Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Don't Expect Amnesty Buyouts

  1. #1
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,639
    Rep Power
    538

    Don't Expect Amnesty Buyouts

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Banned Junior Division
    Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    7,225
    Rep Power
    124
    Sorry Henke, they tried. will have to ride the bench again next season. at least you drive a really nice car

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Sorry Henke, they tried. will have to ride the bench again next season. at least you drive a really nice car
    While unlikely, they still may buy him out through the conventional process.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,529
    Rep Power
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    While unlikely, they still may buy him out through the conventional process.
    I see a buyout more than ever now. They'll save 3M. Half of which will go to Georgie and the other half will help sign the others.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Sorry Henke, they tried. will have to ride the bench again next season. at least you drive a really nice car
    While unlikely, they still may buy him out through the conventional process.
    Just move Georgiev at the draft. Maybe in a package with him and one of those 1st rounders and another piece (DeAngelo?, if they’re so inclined) they can move up.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I see a buyout more than ever now. They'll save 3M. Half of which will go to Georgie and the other half will help sign the others.
    It’s possible man.
    Just not sure they want to.

  7. #7
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    14,063
    Rep Power
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I see a buyout more than ever now. They'll save 3M. Half of which will go to Georgie and the other half will help sign the others.
    And the following year get hit with a high cap hit? It’s not worth it. Ride the year out with him and then let him fully come off the books. Next summer we have a lot of guys to re-sign, we don’t need his cap hit that year.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,529
    Rep Power
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    And the following year get hit with a high cap hit? It’s not worth it. Ride the year out with him and then let him fully come off the books. Next summer we have a lot of guys to re-sign, we don’t need his cap hit that year.
    Only a 1.5M cap hit in 2021.

  9. #9
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    81,047
    Rep Power
    635
    It's been proven repeatedly, there's virtually no savings from buying out Hank.

    Almost all of the buyer will go to Georgie contract.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,529
    Rep Power
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's been proven repeatedly, there's virtually no savings from buying out Hank.

    Almost all of the buyer will go to Georgie contract.
    Nah. Georgiev won't get more than like 1.5M max, especially with the cap staying flat.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    39
    Not a huge benefit to buying him out. Roughly $1.5 million in cap savings and the ability to retain Georgiev who will likely only be here in the short term anyway.
    Likely they’d get about equal performance and productivity from Lundqvist or Georgiev in the same amount of workload in a backup role, and Hank at least gives you leadership and the peace of mind of having a veteran backup behind a young starter in Igor.

    Just keep Hank for a year.
    Move Georgiev in a package.

  12. #12
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,874
    Rep Power
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    While unlikely, they still may buy him out through the conventional process.
    They save more/gain more buying out Staal and Smith and trading Georgiev for assets.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  13. #13
    rebuilding Junior Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    5,336
    Rep Power
    119
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...layoff-rosters
    dated June 29, 2020
    '...Then there's the salary cap. Remember, the NHL's salary cap is linked to revenue. Lower revenue, lower cap. To avoid a huge decrease in the ceiling next year, the NHL and the players would artificially keep the cap at $81. 5 million for the next two seasons and then raise it $1 million to $82.5 million in 2022-23. Later in the CBA, it would be "relinked" to revenue.'

    If teams are considering empty seats and loss of revenue, but keeping the salary cap intact... can't help but wonder if that affects decisions.

    https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...-penguins-tlh/
    'It's safe to say that the 2020-21 salary cap will not be in the $84 million to $88.2 million range that NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly projected in early March.'
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  14. #14
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,529
    Rep Power
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    They save more/gain more buying out Staal and Smith and trading Georgiev for assets.
    You say trade Georgiev for assets, but if they could have gotten what he was worth to them they would have done so at the deadline. They couldn't, so they didn't. Trading him for pennies on the dollar is bad business.

    Buy out Lundqvist and Staal, effectively ending that era. Just hold onto Smith for the extra year in a 12-13F/6-7D flex role and sign Georgiev.

  15. #15
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,874
    Rep Power
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    You say trade Georgiev for assets, but if they could have gotten what he was worth to them they would have done so at the deadline. They couldn't, so they didn't. Trading him for pennies on the dollar is bad business.

    Buy out Lundqvist and Staal, effectively ending that era. Just hold onto Smith for the extra year in a 12-13F/6-7D flex role and sign Georgiev.
    Not true. Most likely trade targets are non playoff teams. Or teams like Carolina where it makes more sense to make that acquisition in the offseason. He would be a (hopeful) long term acquisition and not a deadline rental.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  16. #16
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,874
    Rep Power
    417
    And why sign Georgiev if shesterkin is the future?

