• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tom Kurvers Dies at 58 After Battle with Lung Cancer

Ozzy

Tom Kurvers, assistant general manager of the Minnesota Wild who played 11 NHL seasons as a defenseman, died Monday. He was 58.

"The Minnesota Wild organization is heartbroken to announce that Tom Kurvers passed away this morning after a courageous battle with lung cancer," the Wild said in a statement. "We extend our deepest sympathies and prayers to Tom's family and loved ones, including his wife, Heather, daughters Madison and Rose, and sons Weston and Roman."

Kurvers was diagnosed with lung cancer in January 2019 despite not being a smoker.

Kurvers had been Wild assistant GM since July 17, 2018. He ran in the 10K A Breath of Hope Lung Run/Walk Twin Cities in 2019 and worked with the A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation to help raise lung cancer awareness and provide patient and family support and fund research since his diagnosis. The run raised more than $100,000.

--

https://www.nhl.com/news/minnesota-wild-assistant-general-manager-tom-kurvers-dies-at-58/c-325412304

As in its not cruel world when a smoker dies of lung cancer?

No still cruel, but my father died of it. Ensophangeal to be more specific. We begged him for years to quit. Was just a rough way to go out and died at 56 while I was in the academy and my little sister was 21. As much as it’s sad, it’s even sadder to think he caused his own destruction (potentially)

• Like 1

No still cruel, but my father died of it. Ensophangeal to be more specific. We begged him for years to quit. Was just a rough way to go out and died at 56 while I was in the academy and my little sister was 21. As much as it’s sad, it’s even sadder to think he caused his own destruction (potentially)

my father smoked like a chimney all his life but died of heart failure (not that i think smoking didnt not contribute to it). At death his lungs were clean like a whistle, doctors said.

30 years ago and earlier almost everyone smoked. Interesting to know how many died of lung cancer or throat cancer directly related to smoking

I smoke, and it's obviously not healthy, not that it doesn't have its benefits, because it does. Nicotine is a very useful drug. Ultimately, I don't like being a slave to it, and I understand the health repercussions. Even if I don't die from it, directly, it's likely to degrade my later years, and age me quicker as far as physical stuff goes. My Grandpa is 92 and smoked two packs a day for *checks notes* 70 years. No cancer. Heart issues, though.

Ultimately, I think it's largely down to genetics for the Big C.

What I don't like, is people that average 20-25 drinks/week poo pooing me for smoking. That's fuckin hilarious. I don't really drink, certainly not on a weekly, or even monthly, basis. Some how, the Ad Man has convinced society that drinking is fuckin awesome, while smoking is instant death.

As in its not cruel world when a smoker dies of lung cancer?

of course it's a terrible way to go either way, any and every cancer is. Before you take it any further I have lost more relatives than I can count to cancers in my family. Including my uncle at 55 who was my absolute best friend who was a non-smoker to small cell lung cancer which is why I said what I said. The odds of a non-smoker getting SCLC are extremely low. His last 3+ years were insanely painful.

I smoke, and it's obviously not healthy, not that it doesn't have its benefits, because it does. Nicotine is a very useful drug. Ultimately, I don't like being a slave to it, and I understand the health repercussions. Even if I don't die from it, directly, it's likely to degrade my later years, and age me quicker as far as physical stuff goes. My Grandpa is 92 and smoked two packs a day for *checks notes* 70 years. No cancer. Heart issues, though.

Ultimately, I think it's largely down to genetics for the Big C.

What I don't like, is people that average 20-25 drinks/week poo pooing me for smoking. That's fuckin hilarious. I don't really drink, certainly not on a weekly, or even monthly, basis. Some how, the Ad Man has convinced society that drinking is fuckin awesome, while smoking is instant death.

i never realized how much smoking was controlling my life until i quit 3 years ago. When you're a smoker all you do is think about your next cigarette. it's incredible how tight the grip is.