Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Will Not Release Lafreniere to Hockey Canada for WJC

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend

Rangers Will Not Release Lafreniere to Hockey Canada for WJC

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    The NHL simply does not care about international hockey.

Senior Member Midget Division
    NYR taking a huge beating on Twitter right now. I'd like to see him play as much as the next guy, but pandemic got me thinking - "Stay home bud and stay well."

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    The NHL simply does not care about international hockey.
    In this case, why should they? If there was a season in progress he wouldn't have went. The Rangers are protecting their investment. He had a shoulder injury in the last tournament didn't he?

It's in every case. The highest level of professional hockey doesn't care about the international game, and it's shameful. It didn't use to be this way.

The injury argument is pretty lame, and it never flies in soccer, don't know why it would in hockey.

Instead, their idea to grow the game is to design 11 different jerseys and sell them to man-children.

It would be very Rangers to hold their most marketable player out of any hockey, have the season canceled, and then pay Marc Staal and Henrik Lundqvist for four more years.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    It would be very Rangers to hold their most marketable player out of any hockey, have the season canceled, and then pay Marc Staal and Henrik Lundqvist for four more years.
    It would also be very rangers fan to push for Laf to go to an international tournament, blow out his knee and never be the same, and then whine about it.

Senior Member Midget Division
    The injury argument is pretty lame, and it never flies in soccer, don't know why it would in hockey.
    While soccer is intensely physical at times, hockey has that component on every shift so the Ďpotentialí for injury is greater, I think. Iím troubled when my soccer players go play international games when weíre in the middle of playoffs. Disparage MLS all you want but itís something I pay into as a fan to support and I want my guys winning here, now.

I agree that the NHL does look far past USA/Canada borders to grow the game and they should model the NBA and NFL to a greater degree. Theyíve been heading there but not enough.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Good call. Olympics are different. He isnt a Junior Player anymore; suck it up and be a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    While soccer is intensely physical at times, hockey has that component on every shift so the ‘potential’ for injury is greater, I think. I’m troubled when my soccer players go play international games when we’re in the middle of playoffs. Disparage MLS all you want but it’s something I pay into as a fan to support and I want my guys winning here, now.

I agree that the NHL does look far past USA/Canada borders to grow the game and they should model the NBA and NFL to a greater degree. They’ve been heading there but not enough.
    I don't think MLS honors international dates, do they? I don't remember exactly what it is, but they do it differently.

I don't care about the playing for Canada angle, I see this as a bi-product of the leagues disregard for the International game in general. There is no high level competition to determine a world champion in the game of hockey. That's crazy, to me.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I don't think MLS honors international dates, do they? I don't remember exactly what it is, but they do it differently.

I don't care about the playing for Canada angle, I see this as a bi-product of the leagues disregard for the International game in general. There is no high level competition to determine a world champion in the game of hockey. That's crazy, to me.
    What tourney do you speak of for football, baseball, basketball? Olympics should be a no brainer for participation

Senior Member Bantam Division
    He has nothing to gain by further play with juniors. He needs to be playing with the big boys. He's better off in training camp with the Rangers if it overlaps, and even if it doesn't, he shouldn't play in World Juniors.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Rangers cant market any of that, though.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    I dont think anyone with a pro contract should be playing in "junior" tournaments, honestly

And one of my criticisms of Lafreniere is that he's always hurt. He got hurt at the previous 2 tournaments, no?

#68 Яромир Ягр Junior Division
    Best news of the day. He's had 2 cracks at the WJHC. Good enough.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Junior hockey is meaningless once you are drafted and expected to land on an NHL roster. You have nothing left to prove at the level, and everything to lose by way of injury.

He can keep in hockey shape by other means.

Not playing a competitive game of hockey for 18 months should really help his development.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    WJC isn't going to help his development either.

Might as well have him play pickup at his local rink.

He could suit up for the US, they'll have a lot to play for, trying to avoid relegation and all with a 2020 draft class that rivals Estonia.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Yawn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast