• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan O'Reilly

Phil

Both Tkachucks are impossible players to replace. I wouldn't trade either if I was their GM unless it was a drastic overpay. To think some people were saying they were no talent third liners in their draft years.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking around for a bit... I wonder if Morgan Barron could be that guy.

There’s something I don’t like about Barron, and I don’t see him as a C at the NHL level. But, I don’t like ROR. I don’t like Couturier. It took me along time to come around on Bergeron. I actually didn’t like Messier that much.

These are the types of players I hate playing against. Big, play bigger, take up space, sound defensively, they’ll hit you, and they’ll net some goals. And then knowing none were that fast was even more irritating. I couldn’t skate through these types of players, and maybe that’s it.

Barron has the size. He’s been touted as an all around player with the ability to play great defensively. His college coach and Knoblauch both praised that part of his game. He didn’t play C in college, but the coach said he could. He moved there in the AHL, and although I didn’t see much, he seemed to get noticed even more. He played some physical hockey when he came up, wasn’t shy, and wore a letter during college, so we know he can be a leader

He might not have the high end pedigree that the other players I mentioned have, but if we are looking for the next ROR, maybe he’s here already.

That's fine. If were talking about trading Kravtsov, Lundkvist, etc then a 23 year old with snarl is what I'm after. Also his numbers have regressed a little after having an outstanding final year of his ELC. He hasn't earned a huge raise. It'd probably be in his best interest to sign a 3 year deal, see if he can get back to a point per game pace, and cash in when the cap goes up again.

He’s costing you Kakko.

As is Eichel.

Or any other young and gifted forward with size and grit and snarl.

If Drury can trade for either without dealing Kakko, or an untouchable, ok, I’ll listen.

Or you can just wait and take the chance that Kakko blossoms

There’s something I don’t like about Barron, and I don’t see him as a C at the NHL level. But, I don’t like ROR. I don’t like Couturier. It took me along time to come around on Bergeron. I actually didn’t like Messier that much.

These are the types of players I hate playing against. Big, play bigger, take up space, sound defensively, they’ll hit you, and they’ll net some goals. And then knowing none were that fast was even more irritating. I couldn’t skate through these types of players, and maybe that’s it.

Barron has the size. He’s been touted as an all around player with the ability to play great defensively. His college coach and Knoblauch both praised that part of his game. He didn’t play C in college, but the coach said he could. He moved there in the AHL, and although I didn’t see much, he seemed to get noticed even more. He played some physical hockey when he came up, wasn’t shy, and wore a letter during college, so we know he can be a leader

He might not have the high end pedigree that the other players I mentioned have, but if we are looking for the next ROR, maybe he’s here already.

I'd love to see Barron at 4C next season.

He did play a lot of center in college in his first couple seasons and was actually great on faceoffs. I would be surprised if he ended up playing an overly tough or physical brand of hockey though. I don't think he's that player. He'll be as tough and physical as Brian Boyle was.

Boyle was a #11 overall.

Barron was a #147 overall.

I bring that up because you might have an easier time convincing Barron his only path to the NHL is by using his frame. It's already started.

https://theathletic.com/2556508/2021/04/30/morgan-barrons-recall-should-provide-a-glimpse-into-his-rangers-future-but-it-wont-solve-all-their-problems?source=user-shared-article

--

“I think, with my size, I can go out there and be somebody who can get up and down the ice and be trusted on both sides of the puck and bring a little bit of physicality,” said Barron, 22, who is 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, and combines skill and skating with that frame.

“I know that, talking with some of the staff and management here that was something I really wanted to work on in Hartford was being hard to play against and get into the hard areas in the corners and in front of the net and such. I’ll make sure of that, and just playing with confidence and going out and trying to create as much on the offensive side without giving up things on the defensive side.”

--

“I call him a throwback,” Schafer said. “As a kid, he’ll do anything, as a coach, that you’ll ask. He’s a coach’s dream. What I mean by that is he wants constructive things. He wants to work on things as a player. He’s very cerebral. But what I mean by a throwback is he’s not distracted by all the noise. He’s not distracted by wanting to get to that next level. He just stays in the present, works hard with his teammates, works hard at his game. He’ll block shots in practice and not think anything of it. He’s a coach’s dream. That kind of leadership, that drops down to everybody else. Other guys are looking at, when one of the better players on your team has that kind of mentality it’s infectious. He’s humble, he works hard, he’s a gamer, a good teammate. I think that’s what makes him an outstanding prospect.”

