• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Caps Fire Todd Rierden

Phil

The Washington Capitals fired coach Todd Reirden Sunday after two seasons of first-round playoff exits.

Reirden was the top assistant to Barry Trotz when the Capitals won their lone Stanley Cup title in 2018. Trotz left the team in a contract dispute and later joined the New York Islanders. The Capitals promoted Reirden to the head coaching job.

?We have higher expectations for our team, and we felt a fresh approach in leadership was necessary,? general manager Brian MacLellan said in a statement. ?We would like to thank Todd for all of his hard work and efforts with our organization. Todd has been a big part of our team for more than half a decade, including our Stanley Cup run in 2018, and we wish him and his family all the best moving forward.?

https://sports.yahoo.com/washington-capitals-fire-coach-todd-152433211.html

MacClellan ought to go, too. He never even countered Trotz's demand. Trotz asked for 5x5 and signed with Lou for 4x5. Bet he could have gotten him for 3.5 or less if he didn't have to move his family. But MacClellan had wanted him out in favor Reirden before winning a Cup was a thing. Leonsis was on board, who I suppose won't fire himself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think it's time for Washington management to start drafting their letter to the fans. The Rangers PR Dept. can offer advice if necessary.

What a strange history: Long history of playoff flops, followed by one cup, followed by continued history of playoff flops.

I think it's time for Washington management to start drafting their letter to the fans. The Rangers PR Dept. can offer advice if necessary.

What a strange history: Long history of playoff flops, followed by one cup, followed by continued history of playoff flops.

I had held the belief years ago that they?d never win a Cup because Ovie was a one dimensional player ? offense only. But then, he learned to play at both ends of the rink with snarl. Low and behold they won. Then it went poof. Was their Cup a magical win where guys gelled just right?

LOL Sod that they should call our PR Dept. You?re so right.

MacClellan ought to go, too. He never even countered Trotz's demand. Trotz asked for 5x5 and signed with Lou for 4x5. Bet he could have gotten him for 3.5 or less if he didn't have to move his family. But MacClellan had wanted him out in favor Reirden before winning a Cup was a thing. Leonsis was on board, who I suppose won't fire himself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah, that was my first thought. This is MacClellan's doing. He wanted his boy Reirden and fucked over his own Cup winning coach.

I would be seething if I was a Caps fan.