• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

‘Sure Sounds Like’ Oliver Ekman-Larsson Will Be Traded

Phil

Ekman-Larsson, who has trade protection, made clear last offseason he only wanted to be moved to the Boston Bruins or Vancouver Canucks. Nothing came to pass and he stayed in the desert.

This time around, SportsNet’s Elliotte Friedman thinks he’d be willing to entertain more options and that a deal will happen.

“It sure sounds like (a trade will happen),” Friedman said in his “31 Thoughts” podcast. “Now, don’t forget his contract, (five) years left at $8.25 million (annually). There’s a $5.25 million bonus, not this summer but next summer, that complicates things. But I do believe that we will see a deal happen.

“Look, last year he gave two teams: Boston or Vancouver. This year, from what I understand, there was a conversation between Ekman-Larsson and the team where everybody said we have to make this work. I think they financially they’re gonna strip it down, but I think he also recognizes he needs a change. And I will say this: there are some teams out there who I’ve spoken to who said they think he’s gotten a bit still there and they would be very curious to see how he would be in a new environment.

“It’s complicated because of the contract — I think I said he’s got six years left, he’s got five — but that’s one of the things here is there’s a willingness on everybody’s side to make it happen and what they’re going to do is the Coyotes have the permission to shop the deal and then go to Ekman-Larsson, who’s got a no-move clause, and say ‘OK how do you feel about this?’ And I think he’s going to be open to more scenarios. So, I think it’s gonna happen.”

https://nesn.com/2021/06/oliver-ekman-larsson-rumors-sure-sounds-like-coyotes-captain-will-be-traded/

They really, really missed the train on dealing him when his value was never higher. Boston and Vancouver were ready to deal major futures for a player many at the time were warning not to give eight years to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has there been a more over-rated, under performing player of this generation?

Drew Doughty. Maybe Seth Jones. Might have said Hedman a few years ago, too.

Drew Doughty. Maybe Seth Jones. Might have said Hedman a few years ago, too.

I dunno. I heard a lot of "Next Lidstrom, would be a Norris candidate every year if he didn't play for Arizona".

Turns out he's just a decent defenseman.

Agreed. Doughty is a legit candidate, though. He was the next big thing. He hit a wall basically right as he signed that awful extension. Just like OEL.