times more to do your exact same job, the contract is basically inescapable and lasts 13 years and if I decide I'm done with you you'll get 2/3 the remaining value of the contract over double the time", I'd fucking sign that contract too.

but what if the company can't afford new printers because of your salary!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I mean, are you gonna blame players for taking a lot of money to play sports? blame management for offering the contracts. blame owners for greenlighting the spending. Players have short careers overall. I wouldn't ever blame a player for signing the big ticket when they get offered it.

This.

To be fair-players/agents ask for that kind of money and probably ask for even more.

I'm certainly not going to feel bad for them when they get bought out.

Nor should you. They made tons of money, entertained millions, made whole communities better - they're fine and parts of Minnesota are probably better for the investment made.

But they were paid what the market would bear for a very niche, unique skillset required for a very specific competition entertainment product.