• Like 1

I'd love to see Barron at 4C next season.

Boyle was a #11 overall.

I bring that up because you might have an easier time convincing Barron his only path to the NHL is by using his frame. It's already started.

https://theathletic.com/2556508/2021/04/30/morgan-barrons-recall-should-provide-a-glimpse-into-his-rangers-future-but-it-wont-solve-all-their-problems?source=user-shared-article

--

“I think, with my size, I can go out there and be somebody who can get up and down the ice and be trusted on both sides of the puck and bring a little bit of physicality,” said Barron, 22, who is 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, and combines skill and skating with that frame.

“I know that, talking with some of the staff and management here that was something I really wanted to work on in Hartford was being hard to play against and get into the hard areas in the corners and in front of the net and such. I’ll make sure of that, and just playing with confidence and going out and trying to create as much on the offensive side without giving up things on the defensive side.”

--

“I call him a throwback,” Schafer said. “As a kid, he’ll do anything, as a coach, that you’ll ask. He’s a coach’s dream. What I mean by that is he wants constructive things. He wants to work on things as a player. He’s very cerebral. But what I mean by a throwback is he’s not distracted by all the noise. He’s not distracted by wanting to get to that next level. He just stays in the present, works hard with his teammates, works hard at his game. He’ll block shots in practice and not think anything of it. He’s a coach’s dream. That kind of leadership, that drops down to everybody else. Other guys are looking at, when one of the better players on your team has that kind of mentality it’s infectious. He’s humble, he works hard, he’s a gamer, a good teammate. I think that’s what makes him an outstanding prospect.”

I absolutely WANT Barron to be THAT GUY, fellas. I liked his game in the few that he's played. I'd like to have that 4C locked up by him, and if we can get a Getzlaf/O'Reilly "type" for that 3C spot, we may very well be closer to "contender" status.

Boyle was a #11 overall.

--

--

Sounds like someone we're all going to love going forward.

I tell you what though. They weirdly moved on from Pietrangelo last summer in favor of Krug. They are getting rolled over by the Avs. If they get swept out of the first, there may be a prayer here. Maybe they look to remain competitive while gaining promising young talent too...

Strome and Z. Jones for O'Reilly?

Typing up a response in the offseason thread about the possibility of moving Zibanejad instead of Strome (age, contract cost, trade value, injury history). A Zibanejad/O'Reilly swap might be interesting. I think I'd want more though.
I love Zib, but I agree.

Can't see why STL does that after getting manandled.....

I love Zib, but I agree.

Can't see why STL does that after getting manandled.....

I haven't watched the series to know if they are getting manhandled physically, or if they just lack the talent and skill to match up with the Avs. I agree with you if they are getting physically manhandled it wouldn't make sense. But if it's a talent matchup thing, they might be really interested.

Why would we be interested in Zib for O’Reilley?

We’d go from 1.1 pts per game last three years to someone who’s two years younger and less productive.

We need to get tougher, but that’s not the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Leadership, playoff experience, proven winner, elite faceoff man, Selke winning defender, no concussion concerns. All things Zibanejad doesn't really provide. All things the Rangers are missing in spades. Zibanejad puts up maybe 10-15 more points? Hard to say. From a quick glance, it looked like mostly just a PP point difference over the last few years. What else does Zib do that ROR doesn't besides that?

Leadership, playoff experience, proven winner, elite faceoff man, Selke winning defender, no concussion concerns. All things Zibanejad doesn't really provide. All things the Rangers are missing in spades. Zibanejad puts up maybe 10-15 more points? Hard to say. From a quick glance, it looked like mostly just a PP point difference over the last few years. What else does Zib do that ROR doesn't besides that?

Quick glance Zib scored 29 more goals than ROR in 14 less games in 19/20. Career Zib has plated 256 less games and is 19 goals behind ROR. Zib has become an elite goal scorer over the last 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quick glance Zib scored 29 more goals than ROR in 14 less games in 19/20. Career Zib has plated 256 less games and is 19 goals behind ROR. Zib has become an elite goal scorer over the last 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

And RoR has one more cup and how many more playoff wins?

I love me some Mika, but there is no debate that ROR would be better for this team.

And RoR has one more cup and how many more playoff wins?

I love me some Mika, but there is no debate that ROR would be better for this team.

Sure, but that wasn't the question. Its something Zib does that ROR doesn't.

In a perfect world I'd like a 1-2 punch of Panarin/Zib - Laf with a ROR/Couturier type center.