    His value isn’t going up sitting on the bench!
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  17. #17
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    They save more/gain more buying out Staal and Smith and trading Georgiev for assets.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    You say trade Georgiev for assets, but if they could have gotten what he was worth to them they would have done so at the deadline. They couldn't, so they didn't. Trading him for pennies on the dollar is bad business.

    Buy out Lundqvist and Staal, effectively ending that era. Just hold onto Smith for the extra year in a 12-13F/6-7D flex role and sign Georgiev.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Not true. Most likely trade targets are non playoff teams. Or teams like Carolina where it makes more sense to make that acquisition in the offseason. He would be a (hopeful) long term acquisition and not a deadline rental.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    And why sign Georgiev if shesterkin is the future?

    His value isn’t going up sitting on the bench!
    Not in favor of any buyout. And it’s not entirely needed at this point. What makes people think it’s necessary are Strome and DeAngelo, though it’s by no means a certainty that the organization has them both in the long-term plans, both for differing reasons which have already been discussed elsewhere.

    If you buyout Staal, who replaces him?
    You’re not getting a better player than him for the cap space you’d receive. Same is probably true of Smith.
    And as for any of the young guys in the organization, they’re cheap and here already anyways. Quinn isn’t afraid of scratching guys, so no one is blocked.

    The buyout(s) isn’t really achieving much, IMO.

    It doesn’t clear a path to making a big add.
    Not sure Strome is a guy that they feel is anymore than the stopgap he was when he was brought in, even if he has great chemistry with Panarin
    Not sure they want the commitment to another RH D when they’re heavy into Trouba and going to go deep into Fox who is better.

  18. #18
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,874
    Rep Power
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Not in favor of any buyout. And itís not entirely needed at this point. What makes people think itís necessary are Strome and DeAngelo, though itís by no means a certainty that the organization has them both in the long-term plans, both for differing reasons which have already been discussed elsewhere.

    If you buyout Staal, who replaces him?
    Youíre not getting a better player than him for the cap space youíd receive. Same is probably true of Smith.
    And as for any of the young guys in the organization, theyíre cheap and here already anyways. Quinn isnít afraid of scratching guys, so no one is blocked.

    The buyout(s) isnít really achieving much, IMO.

    It doesnít clear a path to making a big add.
    Not sure Strome is a guy that they feel is anymore than the stopgap he was when he was brought in, even if he has great chemistry with Panarin
    Not sure they want the commitment to another RH D when theyíre heavy into Trouba and going to go deep into Fox who is better.
    I dont want buyouts either, but if you are going to do it, do it right.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  19. #19
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,529
    Rep Power
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Not in favor of any buyout. And it’s not entirely needed at this point. What makes people think it’s necessary are Strome and DeAngelo, though it’s by no means a certainty that the organization has them both in the long-term plans, both for differing reasons which have already been discussed elsewhere.

    If you buyout Staal, who replaces him?
    You’re not getting a better player than him for the cap space you’d receive. Same is probably true of Smith.
    And as for any of the young guys in the organization, they’re cheap and here already anyways. Quinn isn’t afraid of scratching guys, so no one is blocked.

    The buyout(s) isn’t really achieving much, IMO.

    It doesn’t clear a path to making a big add.
    Not sure Strome is a guy that they feel is anymore than the stopgap he was when he was brought in, even if he has great chemistry with Panarin
    Not sure they want the commitment to another RH D when they’re heavy into Trouba and going to go deep into Fox who is better.
    A traffic cone on an ELC can replace Staal. You remove him because he's a net negative on the team. Saving cap space is just the gravy.

    They have 14 million to sign Strome/DeAngelo/Fast/Lemieux and fill out the other 2 holes on the roster. It's not enough. You certainly don't lose any of those guys or trade Georgiev for pennies on the dollar in order to ride out Lundqvist and Staal into the sunset.

    They are going to be pinching pennies. They can free up close to 3M if they buy out Staal and Lundqvist, after considering the replacement cost of an ELC LD (say Hajek) and Georgiev at 1.5M.
    Last edited by rmc51; 07-01-2020 at 11:01 AM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    A traffic cone on an ELC can replace Staal. You remove him because he's a net negative on the team. Saving cap space is just the gravy.

    They have 14 million to sign Strome/DeAngelo/Fast/Lemieux and fill out the other 2 holes on the roster. It's not enough. You certainly don't lose any of those guys or trade Georgiev for pennies on the dollar in order to ride out Lundqvist and Staal into the sunset.

    They are going to be pinching pennies. They can free up close to 3M if they buy out Staal and Lundqvist, after considering the replacement cost of an ELC LD (say Hajek) and Georgiev at 1.5M.
    Once they handed that deal to Kreider, there would be casualties. They knew it.
    I’m not convinced that they’re all in the plan long-term.
    Would not surprise me if they dealt ADA. Would not surprise me if they are unwilling to commit to Strome long-term.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •