• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is it Finally Time to Wonder About McDavid’s Future in Edmonton?

The following is from an article in October of 2019:

Elliotte Friedman appeared on Sportsnet 590 in Toronto on Friday morning to talk about an array of topics around the NHL, including Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers. In Friedman’s opinion, general manager Ken Holland has two years to show the superstar that things are heading in the right direction.

A quote from Elliotte Friedman in the article:

I think the answer is no, he’s not patient. But he’s also willing to be convinced. I think they’ve got two years to show him they’re going in the right direction. This year and next year.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/10/04/friedman-i-think-theyve-got-two-years-to-show-mcdavid-theyre-going-in-the-right-direction/

So, according to that timeline, if/when Winnipeg finishes off the Oilers, that two year window will be up. And all Edmonton has to show for it is a Qualifying Round loss in the bubble last season and a potential sweep (currently 3-3 in the 3rd period of Game 4) this season. Not much progress, you have to say.

We’ve heard the murmurs on Eichel become full blown screams for help. He is fed up with the losing in Buffalo, a place where they’ve been stuck in the mud for what seems like eternity. While Edmonton has shown promise, and McDavid has a legitimate superstar running mate with him, it just seems that the Oilers can’t take that next step. A team that has the best player in the sport alongside arguably a Top-3 or 4 player who has won an MVP in the last 2 seasons should expect more results, and you have to wonder if all of the losing is beginning to catch up to McDavid.

Now, it’s not as if Father Time is catching up with him. He’s still young, healthy and has his best hockey ahead of him, which is a terrifying thought. My question is this: is it finally time to start spinning the rumor mill about whether or not that hockey will be played in Edmonton or not?

Probably this. I would still give a pretty penny for Drai.

And that's the whole reason why they probably wouldn't trade McDavid. They'll get just as much for Draisatl, and they get to keep the face of the franchise, and the best player in the NHL.

And that's the whole reason why they probably wouldn't trade McDavid. They'll get just as much for Draisatl, and they get to keep the face of the franchise, and the best player in the NHL.

Is it sacreligious to say I'd maybe even rather have Drai at 8.5 for 4 more years than McDavid at 12.5 for 5 more years? McDavid's worth the 12.5 no question, but Drai might be on one of the best contracts in the NHL.

I cannot imagine how he feels having the best statistical season in literally a generation, putting up strong playoff numbers, and getting swept by a team they flat-out dominated in the RS that has "no defense".

It doesn't matter that the games were close. Lost them all.

Their is no way in hell they trade McJesus. They'd trade Draisatl before McDavid.

Not a matter of what the organization may want; it’s a matter of where McDavid is at and if he feels he wants to move on.

Obviously, they hold all the calls. But I wonder if he wants out.

I cannot imagine how he feels having the best statistical season in literally a generation, putting up strong playoff numbers, and getting swept by a team they flat-out dominated in the RS that has "no defense".

It doesn't matter that the games were close. Lost them all.

It's got to sting big time especially considering that 3 of the games went to OT and as the offensive leader he probably puts it on himself to get that critical goal or play. Unfortunately for them Smith couldn't make the key save when needed and Hellebuyck did. Not to mention the offensive depth of the Jets made the difference. While the Oilers firepower who relied so much on all the powerplay opportunities of the regular season, didn't have that same luxury in the playoffs.

I think McDavid is a nice to have that doesn't solve our existing problems, and the players it would take to get him probably would probably take us out of the running to trade for anyone who could solve our existing problems.

Would it be awesome to have the best player in the world on our team? Of course. But if we wind up looking the Oilers for it, does it matter?

I think McDavid is a nice to have that doesn't solve our existing problems, and the players it would take to get him probably would probably take us out of the running to trade for anyone who could solve our existing problems.

Would it be awesome to have the best player in the world on our team? Of course. But if we wind up looking the Oilers for it, does it matter?

we can always sign players. Edmonton cant sign shit

When teams suffer a playoff flame out, there is always talk of the world coming to an end. Sometimes it presages long term futility, like Toronto. Sometimes they win the cup the next year, like Boston, Washington and Tampa. Sure, Edmonton's roster sucks after about six players, but if they can add two or three good ones, those four close playoff losses become wins and they are a contender.